Reload this Page >

cairns vs townsville

cairns vs townsville

Old Apr 7th 2008, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

smog73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default cairns vs townsville

Hi
I know i might start WW3 but any comments about cairns vs townsville.We were in townsville for 1 yr in 1998/1999 and are thinking about returning. Jobs may be easier to get in Cairns (im a gp and seems the best agency deal with all qld except Townsville-typical). We went to cairns for weekends all those yrs ago but obviously know townsville much better, so know we would enjoy it.Any comments would be helpful.
Also TR obviously quicker to get than PR but when in ox on TR how easy is it to then apply for PR (might be a really stupid question).
thanks
Old Apr 7th 2008, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of
Default Re: cairns vs townsville

Originally Posted by smog73
Hi
I know i might start WW3 but any comments about cairns vs townsville.We were in townsville for 1 yr in 1998/1999 and are thinking about returning. Jobs may be easier to get in Cairns (im a gp and seems the best agency deal with all qld except Townsville-typical). We went to cairns for weekends all those yrs ago but obviously know townsville much better, so know we would enjoy it.Any comments would be helpful.
Also TR obviously quicker to get than PR but when in ox on TR how easy is it to then apply for PR (might be a really stupid question).
thanks
Personally I prefer Townsville, but that's an incredibly tiny preference. I have never lived in either - only holidayed so this isn't a residents' pov.

Townsville had a slightly "larger" feel to it and I just loved the seafront. Cairns also absolutely stunning with a great seafront, but there was something missing for me.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

There must be some people with opinions/ideas comparing the 2. It has been 10yrs since we were there so any new developments in this time.any ideas helpful-i know they are all personal opinions but any help appriciated.thanks
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Hi
thanks
Green vs brown

Search the forum as the question has been asked before. Bix is a legend on Cairns and should be along any minute.....

Personally I prefer Cairns to Townsville.
WW
Old Apr 9th 2008, 11:13 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

This will give you a good idea of why I like Cairns.....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=cairns

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=cairns

We have still only scratched the surface.

It's got nearly everything we want and all within easy striking distance. We don't have to travel hundreds of miles to see diversity.

Plenty of variety in social activities as well as sports.
Plenty of free things to do.
Plenty of free things provided.
Scenery to die for.
Remarkable wildlife.
Hubble bubble of restuarants and nightlife yet only 15 minutes from peace and quiet.
Not a huge city with all the long commutes and baggage that tends to come with.
Laid back attitude of friendly people who believe life is for living as well as working.

Can't comment with too much experience on Townsville as have only stayed there for a holiday. You need to live somewhere to know it.

Main differences as I see it....

Cairns: Lush green wet tropics. Cosmopolitan. Holiday orientated. Transient. Limited port.

Townsville: Less green dry tropics. Working city / more industrialised. Working port. Expanding army base.

People living in TV will need to fill in the missing details of life there.

I could live in TV but prefer Cairns.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

mike-Ju will become famous soon enoughmike-Ju will become famous soon enough

I went to Townsville and Cairns in 1991, long time ago ! I loved both but if you put a gun to my head Id say Townsville, it was very small when I was there, smaller than Cairns and it had a lovely town type of feel to it, Cairns didnt it was more lively and touristy?

What ever floats your boat really
Old Apr 9th 2008, 11:21 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Just remembered this thread on Magnetic Island which sits just a 20 minute ferry ride from TV and IMO is breathtaking.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...light=magnetic

Please excuse the tiff I had with another poster on that thread
Old Apr 9th 2008, 11:26 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by mike-Ju
I went to Townsville and Cairns in 1991, long time ago ! I loved both but if you put a gun to my head Id say Townsville, it was very small when I was there, smaller than Cairns and it had a lovely town type of feel to it, Cairns didnt it was more lively and touristy?

What ever floats your boat really
I doubt you'd recognise either place now Mike.
TV is twice the size of Cairns and both continue to expand.

Just read this evening that the population of Cairns is about 135,000 and growing at the rate of 3.5%.

I reckon what you say is still true though.
TV is the more "stable and sedate" working town with Cairns very holiday motivated and transient.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for replies.
When making the choice is seems easier to go for tsv as we can picture ourselves living there like before but also feel that we would be comparing previous experiences (as in "it was better last time"-prob because we were 10yrs younger with no worries/ties/was only for 1 year etc). Maybe we need a change and from all the info Cairns is prob ideal!!
Just need to get my head around fact that if/when family become ill we wont be there and i would imagine 24hrs on a plane is a long time in an emergancy. (not helped by me being an only child-but not my fault!!!).
Old Apr 10th 2008, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

Hi
thanks

CAIRNS all the way, lush green landscape, barrier reef islands, a vibrant city, fantastic outdoor laggon, rainforest and waterfalls....not that I am biased..I am moving there tonight!!!!