Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Swapping to an interest only mortgage

Swapping to an interest only mortgage

Old Jul 15th 2008, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light
Default Swapping to an interest only mortgage

Those that still have UK properties.

What are the parameters that you must meet to be able to get one on your property without an endowment ?

We move to Aus in just over a week, and this is a last ditch attempt to reduce our monthly losses on the mortgage

Stu

Last edited by Stu Ward; Jul 15th 2008 at 6:12 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

llanfachreth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Swapping to an interest only mortgage

You do not need an endowment to have an interest only mortgage. Some lenders may stipulate you must have some sort of repayment vehicle, i.e endowment, ISA etc - however most will not ask to see proof of this.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 9:46 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

We've got an interest only mortgage on our UK property which we rent out. When we left it was more common to go for interest only buy to let than it was repayment. Shouldnt be a problem changing it at all
Old Jul 16th 2008, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

When I worked in lending we used to assign endowment policies to interest only mortgages. As far as I am aware this practice has now ceased.

We converted our repayment mortgage over to interest only as we have rented out our UK property. The lender wanted to know how we planned to repay the debt at the end of the term and we wrote that we would either sell it or pay it off from inheritance money. They didn't require any further proof or documentation.

You also get tax relief on the interest only element of the loan on your investment property so it is wise to convert it to int only for this reason as well as reducing the monthly loan payment.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 6:51 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by llanfachreth
You do not need an endowment to have an interest only mortgage. Some lenders may stipulate you must have some sort of repayment vehicle, i.e endowment, ISA etc - however most will not ask to see proof of this.

We wish. Nationwide are being really difficult. We have put in our 3rd application and if this doesnt work well we are stuck. We have had to send proof of our Lump Sum from Pensions to show we can pay the house off and we had to extend the term so that the pension matures before the mortgage runs out.

We have had a nightmare in what we were led to believe would be a quick and easy process. We started trying to change back in May. We fly in 2 wks time.

Jo
Old Jul 16th 2008, 6:54 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Caroline G
When I worked in lending we used to assign endowment policies to interest only mortgages. As far as I am aware this practice has now ceased.

We converted our repayment mortgage over to interest only as we have rented out our UK property. The lender wanted to know how we planned to repay the debt at the end of the term and we wrote that we would either sell it or pay it off from inheritance money. They didn't require any further proof or documentation.

You also get tax relief on the interest only element of the loan on your investment property so it is wise to convert it to int only for this reason as well as reducing the monthly loan payment.

We told Nationwide we would sell the house they wanted £150,000 equity in the property to do this which we dont have the house is only worth £200,000 so they rejected that idea. I dont know if its due to the credit crunch but they want evidence of how we can pay it off. We are trying employment pensions lump sum this time. 3rd time lucky we hope!

Jo
Old Jul 16th 2008, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

We have a Nationwide mortgage and they have said the same thing to us

Stu
Old Jul 16th 2008, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

llanfachreth is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by joh117
We told Nationwide we would sell the house they wanted £150,000 equity in the property to do this which we dont have the house is only worth £200,000 so they rejected that idea. I dont know if its due to the credit crunch but they want evidence of how we can pay it off. We are trying employment pensions lump sum this time. 3rd time lucky we hope!

Jo
I think it depends what you tell them you're paying it off with. All lenders are different. I suppose the bestway is to find out what they want to hear before approaching them about it...
Old Jul 16th 2008, 5:34 pm
Pass The Post

They are not being helpful at all. We just keep getting letters saying No. Not any help in how we can reduce our payments.

We have their permission to rent the house at least! For 3 yrs anyhow

JO
Old Jul 16th 2008, 5:36 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

We told them we are going to rent it out (Coventry Building Society). No problem, they worked out the best deal for me. I lied a litle and told them i'd only be in Oz for 2 years, they agreed to keep me on the 5.6% rate for the interest only, rather than upping it to more like 7% for the but to let.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

The Clarkeys has a brilliant futureThe Clarkeys has a brilliant futureThe Clarkeys has a brilliant futureThe Clarkeys has a brilliant futureThe Clarkeys has a brilliant futureThe Clarkeys has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by joh117
They are not being helpful at all. We just keep getting letters saying No. Not any help in how we can reduce our payments.

We have their permission to rent the house at least! For 3 yrs anyhow

JO
Did you ask your mortgage company if they were happy to let you rent it out? we are really struggling with what we are going to do with our house and have no one look at it in 2 months and a buy to let mortgage is too expensive
Old Jul 16th 2008, 7:37 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

We just had a form to fill in to notify them we were going to be renting it out. I agree buy to let interest only was nearly as expensive as paying the normal mortgage.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

The Clarkeys has a brilliant futureThe Clarkeys has a brilliant futureThe Clarkeys has a brilliant futureThe Clarkeys has a brilliant futureThe Clarkeys has a brilliant futureThe Clarkeys has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MarkMC
We just had a form to fill in to notify them we were going to be renting it out. I agree buy to let interest only was nearly as expensive as paying the normal mortgage.
cheers for that. will have to look into it as don't see any liklihood we wil be able to sell in the near future so looking at all available avenues!!
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

kendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nice

I also have a house in the uk (on the market at the moment) but have made enquiries yesterday to start letting it out to help cover our rental costs here. We are on interest only mortgage in the uk. Two questions - do I have to contact my uk mortgage company to tell them if I let it out and 2) I am seeing a tax consultant here in Oz tomorrow - do I tell them I have a property in the UK and if so do I tell them I am thinking of letting it out - any info greatly appreciated - new to all of this!!!
Old Jul 17th 2008, 3:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

Originally Posted by kendalanita
I also have a house in the uk (on the market at the moment) but have made enquiries yesterday to start letting it out to help cover our rental costs here. We are on interest only mortgage in the uk. Two questions - do I have to contact my uk mortgage company to tell them if I let it out and 2) I am seeing a tax consultant here in Oz tomorrow - do I tell them I have a property in the UK and if so do I tell them I am thinking of letting it out - any info greatly appreciated - new to all of this!!!
1) Yes, you will need to ask your current lender for permission to let out the property. The managing agent and building/contents insurer will want to see confirmation of this permission. It will probably breach the terms and condition of the mortgage agreement if you do not ask for the lenders permission.

2) Yes, tell the Oz tax consultant you are thinking of letting your property out. If you do become an overseas landlord you will need to register yourself as such so that tax is not deducted from the rental income. The managing agents should have the appropriate forms. Also, any rental income received as profit will be considered income and should be declared on your Oz tax return. You can also claim tax back on expenses paid to run and maintain the property, such as, mortgage interest, repairs, costs etc.

regards,
Caroline

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.