Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Sana'a Yemen - any tips?

Sana'a Yemen - any tips?

Old Jul 14th 2008, 7:49 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sana'a Yemen - any tips?

Thinking of visiting Sana'a.

Any one been? Tips? Things to do / see? End of July be too hot to walk around - it's about 32 C I think...

Thinking of staying at the Movenpick or the Burj Al Salam - any one stayed there?

Cheers!
Old Jul 14th 2008, 9:11 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sana'a Yemen - any tips?

you need to speak to W10, PM him
Old Jul 14th 2008, 10:01 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

yeh.....dont get shot!

Avoid any public demonstrations, do not accept an offer to visit the tribal homelands in the hills etc etc. From whta I hear Sana'a is pretty safe but the sticks are well dodgy
Old Jul 14th 2008, 10:44 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
yeh.....dont get shot!

Avoid any public demonstrations, do not accept an offer to visit the tribal homelands in the hills etc etc. From whta I hear Sana'a is pretty safe but the sticks are well dodgy
haha - yeah I know the north is well dodgy - no, just thinking of a a couple of days in Sana'a only, explore the old town etc.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:16 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

You appear to have duplicated this topic. Are you getting sunstroke?
Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:18 am
Powered by cows

Originally Posted by lionheart
You appear to have duplicated this topic. Are you getting sunstroke?
i posted the other one in the Sand Pit by mistake - I figured this is applicable to the main forum as others might like info on Sana'a too...
Old Jul 15th 2008, 11:48 am
Just Joined

lazybones is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Thinking of visiting Sana'a.

Any one been? Tips? Things to do / see? End of July be too hot to walk around - it's about 32 C I think...

Thinking of staying at the Movenpick or the Burj Al Salam - any one stayed there?

Cheers!
Movenpick is a good hotel I stayed ther last year, its a little out of the city but I would highly recommend it.

Yeman was good, people friendly, usual tips, fly business, book transfers in advance etc, traffic is very busy.

Enjoy
Old Jul 15th 2008, 1:59 pm
W10

Originally Posted by Autonomy
i posted the other one in the Sand Pit by mistake - I figured this is applicable to the main forum as others might like info on Sana'a too...
Burj Al Salaam definitely (owned by Prince Naseem no less). You have to stay in a hotel in the old town.

Jump in a taxi once you get out of the airport, its extremely entertaining.

Be prepared for chaos on the way back though

Do go and see.

Dar Al Hajar
The sink holes
Kawkaban
Shibam
Qat Souk
Souk Al Milh
Bab al Yemen
Yemen Museum
Do bring me back some Yemeni honey (best in the world - in fact you'll pass lots of apiarys on your way into the mountains)

Most important tip - just wander the streets, get lost and enjoy a beautiful city with amazing hospitality. You'll get invited in for tea, lunch, qat all over the place. And you'll hear cries of 'soura, soura' from children everywhere you go.

By the way. I'd recommend a trip to Iran to anyone.

Old Jul 15th 2008, 2:03 pm
W10

Hotels...no contest surely

http://www.moevenpick-hotels.com/en/...a/overview.cfm

http://www.burjalsalam.com/yemen.htm

Old Jul 15th 2008, 2:30 pm