Postponing going?

Old Apr 2nd 2009, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

mr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of light
Default Postponing going?

We were hoping to move to Brisbane in October next year. I am presently a UK Firefighter and was looking for a career change when we got there.However because of the Credit crunch, the mines shutting and jobs just generally drying up it now seems that every b*gger is trying to get into the public services.QLDPOL have said that their recruitment is on overdrive at the moment and they are able to pick the pick of the bunch. Also I dont know how long it is going to take to join up and I am concerned whether I will be able to get any job to tide me over whilst waiting.

I have got to the end of the Metropolitan Police recruitment process and am just waiting for a start date and I am considering in taking the job for a couple of years in the hope that it will give me a better shot at the QLD police? To be honest I just dont know what to do?

Any words of wisdom anyone?

JOHN
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

richie-318 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Postponing going?

John

Stick with the Met for now and get some experience. I think it will only be a matter of time before WAPOL/SAPOL recruit from the UK again and by that time you will have the level of service they are after and some pension behind you.

The Met has got to be worth it for the money at least and street duties has gone back to the old way. Every one will tell you it's much better that way.

I am waiting to see if I get an interview for WAPOL along with lots of others who applied last year.

Good Luck with your training. I recommend working somewhere in central London.

Rich
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

mr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the reply. My wife is a (newly qualified) nurse and that was how we were going to get our visa.

JOHN
Old Apr 6th 2009, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr luvpants
Thanks for the reply. My wife is a (newly qualified) nurse and that was how we were going to get our visa.

JOHN
John, not sure if you're aware, but the visa they offer nurses is usually a temporary one.
With that you'd be unable to apply for the police in Australia until you had your PR, which can take some time.

Like the previous poster said, you'd probably be better off waiting a while then applying as a UK cop to WAPol or SAPol.

Steve
Old Apr 7th 2009, 8:09 pm
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

With the downturn in Oz it could be sometime before WA/SA come back as locals are eager to find employment, which means the posts are harder to fill.

Go to the Met and enjoy 3/4 years of policing in London, then see where the land lies
Old May 25th 2009, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by richie-318
John

Stick with the Met for now and get some experience. I think it will only be a matter of time before WAPOL/SAPOL recruit from the UK again and by that time you will have the level of service they are after and some pension behind you.

The Met has got to be worth it for the money at least and street duties has gone back to the old way. Every one will tell you it's much better that way.

I am waiting to see if I get an interview for WAPOL along with lots of others who applied last year.

Good Luck with your training. I recommend working somewhere in central London.

Rich
Did you get an interview?

JOHN
Old May 25th 2009, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

richie-318 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Postponing going?

Originally Posted by mr luvpants
Did you get an interview?

JOHN
Did I eck... They kept us all waiting till about a month ago and then sent out an email saying in effect sorry people but due to credit crunch will not be continuing will UK recruitment.

I should of gone for SAPOL....

Am now looking at doing some kind of study to get over there and gain PR. If I can get that would then apply as a resident. Will be a long round to it but will be worth it in the end.

Have you started with the MET yet and have they told you where you are going. If not I recommend central London still. Lets just say I've done central and outer and prefer central more frequent chances get courses and O/T...
Old May 25th 2009, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Hi

Been offered Setember as a start date but I am still mulling it over!Do I:

1. Stay as I am (FF) and go over to oz in early 2011. This way I can get a career break in case it all goes tits up. And apply for the police over there.But I have to do an educational course to apply.

or

2. Join the MET, do it for 18-24 months, then move to oz. That way I may be able to lateral transfer into the force over there. No career break but I will be a copper in the MET and life is all about experiences.

Its doing my head in!

JHN