Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

SCARED SINGLE MUM!

SCARED SINGLE MUM!

Old Jul 14th 2008, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

jane99 is a name known to alljane99 is a name known to alljane99 is a name known to alljane99 is a name known to alljane99 is a name known to alljane99 is a name known to alljane99 is a name known to alljane99 is a name known to alljane99 is a name known to alljane99 is a name known to alljane99 is a name known to all
Default SCARED SINGLE MUM!

Have just made the big decision to move out to Sydney. Have visited twice this year and loved it.
Has been very stressful trying to persuade my ex husband to agree. Statutory declaration has just gone out to him.
Am a nurse so should be fairly straight forward.
Though have started to worry about just about everything! Mainly financial. Rent seems so much in Sydney. Is there any child benefit or assistance for single parents? Would just love to hear from anyone with any tips to calm my nerves! Thanks
Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

denkar101 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SCARED SINGLE MUM!

Originally Posted by jane99
Have just made the big decision to move out to Sydney. Have visited twice this year and loved it.
Has been very stressful trying to persuade my ex husband to agree. Statutory declaration has just gone out to him.
Though have started to worry about just about everything! Mainly financial. Rent seems so much in Sydney. Is there any child benefit or assistance for single parents? Would just love to hear from anyone with any tips to calm my nerves! Thanks
Hi Jane,
Go for it!
Most hospitals have onsite living quarters that will suit you and your child.
Not sure if you can access any benefits but I am sure someone will be along shortly to advise you on this.
Good luck, you won't regret it.
Dennis
Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

jane99 is a name known to alljane99 is a name known to alljane99 is a name known to alljane99 is a name known to alljane99 is a name known to alljane99 is a name known to alljane99 is a name known to alljane99 is a name known to alljane99 is a name known to alljane99 is a name known to alljane99 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by denkar101
Hi Jane,
Go for it!
Most hospitals have onsite living quarters that will suit you and your child.
Not sure if you can access any benefits but I am sure someone will be along shortly to advise you on this.
Good luck, you won't regret it.
Dennis
Thank you. Didnt cross my mind that I might be able to get hospital accomodation for both of us.
Jane
Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

denkar101 is on a distinguished road

Thank you. Didnt cross my mind that I might be able to get hospital accomodation for both of us.
Jane
No worries,
My Ex is an RN and has no trouble finding work and accomodation anywhere in Australia, you will be very sought after wherever you go.
Good luck.
Dennis
Old Jul 14th 2008, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of

Jane,
Not too sure if it'll help but we are looking to buy when we move to Sydney hopefully soon, if you go to the outer suburbs the prices aren't as steep. We're looking at wollengong and they seem reasonable but like i say we are looking at buying, not too sure if the rental market is the same.

In respect of actually going you go for it lass, if it doesn't work out you haven't lost anything, if you dont' go you will regret it later on.

When your ex signs your stat dec make sure you get a certified or colour electronic copy of his passport, a lot of people have applied on 136's and have been asked for this later on in the process in order to varify that it is your ex that has signed the stat dec.

good luck, take care
Vicky
Old Jul 14th 2008, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of

Just thought, try contacting 'daunted' she posts on here regularly and made the move as a single mother over to Oz from Lancashire late last year. She'll offer you loads of support she's fab
Old Jul 14th 2008, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by vickys
Jane,
Not too sure if it'll help but we are looking to buy when we move to Sydney hopefully soon, if you go to the outer suburbs the prices aren't as steep. We're looking at wollengong and they seem reasonable but like i say we are looking at buying, not too sure if the rental market is the same.

In respect of actually going you go for it lass, if it doesn't work out you haven't lost anything, if you dont' go you will regret it later on.

When your ex signs your stat dec make sure you get a certified or colour electronic copy of his passport, a lot of people have applied on 136's and have been asked for this later on in the process in order to varify that it is your ex that has signed the stat dec.

good luck, take care
Vicky
Thank you Vicky. Will pass on your advice to my solicitor. Good luck with your move. Jane
Old Jul 14th 2008, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you Vicky. Will pass on your advice to my solicitor. Good luck with your move. Jane
Thanks hun, If you need any help this side or over there once we are there please feel free to ask.

good luck
Vic's
Old Jul 15th 2008, 12:19 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

When it comes to claiming benefits, if you are on a sponsored visa (eg 457) then you are not entitled to any assistance. You may be able to get LAFHA though - do a search on here for this as it has cropeed up a lot.

If you come on a permanent visa then you should be eligable - although I am not sure if you have to be here a certain time before you can claim.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Hi jayne I have only just seen this thread. If you want to contact me feel free to email, I dont get on here as much anymore.
I came out in November 2007 with 2 kids and we havent looked back. It has been hard at times but nothing we havent been able to work through and the kids are in constant contact with their dad via msn/ web cam and phones etc, he is even coming to stay with us for 3 weeks in september
I am sure you will be good too, its just very very daunting (the user name!) having noone to talk to and share the concerns with whilst keeping smile on face for the kids.
I will pm you my website password then you can see some of what we have managed to get through all in one piece
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:26 am
Just Joined

oz2008 will become famous soon enough

Hi Jane,
i too am a single mum of a 6 year old and we plan on making the move next year. I am a District nurse in the uk and my biggest fear is what do i do with my daughter if i have to get a job where i work nights: but i am kind of thinking i'll just cross that bridge when i get to it! Can i ask why you decided on Sydney. I am struggling to know where i want to live that offers my daughter the lifestyle i want for her but also gives me an active social life.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 11:08 am
Feeling A Million Pesetas

Scuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud of

Jane, come in to the Official Loners' Thread, we'll make you feel better!
Old Jul 17th 2008, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by daunted
Hi jayne I have only just seen this thread. If you want to contact me feel free to email, I dont get on here as much anymore.
I came out in November 2007 with 2 kids and we havent looked back. It has been hard at times but nothing we havent been able to work through and the kids are in constant contact with their dad via msn/ web cam and phones etc, he is even coming to stay with us for 3 weeks in september
I am sure you will be good too, its just very very daunting (the user name!) having noone to talk to and share the concerns with whilst keeping smile on face for the kids.
I will pm you my website password then you can see some of what we have managed to get through all in one piece

I am so in awe of women like you two... You are so brave to make this journey as single mums....

I always think of myself as strong but I dont know if I could do what you have ( daunted) or are contemplating(jane) doing..

You both deserve:
1. A medal
2. A round of applause
3.The karma I have sent you...

I take my hat off to you both......
Old Jul 17th 2008, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by daunted
You forgot to add that you have been a constant support to a heck of a lot of others in that speech too babe
Old Jul 17th 2008, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Hello. Have only been to Sydney and Adelaide. Visited a bloke (dont ever date Drs girls! nothing but trouble!!) in Jan and loved it. Beautiful city, loads to see and do, people friendly. But also surrounding countryside is amazing, mountains, rivers, national parks and beaches.
Went back to see him! with my 11year old at Easter to investigate further and could just see us having a great new lifestyle. If nothing else it is worth moving there for the fish market!
Of course I havent been to other places so cant compare. I know someone who has been in Perth sometime and loves it. Let me know where you decide on. xx
I am worried about child care too, tho of course Sam is a bit older. Am a recovery and surgical nurse so praying for a job in day surgery.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.