How much does a greencard cost?

Old Aug 8th 2008, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light
Default How much does a greencard cost?

Hey y'all,

So - HR told me today that they are changing my contract from a 'Assignment' to 'transferee'. It does make sense as the greencard application is in progress - but it means that I will loose my car and house benefits (I guess - to cover the greencard application and associated fees).

So - my question for anyone out there is, how much (ballpark figure) do you think it costs go to from L1B to EB3-Greencard?

I will be having another meeting next week and it would be useful to use as ammo...

Thanks guys!
Old Aug 8th 2008, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much does a greencard cost?

Originally Posted by dh010447
Hey y'all,

So - HR told me today that they are changing my contract from a 'Assignment' to 'transferee'. It does make sense as the greencard application is in progress - but it means that I will loose my car and house benefits (I guess - to cover the greencard application and associated fees).

So - my question for anyone out there is, how much (ballpark figure) do you think it costs go to from L1B to EB3-Greencard?

I will be having another meeting next week and it would be useful to use as ammo...

Thanks guys!
$3,500
Old Aug 8th 2008, 7:48 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
$3,500
Or more ... maybe less ...
Old Aug 8th 2008, 7:59 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
$3,500
I sold my soul for mine... is that more or less than $3,500??
Old Aug 8th 2008, 8:13 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Hey y'all,

Thanks guys!
what about your vacation allowance...
Old Aug 8th 2008, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Engagement ring $2000

Wedding $5500

Filing fees $2500

Keeping wife in lifestyle she's become accustomed to for the required 2-years post marriage
$167,987 and my right to have an opinion

Having a greencard... priceless

Old Aug 8th 2008, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Elvira
what about your vacation allowance...
Vacation allowance.... I get the US standard for that anyway...
Old Aug 9th 2008, 2:02 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey y'all,

Thanks guys!
They sound like a typical bunch of HR wankers.

Don't let them take your car and house benefits until you have that Green Card in your sweaty little hands!
Old Aug 9th 2008, 2:37 pm
Boston Sep 15th

starky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hobbes79
$167,987
She must have a hell of a lot of shoes for that.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

oh well - greencard application is cancelled

Apparently, its company policy for the greencard applicant to be moved from any kind of 'assignment' status for the greencard process to be initiated.

But, all is not lost... I imagine that I'll be promoted before my time is up and will convert to an L1-A and then take the much faster EB1 track.

Alternatively, once my wife is back at work from her maternity leave, we could see if her employer is up for taking her through the greencard process... So if anyone else has any ideas for total costs for the EB3 path..................

God help me, I am not going back to the cold, dark, rainy UK!!!
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Socal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond repute

But, all is not lost... I imagine that I'll be promoted before my time is up and will convert to an L1-A and then take the much faster EB1 track.
Just a word of warning on this - although a management position in the US would potentially allow you to transfer to an L1-A visa for an EB1C green card the requirement is that you were also in a management position in the overseas organisation. I think the requirement also is that this position was held for at least one year in the previous three. I've heard of a few people being denied due to assuming that one they got the L1-A visa they automatically could qualify for EB1C.

As far as costs are concerned, it is really difficult to give accurate figures because there are so many variables - maybe a very rough ball park figure of $10K for filing fees + attorney fees.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Socal Local
Just a word of warning on this - although a management position in the US would potentially allow you to transfer to an L1-A visa for an EB1C green card the requirement is that you were also in a management position in the overseas organisation. I think the requirement also is that this position was held for at least one year in the previous three. I've heard of a few people being denied due to assuming that one they got the L1-A visa they automatically could qualify for EB1C.
Arse, I think your right about the '1 year in the last 3 years'... and 1 of those years has already passed - so I have 1 further year where this opportunity is still open to me. Although, I do meet most of the requirements (at a stretch) for L1-A (thinking 'Functional manager') so when it comes to visa renewal time, might see if I can change it to L1-A then.

Originally Posted by Socal Local
As far as costs are concerned, it is really difficult to give accurate figures because there are so many variables - maybe a very rough ball park figure of $10K for filing fees + attorney fees.
Thanks for that figure, I had 6k in my head, but its only a bit more - and we'd save that on fuel prices alone if we could stay here instead of going back...