Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

3 year parent/grandparent visitor visa ... erm

3 year parent/grandparent visitor visa ... erm

Old Mar 14th 2009, 9:46 pm
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 3 year parent/grandparent visitor visa ... erm

i just want to check that my understanding is correct - if anyone can confirm, or share experiences i'd really appreciate it... i've posted this in the main forum rather than immigration cos i thought more people might see it?!

once we're in NZ with PR we have to wait for 3 years before we can sponsor a solo parent to join us.....

so what to do in the three years running up to then?

originally we'd thought a series of 6 month visits, but then i stumbled across the 3 year parent/grandparent visitor visa

as i understand it a parent/grandparent of someone with PR in NZ can apply for the 3 year visa which allows them to spend up to 18 months in NZ in the three years - max of 6 months at a time, but can leave and come back the next day to trigger another 6 months?

so, i'm now thinking that we could do

couple of months first visit on standard visitor visa
few months later to come back on standard visitor visa, extend to 9 months, then
apply for 3 year parent visitor visa and have 18 months in NZ prior to sorting out sponsorship

what do you reckon?

guess we'd need to sort out 'travel' insurance etc and no doubt lots of other stuff too, but as an idea, is it a go-er?

has anyone else used the parent visitor visa? if not, why not? if so, how did it work out?

thanks, as ever!
Old Mar 14th 2009, 10:24 pm
Chocoholic

Yummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to all
Default Re: 3 year parent/grandparent visitor visa ... erm

Hey

It will be interesting to see if this is possible.

When we get to NZ, my parents have agreed to come for 6 months at a time also... They pick my kids up from school and watch them while me and hubby work, so any way to get them to stay longer is a bonus for us!!!

So i am with u on this Hope it is possible and you can get your parents there with you for longer.

Good luck,

Caz xx
Old Mar 15th 2009, 4:16 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I think you're correct that you have to wait 3 years on your PR before you can sponsor your parents.

As for the visas you suggest, I'm pretty sure there was a stipulation about when you (rather your parents) last had a visa and how long they spent here when applying for the next. I am pretty sure you wouldn't be able to do as you suggest as there is a rule about how long you can be in NZ on a visa in any 12/18 months.

We too have looked at all different ways regarding getting parents over but apart from the waiting 3 years till we can sponsor we have drawn a blank, so it would be interesting to know if you find out different. Please keep us posted.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice

Looks like you can stretch a visitors visa to a year

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...asavisitor.htm
Old Mar 15th 2009, 8:29 pm
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point

well, this is a brief overview... http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...alvisitors.htm
scroll down to multiple entry visitor visa for parents / grandparents of NZ citizens/residents

in the FAQ bit of the INZ website, there is a more extensive response with the links to follow for the relevant forms etc this is where i understood it to say 6 months, extend to 9 months and this wouldn't count against the 3 year visa... i'm going to read again, and i'll post the link when i find it again!

i think it's the difference in maximum stay and how often you can enter and leave that makes this visa really different to just a series of standard 6 month ones....

any more thoughts? i'm not suggesting that she fully move over and 'live' until we're able to 'sponsor' formally... but extended visits without worrying about outstaying/breaching 'standard' visitors visa...

it's a mare isn't it?! with hindsight, it might have been better to include on the EOI as household...

ho hum

hang on... just found some more info http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...itpleentry.htm though this wasn't what i was looking for! maybe more to follow

Last edited by Stoof; Mar 15th 2009 at 8:34 pm. Reason: added another link
Old Mar 15th 2009, 10:42 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

now i'm even more confused, lol! The way I read it is that if you get granted a 3 year visa it still only allows you multiple entry up to 6 (or was that 9) months at a time so you'd not be able to stay in NZ for the whole 3 years.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 11:03 pm
Chocoholic

Yummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
now i'm even more confused, lol! The way I read it is that if you get granted a 3 year visa it still only allows you multiple entry up to 6 (or was that 9) months at a time so you'd not be able to stay in NZ for the whole 3 years.
Agreed!!! Confused.com????

Everything i read seems to be contradictory

From what i have read now i believe that if you go on a visitors visa and stay for 9 months, you are not allowed to enter new zealand for another 9 months after the date you left, or alternatively if u stayed for 12 months you need to stay away for 12 months, however if you apply for the parent/grandparent visa, previous visits to NZ are not incuded in the time/visit constraints of the visa.

So in that case, would it suggest that parents can stay for 9 months, go home then apply for the parent visitor visa and return for another 9 months without having to wait the 9 month return curfew? This would mean that they are in NZ for 18 months within a 2 year period.

I am not sure if that would be allowed!! Still confused!!! lol

So i guess the best way to go is 6 months of every year until the 3 year period is over in which case you can then sponsor your parents.

My head is melting now

Good luck