Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

howard1944, does he post here anymore?

howard1944, does he post here anymore?

Old Apr 12th 2008, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default howard1944, does he post here anymore?

I haven't seen any posts of late.

I wonder if he is still 'with us' (if you get my drift)?
Old Apr 12th 2008, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: howard1944, does he post here anymore?

No, I think he went due to his posts on MBTTUK. I don't tend to read that forum, don't know more than that. Why do you ask, you miss him?
Old Apr 12th 2008, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
No, I think he went due to his posts on MBTTUK. I don't tend to read that forum, don't know more than that. Why do you ask, you miss him?
Looks like he's gone altogther, I quite enjoyed his smug little anecdotes....he didn't half wind people up on the MBTTUK...
Old Apr 12th 2008, 1:19 pm

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by G586
Looks like he's gone altogther, I quite enjoyed his smug little anecdotes....he didn't half wind people up on the MBTTUK...
the barbie too.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I have never met him in the flesh but I followed his posts over the last ten years at a few Canadian financial type forums. I quite like what he has to say most of the time since he tends to speak his mind, is blunt, and is not PC. I find that refreshing. I do not always agree with him but then again, based on my very own posts at this forum, which BTW I enjoy posting to and lurking at, there are a few here who do not see eye-to-eye with me either.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sheff_Sparky
the barbie too.
You are right. He didn't hold that part of the world in high regard.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
I have never met him in the flesh but I followed his posts over the last ten years at a few Canadian financial type forums. I quite like what he has to say most of the time since he tends to speak his mind, is blunt, and is not PC. I find that refreshing. I do not always agree with him but then again, based on my very own posts at this forum, which BTW I enjoy posting to and lurking at, there are a few here who do not see eye-to-eye with me either.
But it sort of just descended into him taunting unhappy expats with his descriptions of his lifestyle...
Old Apr 12th 2008, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by G586
But it sort of just descended into him taunting unhappy expats with his descriptions of his lifestyle...
I know all about his lifestyle from a couple of other forums.

As to the taunting well I won't take sides but, as I said, he speaks his mind. What more can I say?
Old Apr 12th 2008, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

I know all about his lifestyle from a couple of other forums.

As to the taunting well I won't take sides but, as I said, he speaks his mind. What more can I say?
Yes, but the point was, he wasn't moving back to the UK and therefore, was posting in the wrong place really for the sort of post he was making.

I imagine if you were in an unhappy state, a bloke flashing his cash isn't very tactful and he was basically saying returning to the UK (or not making a go of it) is failing when the people there are looking for support.

At then end of the day, the Mods warned him repeatedly so it's not even my opinion - you asked what had happened to him, now you know.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

mc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud of

While I never agree with rubbing one's lifestyle in someone's face, some people on that part of the forum need to be spoken to bluntly. Half of them talk as if they know everything and their opinions are fact and anyone encouraging someone to stop and think before moving back doesn't know what they're talking about and are extremely vicious about it. I mean anyone who decides to up and move their family because they miss sausage rolls and Tescos should be told to give it some more thought. They're also the first to accuse any partner who wants to stay of choosing a country over their family and won't dare hear of anyone suggesting that the one wanting to move back is also doing this.

So yeah, I agree with Mike, he was a bit pompous at times but he often said what needed to be said whether it was on that forum or with the lefties on here. I really think the mods should be as quick to keep an eye on those who throw around words like racist and bigot as they are as provocative as the likes of Howard, but of course it's not PC to censor the PC brigade.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mc_dub

I really think the mods should be as quick to keep an eye on those who throw around words like racist and bigot as they are as provocative as the likes of Howard, but of course it's not PC to censor the PC brigade.
I think the mods are ever vigilant and that is to their credit. There are occasions when it is fair game to call person a bigot/racist when it is blatantly obvious.

However, and this is the point I am trying to make here, in many cases comments made are more subtle and need more careful thought. Thus it is wrong to automatically assume bigotry or racism is the intent.

It is so facile to accuse!
Old Apr 12th 2008, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

mc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud of

There are occasions when it is fair game to call person a bigot/racist when it is blatantly obvious.

However, and this is the point I am trying to make here, in many cases comments made are more subtle and need more careful thought. Thus it is wrong to automatically assume bigotry or racism is the intent.

It is so facile to accuse!
Of course there are times when it is fair game, but not for expressing contrary opinion backed up by evidence just because it goes against the PC view and applies against a minority.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mc_dub
Of course there are times when it is fair game, but not for expressing contrary opinion backed up by evidence just because it goes against the PC view and applies against a minority.
My thought exactly.

I don't know if you kept track of, or even saw, this thread I had started but here is a perfect case at least in my view of some here getting annoyed at me becaue I suspect they were not really listening to what I had to say. Judge for yourself.

I stood my ground and will only change my opinion if I am proven wrong or if I myself later realise I was wrong.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=519477

Last edited by montreal mike; Apr 12th 2008 at 6:34 pm.