Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is this a fair reflection??????????

Is this a fair reflection??????????

Old Jul 6th 2009, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold
Default Is this a fair reflection??????????

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...esh-start.html
Old Jul 6th 2009, 5:01 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this a fair reflection??????????

The article (like the previous one in the Mail regarding New Zealand) is (imho) over simplistic and in some matters inaccurate.

The rules regarding what happens if you loose your job whilst on a work visa haven’t changed, that I know of (someone tell me otherwise if I'm wrong). Your work visa was always dependant on your job. If you lost the latter NZIS normally allow you some time to find another job with an employer who will support your visa. As I understand it NZIS have not suddenly become more rigorous in enforcing this rule, in fact anecdotally I hear they are in fact more sympathetic and allow you a little longer these days. Remember that on a work visa you aren’t really able to be much of a burden on the government purse being unemployed as you can’t claim benefits.

I got a work visa but applied for PR straight away (and got it in a matter of weeks) so the inference you have to wait for 2 years in the article is misleading.

Typical Daily Mail if you ask me!
Old Jul 6th 2009, 5:02 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Per that article.
For those interested in the Auditor Generals inquiry please read here
and also here
Old Jul 6th 2009, 5:10 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow
I got a work visa but applied for PR straight away (and got it in a matter of weeks) so the inference you have to wait for 2 years in the article is misleading.
I inferred from the article that some people needed the extra points that time in the country gave them (I presume that time in the country working in your field of work still gives you some extra points).
Old Jul 6th 2009, 5:14 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
I inferred from the article that some people needed the extra points that time in the country gave them (I presume that time in the country working in your field of work still gives you some extra points).
Sounds plausible. Not being on the Work to Residency Visa, I don't really know how this works. Perhaps someone who is on this (or got PR this way) could comment.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
If you have PR you only have to serve 3 months in that job before you can go for another one...well that's what the rule were..have they changed. I appreciate the Kemp chap did not yet have his PR..I guess that's where the problem was. had he had PR he could have gone to any job he liked and the NZIS could have no intervention. Sods law. i do feel for them and I am surprised as his Mrs is a Health Visitor that they did not want ato find a way to keep them. Faceless bureaucrats who live to the letter of the law..don't you just love 'em??
Old Jul 6th 2009, 5:20 am
Cow on the Beach

Originally Posted by Genesis
If you have PR you only have to serve 3 months in that job before you can go for another one...well that's what the rule were..have they changed. I appreciate the Kemp chap did not yet have his PR..I guess that's where the problem was. had he had PR he could have gone to any job he liked and the NZIS could have no intervention. Sods law. i do feel for them and I am surprised as his Mrs is a Health Visitor that they did not want ato find a way to keep them. Faceless bureaucrats who live to the letter of the law..don't you just love 'em??

Seems a bit of a lottery (I guess BEVS article shows that).
Old Jul 6th 2009, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow
Sounds plausible. Not being on the Work to Residency Visa, I don't really know how this works. Perhaps someone who is on this (or got PR this way) could comment.
On WTR you CAN change your job, providing the new job/employer meets the minimum terms of your visa, basically doing the same or very similar jobs, for an accredited employer, for more than the minimum wage (iirc around $55k?) a year.

I believe its straightforward enough to change jobs based on the above, but for whatever reason this guy didn't meet those criteria then he would have to leave the country, its a work visa after all so you need to meet the minimum criteria to stay in NZ, as I suspect you would in any part of the world in a similar situation.

That looks like typical Daily Mail sensationalist, anti-anything foreign picking on the poor plucky Brits abroad, simplified version of the situation. Rag of a newspaper
Old Jul 6th 2009, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of
Default New Zealands job criscis

Maybe an interesting read?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...esh-start.html
Old Jul 6th 2009, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: New Zealands job criscis

Originally Posted by eurotramp
You didn't read the OP, did you!!!!!
Old Jul 6th 2009, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of
Default Re: New Zealands job criscis

Originally Posted by Jim Smith
You didn't read the OP, did you!!!!!
Look..my posting got moved to this thread
Old Jul 6th 2009, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

vicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Genesis

I also read the article, and if you read carefully it actually says that they applied for visitors visa after the husband lost his job and they overstayed! I'm afraid that alone is enough reason to get "kicked out" of the country.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if PR applications will be affected, and more will be rejected
Old Jul 7th 2009, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

The comments are interesting, but probably entirely expected from Daily mail readers.

Again, I think this is just a case of whingers (whatever nationality they may be) who don't want to take personal responsibility for their actions and life decisions.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 11:44 pm
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sr71
The comments are interesting, but probably entirely expected from Daily mail readers.
I agree. Its just another manifestation of the "Bloody immigrants, coming over here and taking our jobs" attitude that's sadly common the world over.

Last edited by NakiMan; Jul 7th 2009 at 11:47 pm.