Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

B1 visa for one year (self employed)?

B1 visa for one year (self employed)?

Old Sep 4th 2008, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

salted is an unknown quantity at this point
Question B1 visa for one year (self employed)?

Hello all,

I have a visa interview in London tomorrow. I'm requesting a B1 visa to visit the US for one year, for business purposes. I'm 24, and a British citizen. I do not own a home in the UK (have been renting), but do have financial, business, friends and family ties here in the UK. I have no black marks on my record (crimes etc.).

I run a three-person company based in the UK, that's been running for three years. The purpose of the trip is to meet with some of our many US clients, and run some sales seminars to obtain new clients. I have emails from clients, details of the sales trips I'll make, medical insurance quotes, business financial information... all of which I'll be taking to my interview.

I'd like to obtain the visa for a year so I can really experience the US, and have time to do some travelling whilst I'm there. Also our sales can take months to complete, so it's not realistic to do that on just a 90 day visa waiver.

My company, and my existing salary, will cover the costs of my stay, and I can show bank statements with a decent amount of savings (approx £4k in cash, £36k salary).

The sticking point for the interview - and the part I'm worried about - is my girlfriend. She's an American citizen, and has been studying in the UK. We intend to live together in New York for the duration of my visit, before both returning to London. I have no intention of overstaying my visa, or of getting married to her.

My questions are...

1. Do you think it is likely that I'll be granted a one year stay based on my circumstances?
2. Is it safe to mention the situation with my girlfriend?
3. Anything else I should be cautious of, or any further documentation I should ensure I take with me as proof?

Thanks very much in advance for any guidance on this. I'm really rather nervous about the whole thing!
Old Sep 4th 2008, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B1 visa for one year (self employed)?

Originally Posted by salted
1. Do you think it is likely that I'll be granted a one year stay based on my circumstances?
2. Is it safe to mention the situation with my girlfriend?
3. Anything else I should be cautious of, or any further documentation I should ensure I take with me as proof?
1. I don't think so
2. Don't tell them unless asked
3. The usual recommendation: don't volunteer any information, only answer the questions asked.

If I were you I'd travel on the VWP.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Marocco
1. I don't think so
2. Don't tell them unless asked
3. The usual recommendation: don't volunteer any information, only answer the questions asked.

Thank you for the quick reply Marocco.

If I don't get the whole year, will they offer me a visa for a shorter period, or just nothing at all?

I've visited on the VWP before, but I'd really like to stay there longer than 90 days as it'll make things a lot easier.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 3:00 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the quick reply Marocco.

If I don't get the whole year, will they offer me a visa for a shorter period, or just nothing at all?

I've visited on the VWP before, but I'd really like to stay there longer than 90 days as it'll make things a lot easier.
Even if they give you the visa valid for 1 year, or 10 years, it's up to the POE officer who admits you to decide how long you can actually stay in the USA on any given visit. The norm for people carrying B visas is about 6 months.

Rene
Old Sep 4th 2008, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Even if they give you the visa valid for 1 year, or 10 years, it's up to the POE officer who admits you to decide how long you can actually stay in the USA on any given visit. The norm for people carrying B visas is about 6 months.

Rene
Thanks Rene. That's actually quite good to hear. My intention is to leave for the US in October, but return for Christmas with my family in the UK in December, then heading back to the US. Therefore the first part of the trip will only be 3 months anyway.

I would like to keep renting a flat in NY for the full 12 months, though, and return to it after Christmas.

I'll likely make one or two more trips back to the UK after that as well. Meaning that no single visit to the US will be for more than about 4-5 months.

In total I intend to spend about 10 months out of 12 in the US doing business there, before returning permanently to the UK.

Do you think this will work out ok? I've read about multiple consecutive entries on the VWP being troublesome - is it easier with a B1?
Old Sep 4th 2008, 3:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably all comes down to how convincing the Business need is, a big ask.

Plus of ocourse if you have been there for say 5 months, leave for a month and then seek another 5 month entry, well another big big ask.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 4:17 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I would be amazed if you got it ....
but I have been amazed before ..
Old Sep 4th 2008, 4:29 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I was gonna say...

I am surprised at the positive response to the OP so far.
I don't think I could go to the UK and call on customers & make sales and 'live' with my boyfriend for a year. That sounds a lot like my regular work.
Except the boyfriend. I should get one of those.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 4:33 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I was gonna say...

I am surprised at the positive response to the OP so far.
I don't think I could go to the UK and call on customers & make sales and 'live' with my boyfriend for a year. That sounds a lot like my regular work.
I would put the odd at about 5% for....
especially at the London Consulate
Old Sep 4th 2008, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marocco
I have a hard time believing that any activity involving spending a year in the US "on business" could be construed as something that is permitted under the VWP. You can't work.

"But I'm not working, I'm there on business, for a long succession of business meetings and such."

For a year? Pull the other one!
Old Sep 4th 2008, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
Oh dear, I'm now even more worried than when I started

To clarify - you don't think I will be granted the B1 visa at all? Or that I won't be granted entry for more than 6 months at the POE?

Is it really that unlikely I'll be granted the B1? It really is a legitimate trip! Is it that they are very wary of people staying for longer than 90 days?
Old Sep 4th 2008, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Unlikely full stop.

You have to remember that they don't need you. Applying for a visa is not like buying a bus ticket. There has to be a reason for them to accept your application and grant the visa. They are of the view that america will do quite well without you getting in.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 4:42 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

To clarify - you don't think I will be granted the B1 visa at all? Or that I won't be granted entry for more than 6 months at the POE?

Is it really that unlikely I'll be granted the B1? It really is a legitimate trip! Is it that they are very wary of people staying for longer than 90 days?
Both! All of the above!

You don't need a one year admission; you said right off you're leaving after 3 months in. Admission stamps are only 'good' as long as you are in the US. Leave and you start over. Including convincing the border dude that you need to be let in, to LIVE with your USC GIRLFRIEND and get back to your WORK in the US....

Yeah, it doesn't sound likely to me the way you've put it at all.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 4:44 pm
Ray

I dont think you will get a B at all ..
Even suggesting you want to go on business for a year ..they won't understand..but neither do I.....

I think you just wanna shack up for a while ...
But my opinions mean nothing..

But as I said.. I have been amazed before ...
Old Sep 4th 2008, 4:57 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
You do need a new one, since you dumped Jack Bauer!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.