Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can anyone help with Mandurah/Bunbury

Can anyone help with Mandurah/Bunbury

Old May 3rd 2009, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Lois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really nice
Default Can anyone help with Mandurah/Bunbury

Hi, can anyone help? We are just in the throws of starting the application progress for State Sponsorship to WA.

My husband is a carpenter by trade, but has his own building company. Initially we are looking at Mandurah and Bunbury as our first options.

We have two girls aged 3 and 6.

Just want some help please?! what is the work situation like in these areas? and the schools?

Any advise tips or other locations we should consider would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 3rd 2009, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

movin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nice
Default Re: Can anyone help with Mandurah/Bunbury

Basically there is a recession and no one is buying and therefore building houses, so I would wait a few years otherwise it could be tough...although I would imagine UK is worse
Old May 3rd 2009, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

I live very close to Bunbury and would go with the advice of the poster above. There are an awful lot of people out of work, returning from mines back to their trade jobs and i really would NOT like to be arriving just now
Old May 3rd 2009, 11:59 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daunted
I live very close to Bunbury and would go with the advice of the poster above. There are an awful lot of people out of work, returning from mines back to their trade jobs and i really would NOT like to be arriving just now
Absolutely agree as well, I am in SW, have been for 10 years and have never seen it so bad. Especially just with local papers that used to have several pages of job ads, now you are lucky to find maybe 5 ads per week...
Old May 3rd 2009, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Lois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really nice

Thank you for your honest opinions, thought the recession would obviously have some effect but didnt anticipate it being that bad

Only thing that makes us want to act sooner rather than later is that age is not on our side. Both 41 this year!
Old May 4th 2009, 12:51 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

We live in Mandurah. One of my closest friends is a builder (only been in the country 4 months) and hasn't had a day out of work yet, and has worked lined up almost to Christmas.
I would chose Mandurah over Bunbury, due to it's closeness to Perth. We have 2 boys (10 and 1) - the primary schools are average/good, but seemingly the high schools are dire and that you really need to get your kid into a private one - which aren't as expencive as you'd think.
Any other questions feel free to PM me!

Kareena
Old May 5th 2009, 12:39 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kar-kier
I would chose Mandurah over Bunbury, due to it's closeness to Perth.
Why? Seems strange comment?
Old May 5th 2009, 11:20 pm
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Why? Seems strange comment?
Because it's closer to Perth, like I said!
Old May 6th 2009, 11:52 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Because it's closer to Perth, like I said!
Rockingham is even closer, Fremantle closer still. So what?
Old May 6th 2009, 12:46 pm
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

probably compared to Mandurah Bunbury is a Fu***n shit hole.Sorry about the grammer just watched an hour of chubby on you tube
Old May 6th 2009, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catch
probably compared to Mandurah Bunbury is a Fu***n shit hole.Sorry about the grammer just watched an hour of chubby on you tube
each to their own - personally i would choose Bunbury over Rockingham any day of the week, but then again thats just me so just dont jump down my throat
Old May 6th 2009, 1:21 pm
Living the dream!

But the question was Bunbury OR Mandurah! Don't really see what your point is at all. I (me) would prefer to live in Mandurah rather than Bunbury, as Mandurah is closer to Perth!

What's your point caller?
Old May 6th 2009, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

But the question was Bunbury OR Mandurah! Don't really see what your point is at all. I (me) would prefer to live in Mandurah rather than Bunbury, as Mandurah is closer to Perth!

LOL maybe we should phone a friend??
Old May 6th 2009, 11:22 pm
Devil's Advocate

Why is being close ot Perth an advantage? If thats true why not live in Rockingham? Or Perth itself.
Old May 6th 2009, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lois1
Hi, can anyone help? We are just in the throws of starting the application progress for State Sponsorship to WA.

My husband is a carpenter by trade, but has his own building company. Initially we are looking at Mandurah and Bunbury as our first options.

We have two girls aged 3 and 6.

Any advise tips or other locations we should consider would be greatly appreciated.
Looking at the latest data release by the ABS (http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/[email protected]?OpenDocument) regarding building approvals, the numbers for WA are not too bad (March 1195) compared to previous months. In addition, the government will continue to hand out the grant of $21,000 for first home buyers in the next financial year that construction doesn't dry up completely.

I believe that you need regional state sponsorship, my bet would be Mandurah because it is closest to Perth. As a suburb, the closest to Perth would be Lakelands (estate with over 2,000 plots). In one hour you are in Perth by train if you need a change.

I can't say how the work situation is like, I only hear that a lot of ex-miners are trying to find work in their former trade.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.