Hard times in Canada

Old May 16th 2009, 9:12 am
Just Joined

salemaince is on a distinguished road
Default Hard times in Canada

My hubby has just recently lost his job in Calgary and we don't know what to do....He's a cabinet maker and the company he worked for just drop just like that!! we've been here nearly two years and they started on extending our work permit so that we could then apply for our permanent visa through the canadian experience class and then they decided to lay him off...we also bought a new house and we have put all our money in it, also our children are here with us, all four of them and I feel really down about the way we were treated....He's looking for jobs in Calgary but we only have about three months before our work permit runs out so without any jobs we have to give up our house and maybe be deported back to the UK cos we haven't even got the money to pay our flight back to the UK!!! We don't want to go back but we don't know what to do if he doesn't get a job!!! Has anyone got any advice????
Old May 16th 2009, 9:46 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hard times in Canada

Originally Posted by salemaince
My hubby has just recently lost his job in Calgary and we don't know what to do....He's a cabinet maker and the company he worked for just drop just like that!! we've been here nearly two years and they started on extending our work permit so that we could then apply for our permanent visa through the canadian experience class and then they decided to lay him off...we also bought a new house and we have put all our money in it, also our children are here with us, all four of them and I feel really down about the way we were treated....He's looking for jobs in Calgary but we only have about three months before our work permit runs out so without any jobs we have to give up our house and maybe be deported back to the UK cos we haven't even got the money to pay our flight back to the UK!!! We don't want to go back but we don't know what to do if he doesn't get a job!!! Has anyone got any advice????
Don't give up. Pray about the situation.
Try and network as much as you can, maybe someone on this site may know someone with an opening. Is there any other kind of work he can do ? Can you maybe find some work to help out ?
I hope things work out, but living paycheck to paycheck without a healthy reserve for a rainy day is a pretty dangerous strategy especially with a family in tow.
Old May 16th 2009, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know if you are allowed to move to another province, but I hear there is construction work in Saskatchewan.

If you can move - try these

http://www.saskjobs.ca/jsp/joborder/...rder_id=251450

http://www.saskjobs.ca/jsp/joborder/...rder_id=251417

http://www.saskjobs.ca/jsp/joborder/...rder_id=245210

I found those in a couple of minutes

http://www.saskjobs.ca/
Old May 16th 2009, 1:30 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Is it worth checking with Service Canada to see if he qualifies for some Employment Insurance (EI) to tide you over in the mean time? I thought I read somewhere on here that it is possible to claim if on a TWP, depending on hours put in, etc.

Good luck

Flossie
Old May 16th 2009, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your help We have tried for the Employment insurance, we just need to hand in a few things to Service Canada to receive it even though I heard it takes 6 weeks to get it.... Anyway we'll look at Saskatchewan jobs and see what they have...thanks again
Old May 16th 2009, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

mardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond repute

You poor things I'm so sorry its all coming at once for you. I don't know what I'd do in your circumstances but maybe a change of Province might be a last resort. I live in Ottawa and the building and stimulus money going on at the moment is noticeable. If he's a carpenter there must be jobs here for him. I wouldn't know where to start, I'm no expert I just want to offer something to say.

I dearly hope your circumstances change for the best very soon and I wish you all the luck in the world.
Old May 16th 2009, 6:29 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Try Westridge Cabinet makers in Red Deer - I know it's a fair drive but they have always have had job adverts going. Good luck and try not to lose heart just yet.

There is also another kitchen showroom just opening up, but I have no idea what it's called, it's on the highway so if we go out that way in the next couple of days I'll take note.
Old May 17th 2009, 12:16 am
Just Joined

thanks that's made me feel a bit better
Old May 17th 2009, 2:10 pm
Heading to toronto or cal

joycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to all

Originally Posted by salemaince
Hello Salemaince,

Really sorry to hear about your situation. However, some friends of mine who have lost their job in the UK are also facing the same situation. I think theirs is even worst, as the home office only gives them 28days to leave the country. Many have children and have bought houses here, but they have to leave within the 28 days otherwise they may be deported.

Just try and search for jobs in other province and hopefully things work out for you and your family. Goodluck
Old May 17th 2009, 5:02 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look here.... http://calgary.kijiji.ca/f-cabinet-j...eywordZcabinet

http://www.basejobs.com/Jobs/Manager...aker-2452.html

http://www.workopolis.com/work.aspx?...TRADES&lang=EN

http://jobs.albertatradesmen.com/cat...arpenter-jobs/

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; May 17th 2009 at 5:07 pm.
Old May 17th 2009, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

Thanks
Old May 17th 2009, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by joycejimi
Hello Salemaince,

Really sorry to hear about your situation. However, some friends of mine who have lost their job in the UK are also facing the same situation. I think theirs is even worst, as the home office only gives them 28days to leave the country. Many have children and have bought houses here, but they have to leave within the 28 days otherwise they may be deported.

Just try and search for jobs in other province and hopefully things work out for you and your family. Goodluck

Thanks!! Sorry to hear about your friends, I hope things will get better for them. Can't they get jobs here in Canada? I know there's still jobs here, we're still looking, I'll let you guys know if my hubby has got another one and thank you for all your support it helps ...I'm so pleased that I'm not in the UK at the mo tho with all what's been going on
Old May 17th 2009, 9:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to you.

Hopefully the job market in Alberta is better then BC (well my part of BC) 6 months for me since lay off and not one interview and very few adverts for my city.

Good luck. Try for EI if you can, sometimes they are helpful.