Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Canberra UK passport office relocating to NZ

Canberra UK passport office relocating to NZ

Old Mar 18th 2009, 10:14 am
Just Joined

farnarkler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canberra UK passport office relocating to NZ

My father's just read his Royal Navy Association newsletter. Someone has written that in June 2009 the Canberra UK passport office will be relocating from a building near Canberra airport to somewhere in New Zealand.

My father rang the person who put it in the newsletter and they said they'd got the information from someone at the Canberra UK passport office. I checked that and couldn't find anything at all about it. There is nothing about relocation.

Have any of you read or heard about this???
Old Mar 18th 2009, 10:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canberra UK passport office relocating to NZ

Yes the security guard at the BHC told me that when I got a passport renewed in January. Must say it sounded quite odd at the time and someone else has mentioned that NZ is closing their passport office and that they will all be done from Canberra so I have no idea what is the truth.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 11:11 am
Just Joined

farnarkler is an unknown quantity at this point

According to the uk in Australia website, the Canberra passport office processes approximately 60,000 applications per year. I don't see how the office would be relocated.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

http://www.globalcareerlink.com/go/n...lia&country=UK
Old Mar 18th 2009, 12:54 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

So Canberra will do only visas, and Wellington will do only passports? Huh - interesting. I suppose it makes sense, and that the only people it will negatively affect will be those who used to drop off their apps by hand - which can't be many, can it? If you're doing it by post it shouldn't make a difference...should it?
Old Mar 19th 2009, 1:34 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
So Canberra will do only visas, and Wellington will do only passports? Huh - interesting. I suppose it makes sense, and that the only people it will negatively affect will be those who used to drop off their apps by hand - which can't be many, can it? If you're doing it by post it shouldn't make a difference...should it?
Yep, it'll involve international postage for the passport, with the subsequent risk of document loss being higher, at the very least.
Though as my post from the UK usually arrives qquicker than my post from inside Aus it may make the service quicker if not cheaper!
Old Mar 19th 2009, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

They send them by secure post in other words have to sign for them. I know because the last time mine got signed for by someone and put in my letter box and there was a big hoo ha about it as it was not my signature and we do not know who did it. Might have been a neighbour but never found out anyway but the courier firm were not impressed with their employee as they can lose the business.