Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone flown on Korean Airways?

Anyone flown on Korean Airways?

Old Jun 8th 2008, 2:10 am

Triboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone flown on Korean Airways?

I've flown Korean a bit, but fly Asiana much much more as I find the service in Business Class is a bit better than Korean (but both are better then western airlines).

Unless I/we are going on a short int flight, we always fly Asiana via Korea now. I like the service, the transfer to Royal Mueng Dom hotel in the city is painless, and there is a nice civilised 1.30pm departure time to UK. The hotel is right in the middle of the trendy night market area.

It does help I can speak Korean (kind of ) and my wife is Korean, but I've spent years flying around the world, mostly in business class for work, and every major airline multiple times. But when it comes to shelling out my money, it goes to Asiana everytime. For business class they represent the best in service and value in my opinion.

Korean Air seem to be a bit dearer than Asiana. We just priced our tickets for our US Xmas trip and Korean were $6,330 ea vs Asiana at $5,400 .

I like spending time in Korea (I was married there, all in Korean language). I see a lot of ignorant comments about Korea. It doesn't bother me or my wife, but at least try Asiana or Korean Air. If you don't like them, use someone else next time. Personally I'd never fly with anyone else again if I had my choice. I do like Korean food, but not all of it. But there are western food choices as well.

If you only learn one word of Korean, learn 'com samneeda' which means 'thankyou', it goes a long way
Old Jun 8th 2008, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triboy
Personally I'd never fly with anyone else again if I had my choice. :
me too.

(If I have my choice) I'd only fly Korean Air or Asiana (especially long haul) They are simply gorgeous.

and Qantas (within NZ/to OZ); only short haul

Even a trip to the U.S & U.K from NZ, still Korean Air's handy + it only costs $200~300 extra to UK & US (round trip).

Last edited by crap coffee; Jun 8th 2008 at 2:54 am.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

sparklebelle is an unknown quantity at this point

We used Korean last year when we flew to Sydney from LHR. Had an overnight stop on the return flight. Thought we would end up in a transit hotel but had to go through immigration (another stamp for the passport!) and ended up staying in the Hyatt Regency! Included in the price was the overnight stay, plus a voucher for dinner (ok but you got what you were given) AND breakfast was also included. This was brill, you could have Asian, Western or fruit etc. We really stocked up on this! Food on the flight was ok if you like Asian - they do Western food but they run out pretty quickly! I liked the Asian choice but OH didn't!

Only problem was, the aircraft from Seoul to Sydney was ancient, overhead screens for the films etc - but in the end it gets you from A to B and at such a reasonable price you can't really complain! I would use them again if the price was right! Hope this helps. Lou
Old Jun 8th 2008, 11:57 pm

Triboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Only problem was, the aircraft from Seoul to Sydney was ancient, overhead screens for the films etc - but in the end it gets you from A to B and at such a reasonable price you can't really complain! I would use them again if the price was right! Hope this helps. Lou
Korean have some 747s that are really getting on a bit, but they do tend to use the older ones for the Syd to Seoul sector and the newer ones elsewhere. JAL do exactly the same thing, ancient 747 from Syd to Narita, then brand spankin new 777 from Narita to UK.

Asiana use 777 for nearly all sectors nowadays.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triboy
Korean have some 747s that are really getting on a bit, but they do tend to use the older ones for the Syd to Seoul sector and the newer ones elsewhere. JAL do exactly the same thing, ancient 747 from Syd to Narita, then brand spankin new 777 from Narita to UK.

Asiana use 777 for nearly all sectors nowadays.
just checked..mine, Korean Air it's 777 !!! - Auckland to Seoul/ Seoul to Auckland.

phew.... lucky. eh?

but I don't bother 747 or whatsoever, I am so tiny therefore the small seat doesn't bother me as well as the rubbish entertainment - as I am not a big fan of entertainment. all I need to do is reading book, eating food and drinking water.

Last edited by crap coffee; Jun 9th 2008 at 1:08 am.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pomref
Sorry to drag up this old post I found on a search.

Im flying Korean Air soon from Aus to UK. I have two questions for any body who has been with them before.

1) whats the duty free like at soul/inchin airport can you buy cheap cigarettes or sprits etc or better to get from sydney airport?

2) In the stop over hotel can you use a british or Australian plug to charge your lap top up or do you need an korean adaptor ?

any help would be good.

pomref
Hi

I am in Seoul.

so I can answer your questions now.

if you have an over (night) stop at Hyatt Regency Incheon

1) mate, please bring your British stuff. I've discovered that the hotel doesn't offer NZ/OZ adaptor right now. but they do have British one. strange eh?

hence I bloody requested for NZ/Oz adaptors to a hotel staff :curse: I think they will have it in near future, because of me . well. I talked (kind of yelling ) to them _in Korean_ - not English) so they will take it seriously.

2) Yes. there are plenty of stores at Incheon airport. my first impression on Incheon airport -- overall, it's 200 X times better than crap Sydney/Auckland airport. but I am not too sure about how many cigarettes or sprits shops there?. think there are more than enough ? People (Koreans) say there are heaps of ciggie shops (certainly much better than Sydney airport), but I don't know what you are looking for (in particular).

cheers

Last edited by crap coffee; Jul 8th 2008 at 7:15 am.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

pomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by crap coffee
Hi

I am in Seoul.

so I can answer your questions now.

if you have an over (night) stop at Hyatt Regency Incheon

1) mate, please bring your British stuff. I've discovered that the hotel doesn't offer NZ/OZ adaptor right now. but they do have British one. strange eh?

hence I bloody requested for NZ/Oz adaptors to a hotel staff :curse: I think they will have it in near future, because of me . well. I talked (kind of yelling ) to them _in Korean_ - not English) so they will take it seriously.

