Parent Visa Options

Old Feb 13th 2009, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Plove will become famous soon enough
Default Parent Visa Options

Hello Everyone Quick question on the Parent visa`s.

My family and I are looking to start the whole process off, initially thinking of applying with my mother in law on our 175 visa, however just wondered what other options there were, I have heard of the Contributory Parents visa and the Non Contributory Parents Visa, not sure the difference ?

Mother-in-law is 69 this year, no money, good health.
She has one son (living in Perth) has been for many many years and one daughter... my lovely wife.

Any clarifications gratefully received.

Kind Regards

Paul
Old Feb 13th 2009, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Peter Moss is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Parent Visa Options

Hi..If your mother meets the balance of family test (BOF) in that 50% of her children live as permanent residents in Australia, then she may be eligible to apply as an aged parent or a contributory aged parent.

The former has a processing time of 10 -15 years, the latter 9 to 18 months at present, and the latter has a substantially higher second visa application charge (A$31725) which is essentially a payment of costs towards Medicare contributions. HTH PM
Old Feb 15th 2009, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

So in that case the only other viable option is to get her there on our 175 visa as an dependant then ?.

Kind Regards

Paul
Old Feb 15th 2009, 5:09 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Plove
So in that case the only other viable option is to get her there on our 175 visa as an dependant then ?.
On what basis do you think she is dependent? DIAC require full financial dependency, and that's usually near impossible for those in the U.K. to prove.

Also, if you win that argument, then any health problems with parent cause whole family's visa application to be refused.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Surely if one can prove we have been financially supporting her, as in Bank statements showing us putting money into her account regularly for a period or a couple of years prior to visa application then this must go someway in proving financial support ? If her Health is good.. then its a pretty good case ?
Old Feb 15th 2009, 5:21 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Surely if one can prove we have been financially supporting her, as in Bank statements showing us putting money into her account regularly for a period or a couple of years prior to visa application then this must go someway in proving financial support ? If her Health is good.. then its a pretty good case ?
Does she have a pension or any other source of income?
Old Feb 15th 2009, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

She has the state pension, but this does not provide her with enough financial support to live a comfortable life, thus we have supported her monthly to allow her to not worry about paying her gas & elctric bill etc. Food as well, before we stepped in the fridge was practically empty, now she has always got food available without worrying.

We pay some bills on and off for her as well. If we were to remove our financial contribution she would definetly not be able to look after herself.
We pay a lady to pop in and clean for her once a week as well, would this be also additional evidence ? Her council flat is classed as a disabled flat I am not sure if this would help? she does not have a disability, it was just luck she got it.

Thanks in advance.

Paul
Old Feb 15th 2009, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

She gets the state pension, and so is not dependent. Open and shut case in DIAC's eyes, I would have thought. Sorry.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

Ok Thanks for that, If she lived with us would that count for anything ?

Kind Regards

Paul
Old Feb 15th 2009, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

Kind Regards

Paul
I don't think it would help much unless whe was living with you for medical reasons, but that opens up a different problem as noted above. I strongly recommend you get in touch with an agent at this stage to work out your options.

Australia does make it harder to reunite families that a lot of other countries, which can explain to some extent why many migrants are here as nuclear rather than extended families. In the UK I had the impression that once one person in a family was in the country, it was comparitively easy for a lot of relatives to come over. Then again, that may have had something to do with less stringent immigration controls in general.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

Kind Regards

Paul

If she lived with you and you paid for her meals and she paid for her clothing out of her pension or just banked her pension and this was for close to a 3 year period, you may have some chance convincing DIAC. The MRT would be easier to convince if these were the circumstances. Financial dependency does not have to be out of necessity so if you were and could prove that you were paying for her shelter, food and clothing, even if her pension was huge, then she could be considered to be dependent. so the possible way to do this would be to include her in your 175 proving whatever period you could that you were paying for her Food clothing and shelter. Expect her not to get approved. When you get to Australia, assuming you keep paying for her food, clothin gand shelter, yo ucan then apply to sponsor her as an Aged dependent relative and, with you being in Australia, you would have a review right if this was refused. If I were you I would engage a competent Australian based migration agent as this may be a three year strategy and evidence you submit with your 175 will impact on any later claims that she is dependent - one for Mr Lombard maybe ?

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Old Feb 16th 2009, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Tony I appreciate your honest and accurate information, these forums are great but you do get some in-accurate and misleading comments.

I will be having a chat with Mr Lombard ref this later on, just at the moment trying to fact find as much as to not waste valuable time.

There is always the option of her comming with us on a visitor`s visa then applying for onshore aged parent visa as well. ?

Thanks again for the good info.

Kind Regards

Paul

p.s. Swansea is not very sunny today...
Old Feb 17th 2009, 11:49 pm
JAJ
Retired

There is always the option of her comming with us on a visitor`s visa then applying for onshore aged parent visa as well. ?
Not a recommended strategy, for a variety of reasons. Including the fact you can be refused entry on arrival, healthcare issues, and what would be the plan if permanent residence was refused?
Old Feb 18th 2009, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Good point, thanks JAJ
Old Feb 20th 2009, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Just out of curiosity is the aged parent visa a standard way in, no massive fee, but a long processing time ... i.e. 10 years ? I read somewhere there is a visa that was good for an aged parent but the only downside was it tooks years ? Can anyone confirm if this is a viable option for her... reason being she is no real rush to get there... Hope she does not read this

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.