Electricity Bills

Old Nov 10th 2008, 6:51 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electricity Bills

Just got my latest bill.. $631.62 and last quarters was $770.35. No gas in the house so that's running everything.

Now that seems a bloody lot to me, its about double what I paid for gas and elec in the UK, which admittedly has shot up in price since I left three years ago. Am I just an excessive consumer or do other people face similar bills?

Oh, and before those still in the UK think that's all gone on running aircon to keep cool in the Oz heat, most of it went on HEATING.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 7:03 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electricity Bills

Yes, it was an extremely cool winter here in the hunter valley nsw too.
What I find a bit silly is home insulation doesnt appear to enter an ozzies mind.
I would suggest you sort that part out but in the interim, how big is your house in sq m ? Your bill is quite high I would say.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 7:22 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
Yes, it was an extremely cool winter here in the hunter valley nsw too.
What I find a bit silly is home insulation doesnt appear to enter an ozzies mind.
I would suggest you sort that part out but in the interim, how big is your house in sq m ? Your bill is quite high I would say.
I'm in the Illawarra, so not a million miles from you. Its a biggish house. Main problem is the open plan nature of the house and the double height entrance hall.... and, as you said, zero in terms of insulation.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 7:25 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Ours have been a bit of a shocker too - very similar amounts to yours, and only for a very small 2 bed, 1 storey cottage.

Mostly heating, too - having moved from Asia I really struggled with the cold. Doesn't help that one wall is totally glass.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

emigratingherberts will become famous soon enoughemigratingherberts will become famous soon enough

Our last electricity bill was $1200 and the latest one $1300 for a quarter. That was for a 4 bed house. Only thing the gas was used for was to heat the water and that was $120. I think its because the houses are so shit you lose all the heat out of them and I can't stand being cold!
Old Nov 10th 2008, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

How much!!

I am never gonna complain about my $450 summer electric bills again!
Old Nov 10th 2008, 7:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Some of yous might want to consider relocating to Brisbane for the warmer winters
Old Nov 10th 2008, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that is a lot

Our biggest one was about $400..... that was for the winter period and we'd had oil fired radiators on, sometimes constantly during the day, for weeks.... plus pool pump 4 hours a day and everything else (only got gas for hot water at the mo)
Old Nov 10th 2008, 7:42 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by emigratingherberts
Our last electricity bill was $1200 and the latest one $1300 for a quarter. That was for a 4 bed house. Only thing the gas was used for was to heat the water and that was $120. I think its because the houses are so shit you lose all the heat out of them and I can't stand being cold!
Bloody Hell

I don't feel to bad now.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Our bills have never been over $270 and I thought that was a lot. Though that might only be for 2 months, rather than 3. I only keep the heating at 17oC in the day and 20oC in the evening and never have it on overnight. That's for a 4x3 (older style).
Old Nov 10th 2008, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

emigratingherberts will become famous soon enoughemigratingherberts will become famous soon enough

Yes it was a bit of a shock. We have moved house now cause it was still cold with the oil filled radiators on all the time. Our new house has heating through floor vents so hopefully will be cheaper next winter. If not, a move north sounds quite appealing.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 8:00 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by The Crow
Our bills have never been over $270 and I thought that was a lot. Though that might only be for 2 months, rather than 3. I only keep the heating at 17oC in the day and 20oC in the evening and never have it on overnight. That's for a 4x3 (older style).
My guess is that houses in Melbourne are probably a little better insulated then, because my house would be like a fridge on those settings. Mine has all the insulation properties of an aircraft hanger.

Ducted aircon just doesn't seem to have the same impact as central heating.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

Good old crappy Sydney houses eh May as well be in a caravan
Old Nov 10th 2008, 8:12 am
22B
BE Enthusiast

22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future

Ours was $2k for 15months; = $400pq.

We're in a 4-bed house, open plan downstairs with high ceilings.

Um - we're you wearing a woolly jumper and fleecy slippers through the winter?
Old Nov 10th 2008, 8:17 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Crow

You call that heating? In Singapore, if I had the aircon on at all and then it was only part of the night in the bedroom, I had it set at 26C

I would love to move to QLD, but we have to go where the work is. This said, so far I have followed the same path Rudi has, so Brisbane must be our next move.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.