Can u Claim VAT back?

Old Mar 16th 2008, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can u Claim VAT back?

If you go back to UK to Visit, can u claim the VAT back on anything you buy.... or is that just silly!?
Old Mar 16th 2008, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can u Claim VAT back?

I think you claim it back at the airport providing you have all the receipts. I am sure someone will give you more details.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 12:29 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony126
I think you claim it back at the airport providing you have all the receipts. I am sure someone will give you more details.
It used to be that way.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 8:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
It used to be that way.
and it would take soooo long for you to get it back, and it would be a pittance and in pound sterling, that it just isn't worth the hassle unless you buy something big and expensive...
Old Mar 16th 2008, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you can, and no you can't.

First, the store has to participate in tax free shopping. If they don't then you can't. If they do they may have a minimum spend, like 50 pounds.

If you qualify, you have to have them fill out a form and you will have to fill out some of it. You will need to find out where to send the form as well. Once you have the form, you go to the customs desk at the airport, give them the form, they stamp it and you send it to where the store tells you to. Once they have it they will give you a refund.

I've done it a few times and got a few hundred dollars back. Roughly speaking you will get about 14% of the price you pay as a refund after the store takes their cut (which is capped at 2 or 5 pounds) and it will be put on a credit card as a refund. On the form it will be broken out exactly what you will be getting back in pounds. Normally takes a couple of weeks. Worth doing in my opinion if you have a lot. Technically you need the receipts and the goods with you at the customs desk but each time I've done it they just stamp the form.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for replies... Don't think we'll spend enough to warrant the hassle of it. Its always worth asking the question though...
Old Mar 16th 2008, 11:36 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sambapink
If you go back to UK to Visit, can u claim the VAT back on anything you buy.... or is that just silly!?
yes you can. i don't bother if it's odds and sods but anything smallish and pretty expensive yes i have done it infact only in january i bought goods back however you have to carry them you cannot check them with your luggage. must tell the shopkeeper your intentions so they can complete a vat return receipt for you to take at the airport of departure.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 11:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
however you have to carry them you cannot check them with your luggage
Thats not true. If you go to the customs desk before you check in you can get the form approved and then check whatever you want.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 2:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Thats not true. If you go to the customs desk before you check in you can get the form approved and then check whatever you want.
At Manchester airport the customs office is after you go through security clearance...therefore it is not possible.

To the OP yes you can claim a percentage of the VAT back but only from participating stores...ie M & S, Debenhams, BHS. It is the store who pays the VAT it's not actually the government giving you a refund. IMHO it's not worth the hassle unless you are claiming for several hundred pounds or more. You should carry the items in your hand luggage...but that is not always feasible...in which case it is at the discretion of the customs officer. I fly from Manchester Airport and the customs office there is not open when I catch the flight departing around 10 am. There is a box to leave the VAT forms...it also means I don't have to show my purchases.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
At Manchester airport the customs office is after you go through security clearance...therefore it is not possible.
Well that would scupper going there before checking in. The times I've done it they don't care, they just looked at the form and stamped it. Getting money back is always worth doing, unless you miss the flight because of it!
Old Mar 17th 2008, 4:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Gatwick South terminal customs office has 2 sides - you can do it before checking in, if you've got something that needs inspecting; or wait until you've cleared security and go round the other side.

We went to the pre-security side with a watch for export, and they were having none of it, insisted we do it on the other side. I assume because it could be passed to a non-passenger, but then so could stuff in your not-yet-checked-in suitcase

Anyway, refund went straight to the credit card we used to pay for the watch, quick and easy
Old Mar 17th 2008, 5:14 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts

it is true in gatwick north terminal.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 5:15 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I fly from Manchester Airport and the customs office there is not open when I catch the flight departing around 10 am. There is a box to leave the VAT forms...it also means I don't have to show my purchases.
that's why i usually catch the early flight from gatwick