Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Interest rates on savings - woeful

Interest rates on savings - woeful

Old Jun 3rd 2008, 2:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Interest rates on savings - woeful

Anyone got any tips on where to put savings at the moment (in Canada).

Scotiabank kindly pointed out to me today that their own rates were poor (!) and currently stand at 2.25% I believe, and so recommended that I investigate where I would like to put my money ...

Even ING are only offering 3%. Anyone got any other institutions that may offer more on an instant access account (and yes, I appreciate this is my downfall, but I cannot commit to putting the funds away for 1, 3, or 5 years at this stage!).

The UK offers better rates - and I do still have a savings account there. I'm wondering if it's worth changing the money back into pounds (and I will win due to the good/bad exchange rate )
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 3:01 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Interest rates on savings - woeful

Old Jun 3rd 2008, 3:04 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Hows about UK Premium Bonds?

Pros: they go in a draw every month and the rate of return seems pretty good, plus you don't pay tax on any winnings as its classed as a lottery.

Cons: take about a month to get into the draw and take about a month to cash the money in, plus no 'interest' as such. If you don't already have premium bonds and you live in Canada its a bit of a faff as you have to give them tax numbers and stuff.

Othwerwise there used to be some good rate E savings accounts in the UK, but would the tax you pay on any interest earned in the UK here in Canada cancel out any additional interest you might have earned?

I am also wondering where the best interest rates are over here - TD savings account is offering a measly 0.25%, so for now I am using ING but as you say its only about 3%. If you have a mortgage where you can make overpayments it might be better to use the money to pay a bit of that off instead!

Let me know if anyone finds a better rate than ING that is easy to get at.

Its worse than I thought.....http://money.canoe.ca/rates/savings.html

Last edited by Flossie and Jim; Jun 3rd 2008 at 3:31 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 3:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

We got an introductory rate on our HSBC Direct Savings account last month, I think it was a one-off that applied to any money used to open the account with and was something like 4.25%, so that's what we're still getting.

The regular rate now is 3%, same as ING.

It was advertised a lot on the TV. Watch for the specials!
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 3:42 am
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ann m
Anyone got any tips on where to put savings at the moment (in Canada).

Scotiabank kindly pointed out to me today that their own rates were poor (!) and currently stand at 2.25% I believe, and so recommended that I investigate where I would like to put my money ...

Even ING are only offering 3%. Anyone got any other institutions that may offer more on an instant access account (and yes, I appreciate this is my downfall, but I cannot commit to putting the funds away for 1, 3, or 5 years at this stage!).

The UK offers better rates - and I do still have a savings account there. I'm wondering if it's worth changing the money back into pounds (and I will win due to the good/bad exchange rate )

Just been looking into this for my son and sorry the best I found was 2.25% with instant access. We offered to invest it wisely for him in various shares etc or even ING but my son wants to see it go into the bank and interest slowly grow in his bank book!!
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 3:47 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

That's about the best it gets. Correspondingly lending rates are higher in the UK than Canada, mortgage holders are better off as are business borrowers.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

You could look at offshore savings like those that bradford and bingley have.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

You may well be better off taking advantage of the strong CAD and saving in the UK, where rates are not expected to drop anymore for a while. You'll get double the interest, and, fingers crossed, when you need the CAD's the rate may be back up to the 2.2+ mark!
Old Jun 5th 2008, 1:43 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

you can get a cashable GIC which offers you the best of both worlds - we do a casable rate riser whereby you can access your money every month on the anniversay of its deposit and then each year after that - however I would take it out at the end of the first year then re-invest in another, (currently the rates are 2.75 for the first year 3.25 for the second and 4 for the third, not great but 2.75% on a minimum investment of $1000 is not too bad at present)

Check out the other banks options at present and compare what they have.

The locals such as ATB will offer you better rates than the big 5 however they are obviously limited to their own province - alternativly speak to an FA who will have the best rates from all of them.

hth
Old Jun 5th 2008, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

drwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nice

RBC has an internet esaver account which is 2.75%. Not much but better than some.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

Forget banks buy some good olde gold bullion and hide it under your bed.