Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Questions asked at Port of Entry - I-94

Questions asked at Port of Entry - I-94

Old Feb 7th 2009, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

msi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nice
Default Questions asked at Port of Entry - I-94

I have a 10 year multiple entry B1/B2 visa and shall be travelling to US shortly.

I want to know

1. What are some of the typical questions asked at the port of entry?
2. Which documents are demanded by the immigration officer?
3. Period of Stay granted on I-94 (10 year multiple entry visa)?

Any replies will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 3:59 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Questions asked at Port of Entry - I-94

Originally Posted by msi geek
I have a 10 year multiple entry B1/B2 visa and shall be travelling to US shortly.

I want to know

1. What are some of the typical questions asked at the port of entry?
2. Which documents are demanded by the immigration officer?
3. Period of Stay granted on I-94 (10 year multiple entry visa)?

Any replies will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.
1. Whatever they want.
2. Whatever they ask for
3. 6 months is normally granted.

Good luck.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

msi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nice

Thanks for the reply.

Would highly appreciate if others share their experiences on the first two questions...
Old Feb 7th 2009, 8:51 am
Carmel Indiana

paul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond repute

Video of a typical POE Interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b4bGAoVR7g
Old Feb 7th 2009, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

thoughts on the contents of I-94 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us25cDaCQL0
Old Feb 7th 2009, 11:10 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply.

Would highly appreciate if others share their experiences on the first two questions...
Hi:

You give absolutely no background to your question. From my experience, and keeping my eyes and ears open when I make my trips through US entry procedures, I've given a fairly accurate answer.

If everything goes smoothing smoothly it can be as simple as no question whatsoever -- you hand over passport, I-94w and ticket, they look at you, scan passport and get welcome to America. Or they may simply ask, where are you traveling to and then scan and welcome to America. Or something may tickle them and you get sent to secondary for grilling.

Once in taking the ferry from Victoria to Swartz Bay when traveling with our small children [18 years ago] my wife handed over my and her US passports and the kids birth certificates, was asked anything else and she hand over our driver's licenses, anything else for the children, hands over their passports, our then 10 year old's passport was three years old so the picture was different so SHE was asked questions.

[That trip was immigration one from hell. My wife had handled the return to the US because I had handled the entry into Canada. I had told the truth when questioned about firearms. Did we have any firearms with us? No. Did you leave your firearms at home? No. What firearms do you own? None. We got to secondary and they emptied the car and went through all our baggage and went under the car to inspect with flashlights. Go figure.]

Also, I remember my younger daughter getting a grilling three of us traveled to UK when she was 21. I finally figured out what was happening when they asked her Uncle was living in the UK and I intervened with four words and smile "He is naturalized British." "Welcome to Britain, have a nice trip."

Moral -- they vary all the time. It might help if you let us know why you are worried. What kind of trip are you making? You don't say.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for your replies.

I have to travelled to US only once before - some ten years ago - I was around 18 then - the immigration officer was curious about any marriage plans (possibly with an American girl).

Hence, curious to know what other questions are typically asked and what other documents may be demanded?
Old Feb 8th 2009, 1:14 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

It is easier to ask the intent of the questions, and let you decide how that applies to you.

Basically, they want to see that you have a valid reason for entry, that you have not been a bad person in the past with respect to entry to the US, that you are not going to conduct any illegal activities while you're here, and that (if you have a non-immigrant visa or VWP) you'll be leaving when your time is up.

And in this, you may consider yourself guilty until proven innocent, although 90% of the time they aren't too worried about anything.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
It is easier to ask the intent of the questions, and let you decide how that applies to you.

Basically, they want to see that you have a valid reason for entry, that you have not been a bad person in the past with respect to entry to the US, that you are not going to conduct any illegal activities while you're here, and that (if you have a non-immigrant visa or VWP) you'll be leaving when your time is up.

And in this, you may consider yourself guilty until proven innocent, although 90% of the time they aren't too worried about anything.
Is it, these days, more of a formal interview (like visa applications) or a casual conversation?
Old Feb 8th 2009, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

You give absolutely no background to your question. From my experience, and keeping my eyes and ears open when I make my trips through US entry procedures, I've given a fairly accurate answer.

If everything goes smoothing smoothly it can be as simple as no question whatsoever -- you hand over passport, I-94w and ticket, they look at you, scan passport and get welcome to America. Or they may simply ask, where are you traveling to and then scan and welcome to America. Or something may tickle them and you get sent to secondary for grilling.

Once in taking the ferry from Victoria to Swartz Bay when traveling with our small children [18 years ago] my wife handed over my and her US passports and the kids birth certificates, was asked anything else and she hand over our driver's licenses, anything else for the children, hands over their passports, our then 10 year old's passport was three years old so the picture was different so SHE was asked questions.

[That trip was immigration one from hell. My wife had handled the return to the US because I had handled the entry into Canada. I had told the truth when questioned about firearms. Did we have any firearms with us? No. Did you leave your firearms at home? No. What firearms do you own? None. We got to secondary and they emptied the car and went through all our baggage and went under the car to inspect with flashlights. Go figure.]

Also, I remember my younger daughter getting a grilling three of us traveled to UK when she was 21. I finally figured out what was happening when they asked her Uncle was living in the UK and I intervened with four words and smile "He is naturalized British." "Welcome to Britain, have a nice trip."

Moral -- they vary all the time. It might help if you let us know why you are worried. What kind of trip are you making? You don't say.

Under the car with flashlights
Old Feb 8th 2009, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Hence, curious to know what other questions are typically asked and what other documents may be demanded?
Sometimes they ask trick questions ...

I remember that, when I entered the US on a B visa for the first time back in January 1985, one of the questions I was asked was "Gonna watch the superbowl this weekend?"

The correct response to this question was, of course, to stare blankly and say nothing, thus reassuring the officer that he was dealing with a genuine visitor who had never been to the US before and had absolutely no intention of staying for more than a few days.