Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Thinking of not using an agent to save money

Thinking of not using an agent to save money

Old Nov 11th 2008, 9:52 am
Just Joined

Suet has a brilliant futureSuet has a brilliant futureSuet has a brilliant futureSuet has a brilliant futureSuet has a brilliant futureSuet has a brilliant futureSuet has a brilliant future
Default Thinking of not using an agent to save money

any tips that helped you and you think would be helpful for other's would be gratefully received.

we're applying under 175 skilled independent visa and OH is having to produce an RPL as does not hold a diploma in IT which is he's field of occupation.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 2:41 pm
Mauritian Member

jen_mj12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Thinking of not using an agent to save money

Download the booklet 6 from the Departement of Immigration Website - This should be your bible
Old Dec 1st 2008, 10:09 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Going it alone is fine - until something goes awry with the processing of your application. Sadly, we are seeing more visa applications in recent months (particularly skilled applications) that have to be followed up because they appear to be falling down the cracks ...

This is when having an agent on board who can initiate the necessary follow up at an appropriate level within the relevant processing centre will save a lot of angst and worry.

I appreciate that all may go swimmingly well - but if not having an agent acting for you can be a life saver.

Best regards.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 3:27 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't use an agent for my ENS visa.

If I had used an agent it would have doubled the cost of my visa! I simply could not afford to do this.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

RobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the rough

Even with an agent you will still be doing most of the work yourself, if your application is straight forward then you can save a lot of money by doing it yourself. However, if there are complications or difficulties proving your skills then an agent could save you a lot of stress and worry.

You could just get an agent to help with the RPL submission and do the visa yourself, it really comes doen to your confidence in completing forms and searching forums like this to work out what you need to gather to include in your application.

We did it ourselves, sailed through ACS (group B) and no problems so far with the online visa application (no CO yet either though )
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 11:19 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

The Adelaide Skilled Processing Centre handles thousands of applications.

We are finding that an increasing number of these applications seem to disappear - applicants lodge documentation and nothing happens to progress the application. Documents that are lodged electronically do not seem to find their way onto the e-lodged visa application record.

What does the unrepresented applicant do then? Who do you complain to? There is a webpage where you can follow up a skilled visa application, but what do you do when you don't get a reply from that either?

We have a process internally that flags all applications that we consider to be complete. We then escalate these applications by communicating with the ASPC at an appropriate level. The result is generally visa grant within 7 days.

Best regards.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 11:20 pm
Migration Agent

PS. RobertC: looking at your timeline, yours is one I would definitely be following up, as we have June 2008 applications that have been granted ...
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 10:47 am
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
PS. RobertC: looking at your timeline, yours is one I would definitely be following up, as we have June 2008 applications that have been granted ...
I don't mean to rain on your parade here but this smacks just a bit too much of scaremongering, which I persoanlly find reprehensible. I wouldn't have a problem with this ordinarily if it not for the fact that migration agencies typically charge fantastic amounts of money for the service offered - particularly since the applicant has to do all the work anyway.

Do you have any facts and figures to back up your claim that applications "do not seem to find their way onto the e-lodged visa application record" or that they simply "disappear"?

As you very well know, applications are not processed in a strictly chronological manner. For some applicants it can take many more or fewer months than others - just by the very nature of the way that the ASPC handles their workload. This doesn't automatically mean that applications are simply "disappearing".

I'm sure you can understand that, being a migration agent yourself and thus with an automatic, vested, commercial interest, it would be foolish for people to take your comments here on this thread on face value, at least not without you backing up your comments with hard and fast facts and not annecdotal comments? You seem to be presenting a perspective of the ASPC that is grossly neglegent and taking people's money and running. I don't know if that's your intention but surely you can't possibly believe this to be the case? Just wondering what the ASPC would have to say about this?

To the OP: Despite my comments here, I wouldn't necessarily dismiss the option of hiring a migration agent. Some people will be happy to pay for the peace of mind in knowing that they are wading through a potential mine-field with someone knowledgeable about where the mines might be on their side. That said, myself and countless others have gone it alone (including the RPL process) and have saved lots of money. I wouldn't presume to know which route would be best for you. It'll be down to what makes you more comfortable.

- CDM
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 11:06 am
Migration Agent

Originally Posted by CDM
I don't mean to rain on your parade here but this smacks just a bit too much of scaremongering, which I persoanlly find reprehensible. I wouldn't have a problem with this ordinarily if it not for the fact that migration agencies typically charge fantastic amounts of money for the service offered - particularly since the applicant has to do all the work anyway.

Do you have any facts and figures to back up your claim that applications "do not seem to find their way onto the e-lodged visa application record" or that they simply "disappear"?

As you very well know, applications are not processed in a strictly chronological manner. For some applicants it can take many more or fewer months than others - just by the very nature of the way that the ASPC handles their workload. This doesn't automatically mean that applications are simply "disappearing".

