Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Car Loan versus Personal Loan

Car Loan versus Personal Loan

Old Apr 8th 2008, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

fruitbat1970 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Loan versus Personal Loan

My company is changing its Company car policy and insisting that we buy our own cars and then will be paid an allowance, ok in theory (well kind of) but it means an initial outlay...

In the Uk i would take a personal loan out in preference to a car loan, but here things may be slightly different so therefore i ask the following questions

1. car loan or personal loan- benefits, disadvantages
2. with either of these is it possible to pay it off quicker than the loan period (ie a monthly top up)

Thanks in anticipation
Old Apr 8th 2008, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Car Loan versus Personal Loan

Originally Posted by fruitbat1970
My company is changing its Company car policy and insisting that we buy our own cars and then will be paid an allowance, ok in theory (well kind of) but it means an initial outlay...

In the Uk i would take a personal loan out in preference to a car loan, but here things may be slightly different so therefore i ask the following questions

2. with either of these is it possible to pay it off quicker than the loan period (ie a monthly top up)

Thanks in anticipation
Not many people like the idea but HSBC do a PCP type scheme where you essentially offset an amount (usually 45% of the purchase price) for say 3 years. Ok you don't own the car outright but it depends if that really bothers you. The plus point is that you can get a MUCH better car for lower monthly rates. See this link...
http://www.mefco.hsbc.com/hsbc/hmef_...inancial-lease
Old Apr 8th 2008, 4:38 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks in anticipation
Why not buy a good quality used car from Al Futtaim Automall rather than a brand new one? The rate of depreciation will be much less.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 4:40 pm

Coxy the Bear is an unknown quantity at this point

I got excitedreading that...until I read the you must have 3 months bank statements bit. I've been looking to see if it's possible to do a PCP here, and thats the only one I've found. None of the dealers seem to entertain it.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

fruitbat1970 is an unknown quantity at this point

I wasnt planning on buying a new car,but more than likely a 4x4 as i currently have a company car and a very cheap jeep cherokee, however i am not keen to be commuting to dubai in that so decided that since i have to give up my company car then i should have something i can do both in (and i know there is lots of negative points to doing that) but i cannot justify owning 2 cars myself and i dont want to give up my weekend fun
Old Apr 8th 2008, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK i would take a personal loan out in preference to a car loan, but here things may be slightly different so therefore i ask the following questions

Thanks in anticipation
You can take a personal loan to buy your car - no problems.

Advantages:

You can buy a car with a nil down-payment.

Your car is not mortgaged - very useful in such cases: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=525235

Disadvantages:

Personal loans require a salary transfer letter. Your salary will have to be transferred to the bank (doesn't matter if you're taking a loan from the same bank where your salary is transferred)

Your company must be on the bank's approved list of companies (basically if you're working for a large company then you're ok)

Interest rates are typically higher - but you can negotiate.

If you prepay either loan early - they will sock you with pre-payment charges. I can give you tips to get around this
Old Apr 8th 2008, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Coxy the Bear
I got excitedreading that...until I read the you must have 3 months bank statements bit. I've been looking to see if it's possible to do a PCP here, and thats the only one I've found. None of the dealers seem to entertain it.
Why's that a problem? Don't you get payslips? Its what I'll be doing out there. Always done those types of deals....never saw the point of having a a straight up loan.

You can't buy a car till your a resident anyways can you?
Old Apr 8th 2008, 5:28 pm

Coxy the Bear is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CeeBee
Why's that a problem? Don't you get payslips? Its what I'll be doing out there. Always done those types of deals....never saw the point of having a a straight up loan.

You can't buy a car till your a resident anyways can you?
Yes, but you can't get a bank account till your a resident. Then if the finance is with another bank other than the one you bank with, you have to write the cheques for payments in advance. 48 months, 48 cheques.
I've been here 8 weeks, my bank account is just being sorted. If I wait until I've had 3 statements, I'm looking at buying a car in July/August, and quite frankly, I'm not waiting that long. Some of the banks will give you a cheaper rate than the PCP anyway, so it may not work out a lot cheaper.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but you can't get a bank account till your a resident. Then if the finance is with another bank other than the one you bank with, you have to write the cheques for payments in advance. 48 months, 48 cheques.
I've been here 8 weeks, my bank account is just being sorted. If I wait until I've had 3 statements, I'm looking at buying a car in July/August, and quite frankly, I'm not waiting that long. Some of the banks will give you a cheaper rate than the PCP anyway, so it may not work out a lot cheaper.
You can get a personal loan without a bank statement if you are new to Dubai.......

Send me a PM if you want more information.....
Old Apr 8th 2008, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieG
You can get a personal loan without a bank statement if you are new to Dubai.......

Send me a PM if you want more information.....
What's the best interest lane on personal loans these days??? (Only numbers,names could be sent to interested parties by PM).
Car loans are going down to 3.75% with many banks now...
Old Apr 8th 2008, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Confucius
What's the best interest lane on personal loans these days??? (Only numbers,names could be sent to interested parties by PM).
Car loans are going down to 3.75% with many banks now...
Depends on three factors - your employer, your salary and the amount.

Still rip off greeeeeeeedy rates - 9.49!
Old Apr 8th 2008, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

So they basically don't do Direct Debit over there?
I just thought it was 3 months before you can buy a car as thats what my mate in AD told me. So that means that...if I bank with say HSBC...I could be getting a car straight away...which would be miles better than having to drive a clapped out 'somethingorother'. What you lookin at getting?

Indie...what sort of interest rates do you reckon you'd pay? edit.......already answered...i'm far too slow

Last edited by CeeBee; Apr 8th 2008 at 5:50 pm. Reason: already answered
Old Apr 8th 2008, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieG
Depends on three factors - your employer, your salary and the amount.

Still rip off greeeeeeeedy rates - 9.49!
9.49 flat rate??? My colleague got a personal loan to buy a 20 yo car, I think the flat rate came to 5.5%...The amount was about 75K...
Old Apr 8th 2008, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by CeeBee
So they basically don't do Direct Debit over there?
I just thought it was 3 months before you can buy a car as thats what my mate in AD told me. So that means that...if I bank with say HSBC...I could be getting a car straight away...which would be miles better than having to drive a clapped out 'somethingorother'. What you lookin at getting?

Indie...what sort of interest rates do you reckon you'd pay? edit.......already answered...i'm far too slow
5 years ago, I bought my first bank financed car here, with only 2 months of bank statement...At the time, I've been in the country for 2 years already...Got my bank account in early 2003...I'm still old school...
Old Apr 8th 2008, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Confucius
9.49 flat rate??? My colleague got a personal loan to buy a 20 yo car, I think the flat rate came to 5.5%...The amount was about 75K...
Sorry - thought you were talking about personal loans...

Auto Loans - guess 3.5%

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.