Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Personal Satellite Internet - Saudi

Personal Satellite Internet - Saudi

Old May 13th 2008, 7:18 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold
Default Personal Satellite Internet - Saudi

hello,

does anyone have any experience with using a portable satellite broadband transceiver? i'm trying to sort out my options to maintain some development work & servers from within Saudi and understand that the local connections are pretty restricted. (may not allow SSH tunnelling, etc.?)

can anyone confirm this? i've also read that personal satellite sets can cause problems with customs? any ideas on this one?

any help greatly appreciated

still.unsure (but going anyway!)
Old Jun 7th 2008, 7:31 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Personal Satellite Internet - Saudi

Not tried specifically SSH tunnelling but VPNs in general seem to work fine over the ADSL connections...

My impressions of satellite broadband are that it's a) very slow and b) very expensive.

We have both ADSL and HSDPA broadband routers in our villa, both give ok speeds. In better coverage areas HSDPA flies though.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 7:53 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

ooh didnt think you could get hsdpa here. where'd you find out the coverage?
Old Jun 7th 2008, 8:13 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Trial and error...

Originally Posted by Mobily
7) What are the areas covered by the network
# Riyadh
# Jeddah
# Khamees Mushayt
# Madina
# Dammam
# Makkah
# Khobar
# Al Taif
# Qateef
# Buraida
# Dhahran
# Unaiza
# Taroot
# Abha
# Sehat
# Thaqba
There's coverage throughout Riyadh but for some reason our villa is a bit of a blackspot for 3(.5)G coverage. Best way to test it is to find someone with a 3.5G phone and get them to wander around your house telling you what the signal is like!

To read more about it, go to http://www.mobily.com.sa and under Products & Services choose 3.5G.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 8:37 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
Trial and error...

There's coverage throughout Riyadh but for some reason our villa is a bit of a blackspot for 3(.5)G coverage. Best way to test it is to find someone with a 3.5G phone and get them to wander around your house telling you what the signal is like!

To read more about it, go to http://www.mobily.com.sa and under Products & Services choose 3.5G.
damn thought you meant UAE.
this is one of the areas that the UAE is falling behind in...3g barely works here let alone 3.5
Old Jun 7th 2008, 8:43 am
Not an evil hypnotist

Originally Posted by shiva
damn thought you meant UAE.
this is one of the areas that the UAE is falling behind in...3g barely works here let alone 3.5
Aah sorry!

Agreed though... I find Mobily's service far in advance of Etisalat, even though Etisalat part-owns Mobily
Old Jun 7th 2008, 9:38 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

brilliant! many thanks for the help!

any ideas on portable satellite broadband along the lines of RBGAN? (those little satellite-dishes-in-a-suitcase-things?) i've read conflicting ideas that they're banned in KSA and would like to know if they are.

thanks again for your help,

still.unsure
Old Jun 7th 2008, 9:49 am
Not an evil hypnotist

Originally Posted by still.unsure
brilliant! many thanks for the help!

any ideas on portable satellite broadband along the lines of RBGAN? (those little satellite-dishes-in-a-suitcase-things?) i've read conflicting ideas that they're banned in KSA and would like to know if they are.
No idea... I can tell you that all imported equipment has to be licenced by CITC and only licenced service providers are allowed though.

ICCSAT might be worth checking out.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by typical
No idea... I can tell you that all imported equipment has to be licenced by CITC and only licenced service providers are allowed though.

ICCSAT might be worth checking out.
cheers!

at a cursory glance, iccsat may be a bit of overkill, but i'll have a look at the citc stuff and see what can be sorted. i have a sneaking suspicion that i'd have to damn near smuggle sat equipment in to use a european isp so am not going to bother.

thanks for the help!

still.unsure