Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

opening a bank account

opening a bank account

Old Mar 4th 2009, 11:08 am
Just Joined

fran1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default opening a bank account

Hi need some advice about when to open a bank account. I am thinking of emigrating and have been looking up various things. Has anyone had problems opening an acocunt in NZ? I ask because I have had debt problems in the past in the UK and want to know if this would be a problem opening an account for NZ?

Fran
Old Mar 4th 2009, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: opening a bank account

We opened an account via email with Kiwi Bank, all we had to do was send copies of address and copies of passports etc, and it was so easy, my account was open within the week.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fran1
Hi need some advice about when to open a bank account. I am thinking of emigrating and have been looking up various things. Has anyone had problems opening an acocunt in NZ? I ask because I have had debt problems in the past in the UK and want to know if this would be a problem opening an account for NZ?

Fran
you can open a bank account before you arrive with most banks, we did it through NBNZ, but westpac, anz and asb all offer you that service. look on their websites under "moving to nz" or something similar.

As far as i know NZ banks are not able to check your credit history in the UK, but i may be wrong
Old Mar 5th 2009, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

Trenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to all

We used ASB, who are part of Commonwealth Bank of West Island. I am sure the other banks (BNZ, Westpac, National) all offer very similar services, but we found ASB to be super helpful - they made everything very easy in the UK and on arrival in NZ were (are) very helpful.

As a new migrant you will have no credit history in NZ, so no need to worry about your UK past. Because of this you may find you need to put up a bond for some essentials such as phone line and electric supplier etc. just until you are established.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

nzfarmers is a jewel in the roughnzfarmers is a jewel in the roughnzfarmers is a jewel in the roughnzfarmers is a jewel in the rough

Hi we used Westpac who have their own Migrant bank manager who sorted out everything for our arrival. I have listed his details below.
Westpac Bank New Zealand migrant banking manager Richie Owen
E-mail [email protected]
Old Mar 5th 2009, 8:29 pm
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

HSBC Premier is great...
They have International Banking Centres in every country and they can organise your account opening within 3days... That's for Premier accounts, but I guess regular accounts can benefit too...