I'm sure you can understand that, being a migration agent yourself and thus with an automatic, vested, commercial interest, it would be foolish for people to take your comments here on this thread on face value, at least not without you backing up your comments with hard and fast facts and not annecdotal comments? You seem to be presenting a perspective of the ASPC that is grossly neglegent and taking people's money and running. I don't know if that's your intention but surely you can't possibly believe this to be the case? Just wondering what the ASPC would have to say about this?

<snip>

- CDM
Yes, I thought my comments would ruffle a few feathers.

And yes, I do have plenty of examples of applications where visa processing has gone awry - you aren't suggesting I am making it all up to generate business ... are you ...?

Rather, I am simply endeavouring to balance the argument of those who suggest that engaging a migration agent is a waste of money.

Unfortunately visa applications are being lost - competent migration agents pick up these applications and escalate the matter to a suitable level within the applicable processing office. And unrepresented applicants will not have the same avenues open to them.

Best regards.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 11:21 am
Just Joined

AussieGaz is an unknown quantity at this point

I had this thought

Maybe DIAC have supplied an online application system to encourage people to apply for it themselves.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 11:23 am
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Yes, I thought my comments would ruffle a few feathers.

And yes, I do have plenty of examples of applications where visa processing has gone awry - you aren't suggesting I am making it all up to generate business ... are you ...?

Rather, I am simply endeavouring to balance the argument of those who suggest that engaging a migration agent is a waste of money.

Unfortunately visa applications are being lost - competent migration agents pick up these applications and escalate the matter to a suitable level within the applicable processing office. And unrepresented applicants will not have the same avenues open to them.

Best regards.
Using scaremongering as a means to drum up business? Where on earth would that commecial tactic have possibly come from?!

I'm glad you clarified your point of view. For a minute there, it didn't look anything at all like your were trying to provided a 'balanced' argument. Thanks for the clarification!

Do you have any evidence outside of the annecdotal 'if you don't hire an agent, things can and do go horribly wrong' to support the arguments you've put forward? Or anything at all to refute what I've said above?

As far as I can tell, nobody has suggested that hiring a migration agent is a waste of time. Expensive, yes, but not specifically a waste of time. Neither here on this thread or any other that I can find so I'm a bit confused as to where you got that from.

- CDM
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

varsanik will become famous soon enoughvarsanik will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Suet
any tips that helped you and you think would be helpful for other's would be gratefully received.

we're applying under 175 skilled independent visa and OH is having to produce an RPL as does not hold a diploma in IT which is he's field of occupation.
Good luck with going it alone, but in my opinion, a small fee (%) in relation to the overall cost of the move is well worth it.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 12:07 pm
Holy c%*p, I'm in!!!

lilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nicelilsweets is just really nice

Hey all,

Just to let you all know that the OP has reported in another thread that they have decided not to go. Not trying to take away from your points of view, just thought you might like to know,

Lil
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 12:19 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by varsanik
Good luck with going it alone, but in my opinion, a small fee (%) in relation to the overall cost of the move is well worth it.
That's a very good point but I suppose it would all depend on what you mean by small percentage and the overall cost. If you include your visa costs, flights, removal costs, setup costs, job search costs, etc., then I suppose that the immigration agent costs would be a small percentage in the grand scheme of things. No argument there.

I tend to look at it in terms of the cost of geting the visa specifically, however, since the immigration agent costs are not otherwise related in any other way to the move in general. In these terms, the costs can be quite significant and could amount to 100% or more of the cost of the visa itself.

If you're comfortable with perhaps doubling the cost of obtaining the visa by hiring an immigration agent, then that's perfectly fine. When we're talking about several thousands of pounds, then it may no longer be an insignificant cost to deal with for a lot of people.

- CDM
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

Paula_lou is just really nicePaula_lou is just really nicePaula_lou is just really nicePaula_lou is just really nicePaula_lou is just really nicePaula_lou is just really nicePaula_lou is just really nicePaula_lou is just really nice

Going it alone is fine - until something goes awry with the processing of your application. Sadly, we are seeing more visa applications in recent months (particularly skilled applications) that have to be followed up because they appear to be falling down the cracks ...

This is when having an agent on board who can initiate the necessary follow up at an appropriate level within the relevant processing centre will save a lot of angst and worry.

I appreciate that all may go swimmingly well - but if not having an agent acting for you can be a life saver.

Best regards.

Not that Im sucking up to you or anything lol but I couldnt have done it without my agent at the Visa Bureau! Yes it has cost us an extra £2000, yes it would have made things a lot easier if we hadnt had to pay that but bugger that for a game of soldiers...Id rather hand the stress of making sure its all done right over to someone else

Tbh the thought of not using an agent never even crossed my mind! lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.