Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

If you had the choice AD or Dubai ??

If you had the choice AD or Dubai ??

Old Jun 9th 2008, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

markhighpeak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default If you had the choice AD or Dubai ??

If you where coming to the UAE and with your knowledge of the area/s, would you rather live in AD or Dubai? From what i've read on here, Dubai is a lot more frantic than AD, but no matter where you go, accomodation and schooling are both as bad.

I fly out there for 1 weeks scoutung next week and will be looking at both areas, but due to my limited time, I would appreciate any feedback on the people that live out there?

I will hopefully be bringing the missus and 3 young children out when the time is right.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you had the choice AD or Dubai ??

Originally Posted by markhighpeak
If you where coming to the UAE and with your knowledge of the area/s, would you rather live in AD or Dubai? From what i've read on here, Dubai is a lot more frantic than AD, but no matter where you go, accomodation and schooling are both as bad.

I fly out there for 1 weeks scoutung next week and will be looking at both areas, but due to my limited time, I would appreciate any feedback on the people that live out there?

I will hopefully be bringing the missus and 3 young children out when the time is right.
Abu Dhabi for families, Dubai for singles and young couples.

Although that may change in the coming years, with Abu Dhabi moving up another gear or two..
Old Jun 10th 2008, 4:41 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Abu Dhabi for well balanced human beings and Dubai for nutters, unless you are rich and can afford a 5* life style.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 4:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

dubai has a lot more 'going on' but if you are trying for a british school i would say that dubai is the better choice, there are definately more of them, in ad there are only 1 old one age 3-18 (wait list) and a new one this year but only primary age up to 11, another new one being built to open sometime in sept only going up to year9 in first instance. Houses you will find a lot more in dubai much cheaper than at the mo in AD its gone mad!
Old Jun 10th 2008, 4:50 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

I just love it here in Dubai...and I'd hate it if we had to move to AD...
can't really say why...I am used to living here now, know my way round and everything, kids are settled etc...
The fact that you have kids doesn't necessarily mean that therefore you want things to be quiet by the way...just like not all singles or couples are out on the town all the time. There is more going on in Dubai that's for sure, but it's still an individual choice whether or not you participate in all those activities. Life in the residential areas is just as normal as it is anywhere else I'd say...
The whole nutter thing...I am not sure what LH means by that, but I don't feel Dubai is full of nutters. And as for money...yeah, it does make life a hell of a lot easier but isn't that the case anyway...
Old Jun 10th 2008, 5:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by admon
Abu Dhabi for families, Dubai for singles and young couples.

Although that may change in the coming years, with Abu Dhabi moving up another gear or two..
i've got kids and i, and they, love it here...why would dubai only be for singles and couples???

MM, xx
Old Jun 10th 2008, 5:02 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
i've got kids and i, and they, love it here...why would dubai only be for singles and couples???

MM, xx
I don't get that distinction either...surely it's good to have a lot of things going on so you can pick what you like either for yourself or for the kids...
and again, it's not like you have to do it all...it's just there in case you want it
Old Jun 10th 2008, 5:07 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I would say go for the one where you can get school places, and that looks like it might be Dubai over AD. Loads of families here in Dubai. Make sure you get a good package, living here with three kids aint cheap.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa

MM, xx
Wooooaaaaahh there...

Back off the mic a little please..
I only gave my opinion that I think AD is better for families..

also I didn't say dubai would only be for singles and couples..
Old Jun 10th 2008, 5:39 am
Here comes the Sun

twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute

Ive lived in both!
Dubai seems to be more spread out so takes a half hour taxi ride (if you can get one) in the evenings to go out. loads of stuff for families My Sister in laws kids loved it there!!
Abu Dhabi seems to be all in one place. We have a better social life here as it is easier to get to places and see friends! There are still loads of bars and restaurants here. Most of the brunch places cater for children too...

I think you will just have to decide what is personally best for you!
Buy Abu Dhabi and Dubai explorer books its gives good information about both places.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 5:53 am
Account Closed

I was very impressed with the traffic system and greenery when I visited AD on business yesterday...and that new white mosque on the way to the airport...its a big bugger, that's for sure. Can non-Muslims take a peak inside?
Old Jun 10th 2008, 6:24 am
Banned

Sam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
I was very impressed with the traffic system and greenery when I visited AD on business yesterday...and that new white mosque on the way to the airport...its a big bugger, that's for sure. Can non-Muslims take a peak inside?
Yes, you can visit the mosque, but you need to ring and make an appointment. It has the biggest carpet in the world! Also, check out the Picasso exhibition at Emirates Palace if you are coming back before September.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 7:12 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Sam FTQ
Yes, you can visit the mosque, but you need to ring and make an appointment. It has the biggest carpet in the world! Also, check out the Picasso exhibition at Emirates Palace if you are coming back before September.
I was definitely planning to see the exhibition but not sure about making an appointment to see the mosque. Do you happen to have Allah's number to hand?
Old Jun 10th 2008, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam FTQ
their bill for Shake'n'vac must be huge!
Old Jun 10th 2008, 7:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by admon
Wooooaaaaahh there...

Back off the mic a little please..
I only gave my opinion that I think AD is better for families..

also I didn't say dubai would only be for singles and couples..
course, and i'm just saying that dubai is great for families...i wouldn't want to live in AD for sure...!

MM, xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.