Emigrating After University

Old May 5th 2008, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

scottburns2008 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Emigrating After University

Hey. My name is Scott Burns and I'm hoping to emigrate to the US either LA or NY wherever a good job takes me. I'm just wondering if there is any way that this can be done after university, i'll be about 22. I was wondering if I start the process earlier it would be easier for when I've graduated.

I want to become an interpreter/translator in possibly Italian and Spanish as I will study these at university. I'm currently doing French, Spanish and German as AS levels and will do them next year as A levels, then to university. I'm currently 17 but very conscious of the fact that it's a difficult procedure. I've researched visas and the steps that the situation contains. I didn't want to seem to naive haha. I'm just really looking for some sort of guidance.

Thanks a lot,
Scott
Old May 5th 2008, 11:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigrating After University

Originally Posted by scottburns2008
Hey. My name is Scott Burns and I'm hoping to emigrate to the US either LA or NY wherever a good job takes me. I'm just wondering if there is any way that this can be done after university, i'll be about 22. I was wondering if I start the process earlier it would be easier for when I've graduated.

I want to become an interpreter/translator in possibly Italian and Spanish as I will study these at university. I'm currently doing French, Spanish and German as AS levels and will do them next year as A levels, then to university. I'm currently 17 but very conscious of the fact that it's a difficult procedure. I've researched visas and the steps that the situation contains. I didn't want to seem to naive haha. I'm just really looking for some sort of guidance.

Thanks a lot,
Scott
So what visa do you feel applies to you? What visa will you be working towards? I'm not sure what kind of guidance you need, if you've done the research and know the steps that it takes...

I guess my only advice would be to keep a list of contacts with companies in the USA that can hire you, and keep letting them know of your availability as you progress, so they can be ready to hire you when the time comes...?

Rene
Old May 5th 2008, 11:33 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Emigrating After University

This is an explanation of all main possible ways to get to the usa here:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

READ IT and see what category you could fit into? If you dont fit into any category then you either
a) give up the dream now.
b) consider another location like OZ or Canada.
or c) work out how you can make yourself get into a category in the future (ie get a job with an employer capable of transferring you out).
Old May 5th 2008, 11:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

J1 visa would be a good bet once graduated if you can blag it...perhaps look for further study over here as a student and then have the chance for OPT.

Other wise, little to no real chance, someone with no experience is unlikely to get offered a job where several thousand dollars is needed to get a visa that is especially though to get.

Having said that, worth looking for work at a uni, would still have the cost of visa issue but at least you don't have the quota cap to worry about...
Old May 6th 2008, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
J1 visa would be a good bet once graduated if you can blag it...
I'd vouch for the J-1. I came over at 21 straight after uni on that. But it only gets a you a year. You'll have to get clever if you want to stay longer.
Old May 6th 2008, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

In regards to the experience. Third year of my degree I will spend half a year in Spain as a translator and half a year in Italy as an interpreter. Will that suffice under some sort of requirement?

Also the category I'd like to think I could fit in would be, "multinational employer who is willing to transfer you".

Originally Posted by hobbes79
I'd vouch for the J-1. I came over at 21 straight after uni on that. But it only gets a you a year. You'll have to get clever if you want to stay longer.
If you don't mind me asking, how did you manage to stay in the US after your visa ran out? Can this visa not be renewed? Would I need to be enrolled in a university?

Last edited by scottburns2008; May 6th 2008 at 4:53 pm.
Old May 6th 2008, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

In regards to the experience. Third year of my degree I will spend half a year in Spain as a translator and half a year in Italy as an interpreter. Will that suffice under some sort of requirement?

Also the category I'd like to think I could fit in would be, "multinational employer who is willing to transfer you".
To fit into this category, you need to find an employer outside the US, with offices in the US, that is willing to transfer you here. This is pretty expensive for employers, so finding one willing to do it may not be easy.
Old May 6th 2008, 5:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You've got to think of the cost, can you honestly expect a company to spend thousands on transferring someone when they can do a local hire for peanuts? A years intern ship won't count for that much, would need more than that....though another option could possibly be diplomatic service and see about getting a posting, though your on your own in finding out how to go about that.
Old May 6th 2008, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't mind me asking, how did you manage to stay in the US after your visa ran out? Can this visa not be renewed? Would I need to be enrolled in a university?
I did a one year internship on the J-1 visa immediately after graduating. The same month in fact (Sept '01). And no, I don't believe it can be renewed.

