Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

who to fly with!!!

who to fly with!!!

Old Jul 28th 2008, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Julie9 has a spectacular aura aboutJulie9 has a spectacular aura aboutJulie9 has a spectacular aura about
Default who to fly with!!!

We have had two similar in price quotes for flights one with qantas stopping at singapore on the way there and at Melbourne on the way back and one with cathay pacific stopping at hong kong both ways dont know which to choose any input would be great thanks
julie
Old Jul 28th 2008, 5:58 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: who to fly with!!!

Personally, I would fly Cathay Pacific. Not because of the recent problem with the Quantas flight, but because Cathay ranked higher on the which? guide to airlines in which Quantas didn't feature at all! Incidentally, Singapore were top of the tree.
Hope that helps a bit.

Last edited by alipally; Jul 28th 2008 at 6:14 pm. Reason: Damned tablet computer with sylus is absolute pants!!
Old Jul 28th 2008, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

MANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really nice

We flew with Singapore Air in March, Heathrow to Sydney and they were fantastic. Singapore airport is really amazing, loads to do, immaculately clean, masses of space, gorgeous open air rooftop swimming pool, lovely hotel where you book rooms by 3 hourly stays great for a rest. They were the best priced too much less than BA or Quantas.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 7:38 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Julie9
We have had two similar in price quotes for flights one with qantas stopping at singapore on the way there and at Melbourne on the way back and one with cathay pacific stopping at hong kong both ways dont know which to choose any input would be great thanks
julie
Cathay Pacific. Simply because its an Asian airline with a much better rep. That said both of those carriers are not amongst the cheaper ones. I don't know where your final destination is or if you are leaving from LHR but there are cheaper fares than those two usually.

I'd personally go a star alliance airline such as Singapore, Thai etc but thats only because my frequent flyer card is Singapore Airlines and you have more chance of collecting more points over years with Star Alliance partners rather than One World which is BA, Qantas and Cathy primarily and the FF program is stingy with them too.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

kurrikurri is on a distinguished road

Yes, I agree Singapore Airlines. We first flew to Australia in 2006 straight through from Manchester - Singapore (2 hour refueling) then onto Syndey. They were fantastic. So helpful. Our next flight again to Oz, we went again with Singapore Airlines 2007.

We had a longer stop over in Singapore airport - 6 hours - so we could go to the roof top swimming pool in the airport - fabulous. 30degress at 10pm! All you need to pack is your bathing costume. You get a towel, shampoo, shower gel, tea/coffee and a biscuit for about £4. There is an airbus which you jump on and takes about one minute to get there. Do it, it is really good.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not ashamed of rattling out the same advice over and over again as I've made it a life mission and that is:

DON'T FLY BA - THEY ARE ABSOLUTELY CRAP.

I thank you!

Good luck with your flight booking
Old Aug 9th 2008, 9:03 pm
OH is STILL undecided grr

Racht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond repute

My mates just come back from a reccie inAus and she flew with Singapore, she said they was fantastic! it was like a holiday in itself!
Old Aug 10th 2008, 10:42 am

carmele is an unknown quantity at this point

We flew singapore, not because of any reputation or anything but just because of the departure times, dates and stopovers suited us.

They were great in my opinion (and I have worked for Easyjet and thought they were top dog..... well A to B and all that!) ....we had no probswhatsoever with 2 kids 3 and 5 on both flights lhr - singapore - sydney....(who'da thought!)

OH's mum has flown Eithad and my mum has flown Emirates, both recommended too!

Personal choice.... but my motto.... as long as it gets you there in one piece it's a good airline
Old Aug 10th 2008, 12:09 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

If it's really down to either Cathay or QANTAS I'd go Cathay every time. Never used them but they must be superior to QANTAS - can't be any worse.

Any other choice - Singapore.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
If it's really down to either Cathay or QANTAS I'd go Cathay every time. Never used them but they must be superior to QANTAS - can't be any worse.

Any other choice - Singapore.
I've flown with both and never had any problems, I would never say that Cathay were superior on hearsay, Have also used Emirates and Singapore and imo Singapore have been the best so far. Will also give Malaysia a try soon and see how they score

John
Old Aug 11th 2008, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

Singapore Airlines were the best for us, however as you only have the choice of Quantas or Cathay it has to be Cathay.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

We have used singapore airlines every time and found them to be very very good.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 11:59 am
Just Joined

CnG-OZ Bound will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Julie9
julie
We have flown British Airways, Cathay Pacific & Singapore Airlines.

DEFINITLY DO NOT FLY BA - They are Crap (with a big 'C') Never will we fly with them. I call them 'Pterydactyl Airways'.

Both Cathay & Singapore were excellent.
But by choice we would always fly Singapore Airlines now. They were awesome as was the new A380.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 1:35 pm
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of

+1 on all the above

Cathay beats Qantas hands down.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 2:58 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
I've flown with both and never had any problems, I would never say that Cathay were superior on hearsay, Have also used Emirates and Singapore and imo Singapore have been the best so far. Will also give Malaysia a try soon and see how they score

John
You will not be dissappointed with MAS - one of my favorites

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.