Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Customs Restrictions for Dubai?

Customs Restrictions for Dubai?

Old May 11th 2009, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute
Default Customs Restrictions for Dubai?

Hi

We are going to the UK for a wedding in July and on the return flight will be stopping in Dubai for a couple of nights.

I am planning on bringing a few foodie treats back for my OH, which should not be a problem for Oz customs as long as I declare them on my landing card etc BUT will there will be a problem in Dubai with these things? Likley to be a few bags of crisps, biscuits etc.

Ta

Sam
Old May 12th 2009, 1:32 am
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Customs Restrictions for Dubai?

I came back through Dubai with crisps/chocolate/biscuits etc etc with no problem at all. All of the food except for some biscuits were in my hold luggage. I wasn't even asked if I had any food anyway.

What I was warned about was taking medicines/medication in hand luggage. Apparently the authorities don't take too kindly to you carrying even headache tablets on you. I take medication so got a letter from my GP stating the dosage and my name/age and when I got searched it was fine.

I have seen a thread on here about it. You could get some info if you do a search.

Enjoy your trip to the UK
Old May 12th 2009, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Hi

We are going to the UK for a wedding in July and on the return flight will be stopping in Dubai for a couple of nights.

I am planning on bringing a few foodie treats back for my OH, which should not be a problem for Oz customs as long as I declare them on my landing card etc BUT will there will be a problem in Dubai with these things? Likley to be a few bags of crisps, biscuits etc.

Ta

Sam
You will be fine. as already mentioned, it's mainly medication that they are concerned about. Hope you have a great time in Dubai. We have just spent 6 days there and loved it.

Last edited by sassie; May 12th 2009 at 2:03 am.
Old May 12th 2009, 2:02 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Might be worth asking in the ME forum...though I think there's been a few threads already...
Old May 12th 2009, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Is it codeine that you're not allowed to bring in? It's worth a mention because you can buy headache tablets here containing it.
Old May 12th 2009, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks for the replies, worth noting about the medications as I always tend to carry some paracetamol and migraine tabs with me in my handbag.

I'll also ask in the ME forum

Thanks

Sam
Old May 12th 2009, 2:46 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
Is it codeine that you're not allowed to bring in? It's worth a mention because you can buy headache tablets here containing it.
Yup, that's a no no.
Old May 12th 2009, 2:55 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Having codeine in your boodstream is also an offence, so if you take some tablets before you arrive in Dubai and they decide to give you a blood test, you will be in the doo doo.

Also beware of poppy seeds, make sure you don't have any of those in your food or even eating a poppy seed roll at the airport in the UK will get you in deep sh*t if you get some seeds on your clothes...

I'm worried about transiting in Dubai because I'll be carrying Midazolam, I'll have a prescription but I still reckon I'll get locked up if they find it (it's for my daughter's epilepsy but it's also a well known date rape drug)
Old May 12th 2009, 2:57 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Have to be really careful in Dubai. One guy had a speck of cannabis on the sole of his shoe and got 3 years in prison.
Old May 12th 2009, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

taylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant future

Most drugs that are banned are fine if you have a doctors letter, i have taken all sorts in..lol

cannabis, yes you will get locked up, but not for any prescription medicine.

My parents live there as well as my brother, pre oz i used to live there half the year and i used to take codeine (nurofen plus) in my hand luggage and have been checked a few times with no problems.

Its definately not as bad as people seem to think, the dj who got held is a known cannabis user and had been using up until his flight and a had a tiny amount still on him. All the stories ar sensationalised.

Dubai is so two face though, if you go into a pharmacy you can get any antibiotic over the counter without a prescription, i have taken in prozac, codeine, no problems.