This was back in 2002, so things may have changed. At the time, you needed a degree and one year of experience to qualify for an H-1B visa. My degree plus the one year internship I just did on the J-1 in the US gave me just enough to qualify. Also, the company I was with was keen to keep me on... which helped a lot.

So it meant I could just transition from the J-1 to the H-1B visa, which got me more time in the US. Up to another 6-years in fact.

These days though, the H-1B is a far trickier visa to get. A search on these forums will give you more info.

While on the H-1B I married a yank... which in turn led to a greencard... which in turn I meant I lived happily ever after in the US. Well, something like that
Old May 9th 2008, 1:11 am
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, Scott:

As a US immigration attorney, I routinely get questions from young people who would like someday to immigrate to the USA. We native-born Americans often take for granted many of the positive aspects of living in this country; however, I sometimes wonder why someone would want to leave someplace as lovely as the UK. That, however, is a personal question, and not a legal one.

Addressing myself to the broad sweep of your question, I would urge you first and foremost to finish your university education, such that you leave with a minimum of a B.A. or B.S. degree. Although H-1B visas are not as easy to obtain as they used to be, I believe that at some point in the not-too-distant future, the H-1Bs will become more plentiful, and your baccalaureate degree will make you eligible for one.

Second: your interest in languages is excellent. However, I hope that you are studying languages because you want to, and not because you think that language study will make you somehow more attractive under a US immigration rubric. It won't. I always urge students to study what they are interested in and are good at, because if you hate what you're studying, you probably won't do as well as if you are studying what you love. Good marks will help you distinguish yourself in your field, and such distinction could lead you to other visa possibilities, including an O visa (for those with "extraordinary" abilities) and the EB-1 immigrant visa (for those with "extraordinary" abilities or outstanding researchers). Further, if you do well, and you end up pursuing an advanced degree, you would be eligible for the EB-2 immigrant visa.

Third: you might considering visiting the USA for an extended period -- perhaps in some sort of secondary school or university semester abroad, exchange student, or gap-year sort of arrangement. This would allow you to see some of America and us Americans up close, warts and all as it were. If you stay and study here for a month or two, and if you still feel that America is the place for you, then I would use your time here to visit with a US immigration lawyer so that you can map out your game plan to become one of us. Immigration to the USA is ALWAYS easier when you plan 'way ahead.

Finally: one other responder mentioned Australia and Canada as possible countries to consider. I can recommend both places to you unreservedly. My own cousin has lived very happily in Australia for over 30 years. And my own experience as a landed immigrant in Canada leads me to conclude that Canada is one of the loveliest places on earth to live.

Best of luck.

--J Craig Fong
Los Angeles, California
Old May 9th 2008, 5:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks a lot,
Scott
I'm impressed with your passion for languages, and the fact that you are investigating different paths that your life may be able to take.

Could I please ask you to think long and hard about being a translator? What about having a career that actually uses the languages. ie actually functioning in those languages.

I was in similar shoes as yourself at one stage....I was desperate to be a UN translator/interpreter....however life took a different course. Quite literally - I didn't get the amazingly high marks that my course needed for entry, and I was also worried that I was setting myself up for one single desk job for life.

Quite a few years later, I started being able to use my French in my daily work as an HR Manager responsible for staffing issues in several French-speaking countries. I then had another change in life, and was able to use my Spanish in medical settings.

I guess what I'm trying to say is a passion for languages really is a wonderful thing, and does give much pleasure. But, there is much more that can be "done" than as a translator or interpretor. Having additional languages adds a dimension or three to any career you may wish to follow.
Old May 10th 2008, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much for all this advice. The first thing I can say is that, I absolutely adore the study of foreign languages and it's almost a creative outlet for me as my number 1 passion in life is singing and music. I really appreciate that you've taken the time to answer my question and I'll definitely take your advice on board. If there's anything else you think could help me, my e-mail address is (deleted).
Thanks once again. Scott x

Last edited by meauxna; May 10th 2008 at 3:39 pm. Reason: email address removed
Old May 10th 2008, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JCraigFong
I sometimes wonder why someone would want to leave someplace as lovely as the UK
Do you want the full list of reasons or just the top 30.....