2) Yes. there are plenty of stores at Incheon airport. my first impression on Incheon airport -- overall, it's 200 X times better than crap Sydney/Auckland airport. but I am not too sure about how many cigarettes or sprits shops there?. think there are more than enough ? People (Koreans) say there are heaps of ciggie shops (certainly much better than Sydney airport), but I don't know what you are looking for (in particular).

cheers
Thanks crap coffee,

This infomation is great, thanks for taking the trouble to post this.

Maybe you could give an update, so how was your overall experience flying with Korean air?

Also I been reading in the paper that airlines are trying to get money from fuel sirchages etc when you checked in for your flight did you notice them charging people excess baggage, say your suit case was 25k not 20k as stamped in the ticket?

Have a great trip, enjoy England.

pomref
Old Jul 9th 2008, 7:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

We went from LA to Sydney on Korean. It was fine. The hotel room in the airport at Seoul was odd though, no windows.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 9:22 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I went Hong Kong to Seoul on a 747 freighter, which had room for about 2 dozen in First Class and the rest was just cargo. Was kind of nice but not a very long flight.

I then took a different 747 to the US from Seoul, which was a bit beat up. Food didn't bother me that much having been in HK for months.

Didn't hold a candle to Cathay though.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pomref

Maybe you could give an update, so how was your overall experience flying with Korean air?

pomref
Luckily I sat with a young Brit lady on my way to Seoul. so I was very Happy The airplane was (nearly half) full of Brits at that time

later.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone flown on Korean Airways?-incheon-airport-tobacco-.jpg   Anyone flown on Korean Airways?-incheon-airport-electric-.jpg   Anyone flown on Korean Airways?-incheon-12.jpg   Anyone flown on Korean Airways?-incheon-13.jpg   Anyone flown on Korean Airways?-incheon-15.jpg  

Last edited by crap coffee; Aug 5th 2008 at 2:36 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

xpat5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Only Qantas, Asiana, Korean Air fly direct from Aus to Seoul. (Cathay fly via HK). Korean Air is my least favourite of the 3, but perfectly fine especially if they are cheaper and you are paying for the flight yourself. Qantas, Asiana and Korean all use old planes on that route.

The cigs in Korea are much cheaper than in Aus or the UK, but on the whole, prices are similar to London or Sydney i.e. it's one of the most expensive cities in the world. If you stop off in Seoul you will need a US (two small round pin) adaptor. Go for Korean BBQ, but you will have to try very hard to avoid the horrible pickled cabbage stuff known as kim chi. Given half a chance they will serve it up to you at breakfast.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by xpat5
Only Qantas, Asiana, Korean Air fly direct from Aus to Seoul. (Cathay fly via HK). Korean Air is my least favourite of the 3, but perfectly fine especially if they are cheaper and you are paying for the flight yourself. Qantas, Asiana and Korean all use old planes on that route.

The cigs in Korea are much cheaper than in Aus or the UK, but on the whole, prices are similar to London or Sydney i.e. it's one of the most expensive cities in the world. If you stop off in Seoul you will need a US (two small round pin) adaptor. Go for Korean BBQ, but you will have to try very hard to avoid the horrible pickled cabbage stuff known as kim chi. Given half a chance they will serve it up to you at breakfast.
As I’ve mentioned previously, Korean Air is one of the most expensive airlines - however I chose the Korean Air (my personal reason).

I am not sure I enjoyed or liked them this time really - with ups and downs with FA & rude passengers - arguing about our bloody seats (both ways) :curse:. I no longer feel this is the Korean Air any more (It's just my personal view) - Just - if I compare or recalling my experience with them when I was a kid - Now they are completely different.

I sat with a mid aged Chinese lady on my way back to NZ - My seat was in the window side but not sure why the grumpy lady yelled at me in Chinese (loudly) about her seat as soon as she saw me. I just guess the window seat is hers therefore get me out?? (maybe she can't read English??) In addition, two people behind me they were constantly talking (quite loud) + the Chinese lady was very chatty too with someone (another Chinese) next to her. I was stuck in the middle and there was nothing I could do about it. At the end, I got ear plugs - they drove me nut. hence I had no sleep for 48 hours when I arrived in Auckland. After 5 hours, I transferred to Qantas and had a little doze, subsequently coffee and tea passed! I do remember I said Coffee please. But then I don't know why I wasn't served.?? (maybe I was having forty winks ? don't think so) ... - anyway when I woke up, they were collecting rubbish!

- there's a reason I do know - why the Korean air has to be expensive - cos they are corrupted and they’ve cornered the Korean market, haven’t they. also I was very surprised the fact that they do Boarding Announcement in Chinese as well. - Certainly they didn't do it in the past - something 10 years ago. I've heard increasing of Chinese passengers thats why

Incidentally I don't mind Korean Kimchi (It's very healthy and also protect cancer)- however I am not a fan of Korean cuisines despite having lived in Korea for a long time

Asiana cheaper but food much nicer than Korean Air. That's for sure. I hope you guys had a better experience with them than I did.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone flown on Korean Airways?-2441472505_280117a4bb.jpg   Anyone flown on Korean Airways?-miss-park.jpg   Anyone flown on Korean Airways?-korean-air-breaky.jpg   Anyone flown on Korean Airways?-ka.jpg   Anyone flown on Korean Airways?-koreanair106.jpg  

Last edited by crap coffee; Aug 6th 2008 at 5:40 pm.