Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport Delays

Passport Delays

Old May 7th 2009, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

aliandchris is just really nicealiandchris is just really nicealiandchris is just really nicealiandchris is just really nicealiandchris is just really nicealiandchris is just really nicealiandchris is just really nicealiandchris is just really nice
Default Passport Delays

I was thinking people could post their time frames on passport delays here. Currently the British Embassy in Washington is experiencing technical difficulties that make British passport changes horrendously slow.

If you've recently sent off your passport and have received it back, can you please post when you sent it, the date they took the payment, and when you received the passport.
Old May 7th 2009, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

Russ1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Passport Delays

i sent mine of at the end of March and they sent it back to me last week, however UPS lost it so i still don't have it....

I called the Abtran number half way through the process and was fed the boiler plate violin tune of technical difficulties etc.

So in short 6 weeks or thereabouts was the time frame. Payment was taken on the second week of the process
Old May 8th 2009, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

TonyD is an unknown quantity at this point

Chris, Here is the info you wanted:
The British Embassy Passport processing office in Washington D.C. received my Passport Renewal Application on April 1st and charged my credit card for processing on April 15. At the time I applied they promised in writing on their website that processing time was 10 days. It is now May 08 so I called Abtran and was charged (!) to discover it will take another 6 weeks - so a total of 8 weeks but of course no promise .
I wonder if anyone at the Embassy is aware of these delays, the lack of updates and if they care or will fix it ? Hopefully someone with a sense of National pride will resolve this.
Old May 8th 2009, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

Russ1 is an unknown quantity at this point

TonyD

I too called Abtran and will be charged a nice wedge for it, however less than 10 days later i have a message from UPS to say it's being delivered, not sure if calling Abtran somehow expedites the process...

Doubtful
Old May 8th 2009, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your experience.
My concerns :
1. Abtran are not reporting these huge delays to anyone who could resolve it at the Embassy.
2. The Embassy is blissfully ignorant of these delays and just refers enquires to their "partner Abtran"
3. Temporary passports should have been offered at no charge to people whose applications are so egregiously delayed.
4.Anyone whose passport application was delayed beyond the 10 days originally promised should have been contacted immediately and offered a no-cost temporary.Their ostrich approach is going to cause unnecessary fury from Ex-pats whose tickets are wasted and travel plans destroyed.All avoidable. Put me in charge -I'll fix it!
Old May 8th 2009, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

1234qwer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TonyD
Thanks for your experience.
My concerns :
1. Abtran are not reporting these huge delays to anyone who could resolve it at the Embassy.
2. The Embassy is blissfully ignorant of these delays and just refers enquires to their "partner Abtran"
3. Temporary passports should have been offered at no charge to people whose applications are so egregiously delayed.
4.Anyone whose passport application was delayed beyond the 10 days originally promised should have been contacted immediately and offered a no-cost temporary.Their ostrich approach is going to cause unnecessary fury from Ex-pats whose tickets are wasted and travel plans destroyed.All avoidable. Put me in charge -I'll fix it!
we should all make official complaints to our consulates maybe we can get back our own passport office in Ottawa money is tight for all of us, we shouldn't have to pay twice for our trips because of their screwups and be expected to pay for postage by UPS for a 3 day service at almost 3 time the cost of Fedex for overnight.
Old May 8th 2009, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by 1234qwer
we should all make official complaints to our consulates maybe we can get back our own passport office in Ottawa money is tight for all of us, we shouldn't have to pay twice for our trips because of their screwups and be expected to pay for postage by UPS for a 3 day service at almost 3 time the cost of Fedex for overnight.
I agree ,but who has a contact phone number at the Embassy??
Without a method of alerting the Embassy we're all just "wingeing Poms"
Old May 8th 2009, 9:59 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

These two comments are on the Brit Embassy web site:-

We are currently experiencing unusually high volumes and some serious technical problems. This means it may take up to four to six weeks for your application to be processed. We are working hard to clear applications as quickly as possible.

We strongly advise against making any firm travel arrangements until you receive your passport.
Old May 9th 2009, 12:39 am
Just Joined

aliandchris is just really nicealiandchris is just really nicealiandchris is just really nicealiandchris is just really nicealiandchris is just really nicealiandchris is just really nicealiandchris is just really nicealiandchris is just really nice

Chris, Here is the info you wanted:
The British Embassy Passport processing office in Washington D.C. received my Passport Renewal Application on April 1st and charged my credit card for processing on April 15. At the time I applied they promised in writing on their website that processing time was 10 days. It is now May 08 so I called Abtran and was charged (!) to discover it will take another 6 weeks - so a total of 8 weeks but of course no promise .
I wonder if anyone at the Embassy is aware of these delays, the lack of updates and if they care or will fix it ? Hopefully someone with a sense of National pride will resolve this.
Whats the 8 weeks bit about? My parents are going over to see my wife's family's place and if it's 8 weeks then we won't be there at the same time as them. Russd, have you received yours yet. We also had our payment taken on April 15th. We're simply doing a name change, the sad thing is we may have been able to go over without doing that. C'est la vive.
chris and ali
Old May 9th 2009, 3:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lansbury
These two comments are on the Brit Embassy web site:-

We are currently experiencing unusually high volumes and some serious technical problems. This means it may take up to four to six weeks for your application to be processed. We are working hard to clear applications as quickly as possible.

We strongly advise against making any firm travel arrangements until you receive your passport.
Unfortunately this advisory was not published until long after they received my application & after they had charged my card when the promise was still 10 days.
The other problem is they did not inform me of the delay - I only found out because I called long after I should have already received the new passport.
No alternative was offered -like issuing a temporary passport while they solve their problems.
For some applicants. such a delay will cause much needless grief. I hope that by putting this information up on this Forum it may help avert such problems for those that find this thread.
Old May 9th 2009, 10:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by aliandchris
I was thinking people could post their time frames on passport delays here. Currently the British Embassy in Washington is experiencing technical difficulties that make British passport changes horrendously slow.

If you've recently sent off your passport and have received it back, can you please post when you sent it, the date they took the payment, and when you received the passport.
Claire is who l spoke to, she is very understanding and her number is
(613)364-6201
her message says she cant help with passport issues but just stay on the line and leave a message anyway, she got mine moving
Old May 9th 2009, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

Thank you
Old May 10th 2009, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

Thank you
l hope it helps, good luck
Old May 11th 2009, 12:28 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by 1234qwer
l hope it helps, good luck
Hope she's not flooded with voicemails by Monday.
Old May 11th 2009, 3:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by aliandchris
Hope she's not flooded with voicemails by Monday.
not from me - that # is Canada so no use to me unfortunately but hopefully of value to those in Canada..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.