Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Great Ocean Road Trip - any advice?

Great Ocean Road Trip - any advice?

Old Nov 24th 2008, 11:57 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Great Ocean Road Trip - any advice?

We're flying down to Melbourne Friday night to do spend a couple days touring the great ocean road, we of course want to see the 12 apostles (or what's left of them).

We'll need to stay somewhere Friday night, we get in Melbourne about 10pm so it might as well be somwhere close to the airport and reasonable priced. We'll head out in the morning on our trip. We've got all day Saturday and Sunday to tour the road, but we'll need to be back in Melbourne later Monday afternoon as we fly out then.

Here's my questions:
1. Any decent hotels around the Melbourne airport that aren't super expensive?
2. Is there a nice halfway point that we can stay for the night? Any hotel/motel suggestions?
3. Is there anything else we should check out along the great ocean road if we get the time?
4. Are there any other sights around Melbourne area that we can check out if we get back early enough?
5. How much time do you think we'll spend driving?

Sorry for all the questions, I've looked up other threads on here but it was a while ago and can't remember everything I've read now! I'll have a look tomorrow to see what I can dig up.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of
Default Re: Great Ocean Road Trip - any advice?

Just to get you in the mood..........

http://www.visitvictoria.com/display...280C476A90000/

Watch your speed.......... the limit has been dropped to 80K's and is VERY well policed. Also be wary of the coaches having to swing over the white line on some of the 90deg bends
Old Nov 24th 2008, 12:11 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rossi
Just to get you in the mood..........

http://www.visitvictoria.com/display...280C476A90000/

Watch your speed.......... the limit has been dropped to 80K's and is VERY well policed. Also be wary of the coaches having to swing over the white line on some of the 90deg bends
Thanks for the tip! I'll be sure to remind my husband, who I'm sure will be having lots of fun driving without the kids in the back .
Old Nov 24th 2008, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Hi we did this trip a few years ago, you'll love it!

We stayed at the places below and both were good at the time.

YHA ECO Beach Apollo Bay
5 Pascoe St
P:+61 3 5237 7899
Very modern with helpful staff.

Great Ocean Road Back Packers (YHA) Lorne
Ph : (03) 5289 1809

Cool, tropical looking place where you can hand feel the local wildlife!

Have fun
Old Nov 24th 2008, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

LayaboutSi has a brilliant futureLayaboutSi has a brilliant futureLayaboutSi has a brilliant futureLayaboutSi has a brilliant futureLayaboutSi has a brilliant futureLayaboutSi has a brilliant future

Our trip was about 5 years ago and a place that left a lasting memory was Bimbi Park.

http://www.bimbipark.com.au/

There is a nature walk from the park too and its definitely work it - watch out for low flying wallabies though!
Old Nov 24th 2008, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud of

Theres a great nature reserve just after apollo bay, where we stayed over in march when we did this trip, it is just stunning from start to finish, we did it from Adelaide to apollo bay in the first day ( took turns, 200k on, 200k passenger, it was OK too!)then took our time to get to melbourne, hung out at the beach etc, but what a journey, the dead roos roadkill are a bit grim for us poms, but the highlight must be seeing koala's asleep in the most improbably thin branches, a real treat.And the lobsters, wow!!! Wont post any pics, dont want to spoil your adventure, unless u ask, but my advice is set off really early, take your time and soak up the sights, this is one road trip i'll never forget, just beautiful beyond your dreams, and for the most part in my experience, almost deserted.The rigs coming the other way make you wince at first, they are so big it goes dark as the pass!Real scary stuff.So jealous, and ive done it already! Enjoy and dont forget to feedback your story.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 8:40 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
We're flying down to Melbourne Friday night to do spend a couple days touring the great ocean road, we of course want to see the 12 apostles (or what's left of them).

We'll need to stay somewhere Friday night, we get in Melbourne about 10pm so it might as well be somwhere close to the airport and reasonable priced. We'll head out in the morning on our trip. We've got all day Saturday and Sunday to tour the road, but we'll need to be back in Melbourne later Monday afternoon as we fly out then.

Here's my questions:
1. Any decent hotels around the Melbourne airport that aren't super expensive?
2. Is there a nice halfway point that we can stay for the night? Any hotel/motel suggestions?
3. Is there anything else we should check out along the great ocean road if we get the time?
4. Are there any other sights around Melbourne area that we can check out if we get back early enough?
5. How much time do you think we'll spend driving?

