Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Putting food items In container with furniture, is this allowed?

Putting food items In container with furniture, is this allowed?

Old Jun 3rd 2009, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

cargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nice
Default Putting food items In container with furniture, is this allowed?

We are going to be filling our container soon to send all our worldly goods over the pond to Canada. What will immigration say is we put some things like chocolate, cereal, baby food etc in there to tide us over till we find food the kids will like, and my wife (she is the fussy one ) will this be allowed?
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

lisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud of
Default Re: Putting food items In container with furniture, is this allowed?

hiya

we were told not to put any food in the container at all! was told the dogs at customs might sniff out the food and then your containier would be held up and opened.

We put a few bits in our cases that we needed for the first few days.

Someone on here may tell you different but thats the advice we were given by our shipping company.

Good luck

Lisa dd
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

cargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nice

Originally Posted by lisadd
hiya

we were told not to put any food in the container at all! was told the dogs at customs might sniff out the food and then your containier would be held up and opened.

We put a few bits in our cases that we needed for the first few days.

Someone on here may tell you different but thats the advice we were given by our shipping company.

Good luck

Lisa dd
Thanks sound good enough answer to me so will stick with that then thanks
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

lisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud of

All i kept thinking was it would be just my luck for our container to be opened and i really didnt want my stuff held up so we listened to the shipping company. Our container wasnt opened and we received our stuff very quick!

Good luck

Lisa dd

Originally Posted by cargomatic
Thanks sound good enough answer to me so will stick with that then thanks
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 11:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

We put in a box or two of dried food stuffs (herbs and spices that we already had, left over unopened packs of pasta, etc, and then the newly-purchased salad cream, branston pickle and 24 tins of baked beans

Now then - our container was searched - but not specifically because of food - and the food caused no issues anyway .....
Old Jun 4th 2009, 12:04 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Think ....

if a mouse could chew its way into the packet, or smell the food through the packaging

then you have risk of infestation on the trip over, be it mammal, insect or other

losing the food will be minimal, finding they/it/other made their home in the sofa expensive

So tins and jars should be fine, but boxes and sachets no so much
Old Jun 4th 2009, 12:11 am
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

We are going to be filling our container soon to send all our worldly goods over the pond to Canada. What will immigration say is we put some things like chocolate, cereal, baby food etc in there to tide us over till we find food the kids will like, and my wife (she is the fussy one ) will this be allowed?
We left it all to the packers so they packed everything in the house! including everything in the kitchen cupboards includings spices, pasta, rice, alcohol, flour, tea bags. Literally everything except the fridge and freezer contents. And we didn't have any problems.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

katie1962 will become famous soon enough

Oo er . No, i wouldn;t if I were you. We were told specifically NOT to put any food in the boxes. Any search by customs would be paid by us - with a starting rate of $500 - i would stick with your shippers advice!
Old Jun 4th 2009, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

yeh thats the advice we were given too!

Old Jun 4th 2009, 2:25 am
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

baby food etc in there to tide us over till we find food the kids will like,
Two things come to mind, 1)what happens if you do not find food that the children like? Go back to UK? Starve?

2)I have not been to New Brunswick but I am fairly confident, in fact will probably bet a lot of money on the fact that there are shops that will be open during the day to 'tide us over'.

Why take the risk of all the problems listed above?
Old Jun 4th 2009, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen Parnell
Two things come to mind, 1)what happens if you do not find food that the children like? Go back to UK? Starve?

2)I have not been to New Brunswick but I am fairly confident, in fact will probably bet a lot of money on the fact that there are shops that will be open during the day to 'tide us over'.

Why take the risk of all the problems listed above?
Why be so sarcastic The OP was only trying to avoid possible problems.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 5:28 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Just a query on the tide us over bit -are you sending your stuff well ahead of you leaving? If not you will be waiting a good few weeks for yr stuff to turn up . . .
Old Jun 4th 2009, 3:49 pm
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fuschiagirl
Why be so sarcastic The OP was only trying to avoid possible problems.
Actually that was not me being really sarcastic, i can be much worse.

I am sure that the OP did think this through but sometimes some OP post questions without thinking through possible answers. That is why they post the questions to people like us. They want us to give honest answers and opinions on to the best course of action.

I would recommend to anyone wanting to avoid problems to not bring food over in containers which could get searched etc (like people in the above posts have mentioned).

I was also clearly pointing out that there are shops over in NB and like the post immediately above mentions, there could be a time delay with the delivery of the container.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen Parnell
Actually that was not me being really sarcastic, i can be much worse.

I am sure that the OP did think this through but sometimes some OP post questions without thinking through possible answers. That is why they post the questions to people like us. They want us to give honest answers and opinions on to the best course of action.

I would recommend to anyone wanting to avoid problems to not bring food over in containers which could get searched etc (like people in the above posts have mentioned).

I was also clearly pointing out that there are shops over in NB and like the post immediately above mentions, there could be a time delay with the delivery of the container.
In my opinion "pointing out that there are shops over in NB" is sarcastic and NOT "honest answers and opinions on the best course of action". Or does it depend on the level of sarcasm?

Perhaps this poster should follow your advice in a previous thread about pegging out washing and "just stay in the UK"
Old Jun 4th 2009, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

And hello... please read the list of prohibited imports! Many foods are specifically not allowed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.