TELEVISIONS

Old Jan 26th 2009, 7:52 am
Tartan Treasure

p9atp is just really nicep9atp is just really nicep9atp is just really nicep9atp is just really nicep9atp is just really nicep9atp is just really nicep9atp is just really nicep9atp is just really nice
Question TELEVISIONS

Hi can anyone advise if it is worthwhile bringing our own TV's from the UK?
Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:11 am
Banned

Scouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really nice
Default Re: TELEVISIONS

Have a look at the "Sky+" thread - it will definitely work if it has AV ports using either Sky, DVD etc or Freeview. May or may not work on UHF.

One point - SCART isn't so widely used here, although it's not unknown - you may need to buy some connectors that's all.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:15 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

We have a UK TV upstairs for the kid's playstation and DVD's/Videos. No reception for TV.

We bought a NZ one off TradeMe, brand new $40 for downstairs, works fine with 4 channels, no Sky ...
Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
We have a UK TV upstairs for the kid's playstation and DVD's/Videos. No reception for TV.

We bought a NZ one off TradeMe, brand new $40 for downstairs, works fine with 4 channels, no Sky ...

My understanding is that unless the TV is newish it will have a picture but no sound..the sounds on a different frequency over here..mine was an older one and could not be changed. Apparently some of the newer ones have switches that can be set for NZs sound frequency..best thing is to check with the manufacturer.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

4kiwi4 is just really nice4kiwi4 is just really nice4kiwi4 is just really nice4kiwi4 is just really nice4kiwi4 is just really nice4kiwi4 is just really nice4kiwi4 is just really nice4kiwi4 is just really nice

Hi, we brought a pretty old Sony TV from UK, and a newer portable and they both work fine through a freeview box, which we bought off Trademe prettycheap.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 6:56 pm
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

Your TV will certainly work connected to the "Video out" and "Sound out" from a DVD player or from a SKY or FREEVIEW box.

It may or may not work for analog broadcast TV for two reasons.-

1 Broadcast TV in the UK is UHF, broadcast TV in NZ is spread across VHF and UHF.

2 Whilst both countries use PAL there is some issue with the sound separation

I'm told that most modern TVs can cope with this, but older ones may not

My advice would be to bring the TV and get a FREEVIEW box (Either Satellite or Terrestrial) when you get here. Trademe has loads of them for 70 bucks or so)

Hope this helps
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

drrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nice

Originally Posted by p9atp
Hi can anyone advise if it is worthwhile bringing our own TV's from the UK?
And remember that your UK Freeview boxes won't work here in NZ (the digital Freeview system in NZ is a more modern, high-definition version than that in the UK).

A terrestrial Freeview box costs NZD 299.00 here from Dick Smiths.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:10 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drrobert
And remember that your UK Freeview boxes won't work here in NZ (the digital Freeview system in NZ is a more modern, high-definition version than that in the UK).

A terrestrial Freeview box costs NZD 299.00 here from Dick Smiths.
also lots of places (rentals at least) have old sky dishes and you can get a freeview satellite receiver off trademe for $100 or less. Not as good a range of cahnnels or as good picyure quality as the DSE one but it will work, unlike the DSE terrestrial freeview if you don't have a UHF aerial - again many rentals only have the old-style VHF aerials and so are not terrestrial freeview compatable. Satellite freeview is vastly superior to the old 4/5 channels on ordinary VHF TV via the aerial and well worth the cost of the decoder/aerial/sat dish.
HTH, LL
PS lots of threads with the information about your set, search for PAL-I or PAL-B/G and you should find them
Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

bjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nice

Originally Posted by lardyl
also lots of places (rentals at least) have old sky dishes and you can get a freeview satellite receiver off trademe for $100 or less. Not as good a range of cahnnels or as good picyure quality as the DSE one but it will work, unlike the DSE terrestrial freeview if you don't have a UHF aerial - again many rentals only have the old-style VHF aerials and so are not terrestrial freeview compatable. Satellite freeview is vastly superior to the old 4/5 channels on ordinary VHF TV via the aerial and well worth the cost of the decoder/aerial/sat dish.
HTH, LL
PS lots of threads with the information about your set, search for PAL-I or PAL-B/G and you should find them
You need to be careful about the Freeview as it uses a different polarisation to Sky due to a cockup in the satellite manufacture. Therefore not all SKY dishes can get freeview, particularly if they are shared dishes. I found out the hard way.

Nonetheless, the Freeview choice in NZ is far superior to that available here in Australia. I also understand that terrestrial freeview in NZ has more channels than the satellite version.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:10 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bjddavies
You need to be careful about the Freeview as it uses a different polarisation to Sky due to a cockup in the satellite manufacture. Therefore not all SKY dishes can get freeview, particularly if they are shared dishes. I found out the hard way.

Nonetheless, the Freeview choice in NZ is far superior to that available here in Australia. I also understand that terrestrial freeview in NZ has more channels than the satellite version.
thanks for that
what I found out was that I had to change setup of the decoder from the shop settings and that worked - but not before I had bought a signal finder