Sorry for all the questions, I've looked up other threads on here but it was a while ago and can't remember everything I've read now! I'll have a look tomorrow to see what I can dig up.
Herrchoock's down that way and might know of some places. Give her a pm.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Nov 24th 2008, 8:58 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Other places to see.

Erskine Falls if you like waterfalls.
http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/1proce....cfm?place=139

You might want to try the Otway fly on the way back http://www.otwayfly.com/ A big section of the Ocean Rd goes through the Otways.

I've not been here but some friends went after dark and said it was good http://www.visitmelbourne.com/displa...180C476A90220/

We found it hard to find a place in Port Campbell (near the 12 Apostles) because of the Bass Straight Gas Project. That was a couple of years ago so I'm not sure it's still a problem.

If you are going all the way to Warnambool then you may want to go onto Port Fairy to have a look.

Apollo Bay is a big town which could be a good place to stay. The only thing is that it's not that far into the journey.

We had a nice lunch at a restaurant by Lorne pier.

I never stayed there but when I was looking for hotels near MEL airport the Holiday Inn was reasonably priced.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Nov 24th 2008 at 9:00 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

I've done this a few times and normally would spend the Saturday doing the Great Ocean Road, leaving Melbourne early and then stopping for brunch/lunch in Lorne, stopping at Cape Otway to see the lighthouse and then onto the Apostles.

I then normally stay the night in Port Fairy (lovely place) and then drive back via the Grampians or Warnambool (quite a good shipping museum there)

http://www.colinrobertson.com.au/hol...p?page=results

In particular :

http://www.colinrobertson.com.au/hol...page=gdm&id=86

Last edited by sr71; Nov 24th 2008 at 9:58 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 10:11 pm
Canuck/Aussie

Great tips everyone.... keep them up!

I'll be checking everything out over the next few days and knowing me I'll have all kinds of print outs of things to do along the way. I know I could just look on the net for all this stuff but I figured BE probably had lots of people who'd done the trip and might have pointers so I might as well use it!
Old Nov 24th 2008, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

The Great Ocean Road is the attraction in itself really, I would say most tourists do the drive in a day and don't stop at all overnight. IIRC there really are very limited facilities between Port Apollo and Warnambool of you were interested in a good restaurant for example.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

Sunbed has a brilliant futureSunbed has a brilliant futureSunbed has a brilliant futureSunbed has a brilliant futureSunbed has a brilliant futureSunbed has a brilliant futureSunbed has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sr71
The Great Ocean Road is the attraction in itself really, I would say most tourists do the drive in a day and don't stop at all overnight. IIRC there really are very limited facilities between Port Apollo and Warnambool of you were interested in a good restaurant for example.
We've stayed here a couple of times when we've done the great ocean road:

http://www.erskinefalls.com.au/

It's just outside Lorne and the variety of birdlife you get on your balcony is worth the stop there alone.

You also must do the helicopter ride from the 12 apostles:

http://www.theedgehelicopters.com.au/

If you think the scenery is good from the road, wait till you see it from the sky!!
Old Nov 25th 2008, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

geelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud of

Anglesey Golf course is a must if you want to see roos. There are holiday parks called Big 4 which have pitches for tents, caravans and chalets. Haven't used them yet, but not too pricey. Queenscliffe just after Geelong and before the Great Ocean Road is a lovely little town, it also has a ferry over to Sorrento on the Mornington Peninsula. We've seen a family of dolphins following us across, lovely.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 6:32 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a few ideas

Tower Hill and Port Fairy - Pt Fairy is a beautiful little town.

Lunch in Torquay - soak up the surf culture and do a spot of retail therapy in the surf retail outlets

Apollo Blue appts in Apollo Bay http://www.stayz.com.au/25346

The drive off the GOR to the Cape Otwat lighthouse - an absolute must for koala spotting

scenic flight (either Tiger Moth from Geelong or helicopter over 12 Apostles)
Old Nov 25th 2008, 7:41 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Loch Ard Gorge was worth a stop. Port Campbell has a mini-museum about the wreck of the Loch Ard. I seem to remember it was in the back of the chemist (or something).

Here's a big tip. Bring fly nets. This time of year along that coastline, it'll be crawling. Something to do with the plants along there apparently.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Nov 25th 2008 at 7:43 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.