Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

SSN Problems and Port of Entry Error

SSN Problems and Port of Entry Error

Old Mar 10th 2008, 7:35 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute
Question SSN Problems and Port of Entry Error

Hi there,

I immigrated to the USA one month ago and have since received my Green Card (whoopee!) and welcome letter, etc., although I'm still waiting for my social security number to come through. I've been down to my local SSA office TWICE and both times they've told me that my Alien Registration Number is assigned to someone else, even though it's the same number on all my documentation, along with my photo and fingerprint.

I called Immigration, who told me to go to my local DHS office and sort it out there... which I did... and they told me that my number was fine and that the SSA is at fault. So today I went back to the SSA and once again they've told me my A-Number is wrong and there's nothing they can do unless I personally sort it out. They had no helpful advice on what to do next and couldn't even give me a phone number to call. I'm going round in circles!

What do I do now?!

I suspect (and the SSA and DHS both agree with me) that the Border Patrol guard incorrectly entered my A-Number at my point of entry, which affects the computer system the SSA uses. I tried getting in touch with both the Milwaukee and Chicago Border Patrol offices but all there is is an answer-phone and I'm beginning to panic. I can't do ANYTHING until my SSN arrives, such as getting on my apartment's lease, getting a bank account, obtaining a US drivers licence... getting a much-needed job... and I'm going mad. :curse:

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd really appreciate any helpful advice before I contact the Wisconsin Governor and yell at someone I probably shouldn't...

Thanks!
Old Mar 10th 2008, 7:37 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: SSN Problems and Port of Entry Error

Originally Posted by gingerert
Hi there,

I immigrated to the USA one month ago and have since received my Green Card (whoopee!) and welcome letter, etc., although I'm still waiting for my social security number to come through. I've been down to my local SSA office TWICE and both times they've told me that my Alien Registration Number is assigned to someone else, even though it's the same number on all my documentation, along with my photo and fingerprint.

I called Immigration, who told me to go to my local DHS office and sort it out there... which I did... and they told me that my number was fine and that the SSA is at fault. So today I went back to the SSA and once again they've told me my A-Number is wrong and there's nothing they can do unless I personally sort it out. They had no helpful advice on what to do next and couldn't even give me a phone number to call. I'm going round in circles!

What do I do now?!

I suspect (and the SSA and DHS both agree with me) that the Border Patrol guard incorrectly entered my A-Number at my point of entry, which affects the computer system the SSA uses. I tried getting in touch with both the Milwaukee and Chicago Border Patrol offices but all there is is an answer-phone and I'm beginning to panic. I can't do ANYTHING until my SSN arrives, such as getting on my apartment's lease, getting a bank account, obtaining a US drivers licence... getting a much-needed job... and I'm going mad. :curse:

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd really appreciate any helpful advice before I contact the Wisconsin Governor and yell at someone I probably shouldn't...

Thanks!
Hi:

Did you go back to the SAME social security office? If so, big mistake -- go to another one and apply there. If no satisfaction, go to local Congressional office.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 7:39 pm
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute

Ask to talk to the manager at the Social Security office. Insist to file an application and that any denial should be in writing. Give them no option other than accepting or denying your application. Then if they deny you can sue.

As was mentioned, the congressional office may be able to help too.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 7:48 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreamercon
Ask to talk to the manager at the Social Security office. Insist to file an application and that any denial should be in writing. Give them no option other than accepting or denying your application. Then if they deny you can sue.

As was mentioned, the congressional office may be able to help too.

I did make sure the SSA filed an application for me the first time I visited them, and when I went back today I demanded to see evidence they had submitted it. They had, so I asked why nothing had happened yet and they told me to "think in business weeks" instead of regular weeks (patrionising gits) and to "just wait". The thing is, I've been waiting for five weeks now and my frustration grows daily.

Thanks to both of you for suggesting the congressional office. Yelling at important people might work in this country so I will keep you updated.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 8:05 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

I did make sure the SSA filed an application for me the first time I visited them, and when I went back today I demanded to see evidence they had submitted it. They had, so I asked why nothing had happened yet and they told me to "think in business weeks" instead of regular weeks (patrionising gits) and to "just wait". The thing is, I've been waiting for five weeks now and my frustration grows daily.

Thanks to both of you for suggesting the congressional office. Yelling at important people might work in this country so I will keep you updated.
Hi:

I was serious about going to another office -- I've had clients do that.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 8:54 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

x

Last edited by meauxna; Mar 10th 2008 at 8:57 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure that it will help you, but the number they gave me to use for SSA was 1800-772-1213.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, in this case, what you want to do is to be nice to the important people and get the important people to yell at the SSA ..
Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't do ANYTHING until my SSN arrives, such as getting on my apartment's lease, getting a bank account, obtaining a US drivers licence... getting a much-needed job...
While you are in the process of sorting it all out.....

You don't need an SSN to get a driver's license or open a bank account. The personnel at the DMV or bank may say you do but they are wrong. Research the state DMV website and print out the proof to show them just in case....and as for opening a bank account without an SSN just search this forum, it's a common misconception.

Last edited by BritishGuy36; Mar 11th 2008 at 10:10 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:39 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36

You don't need an SSN to get a driver's license or open a bank account. The personnel at the DMV or bank may say you do but they are wrong. Research the state DMV website and print out the proof to show them just in case....and as for opening a bank account without an SSN just search this forum, it's a common misconception.
Regarding the DMV ..states vary their rules
some you will need lots of documentation
Old Mar 12th 2008, 2:20 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

What do I do now?!

SSA normally try to match your details up with DHS records. If that doesn't work, one option they do have (as far as I know) is to send the application off to a central office for manual processing.

But if the A number is wrong, you should probably get that fixed up on DHS records too, otherwise there might be other problems down the line.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 3:08 am
Ginger Monkey

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

I was serious about going to another office -- I've had clients do that.
Update:

I called the Border Patrol people again in Milwaukee and spoke to a friendly chap who told me to go and visit them in person tomorrow at the airport. Figures. So I'm heading there tomorrow morning and I can hopefully see what the heck's gone wrong and we can fix it asap. Then I can go back to the SSA brandishing some new official-looking paperwork and wave it in someone's face until they give me my SSN. If the local office still can't help I'm going to another one.

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.

Keep your fingers crossed for tomorrow...!
Old Mar 12th 2008, 7:16 pm
Ginger Monkey

Angry Re: SSN Problems and Port of Entry Error

Update:

I went to see the Border Patrol people and they were VERY helpful and friendly. I recommend using them if anyone else finds themselves in a similar position. This is what I found out:

My A-Number has someone else's name attached to it... but not completely. A man's name J... G... and nationality (Mexican) has somehow wound up on my card, although my middle name R..., parents' names, date of birth, address and all other details belong to me. I am flabbergasted! How in WORLD did some random bloke's name and nationality appear on my file?! At first I was afraid that someone was stealing my identity (he wouldn't get very far, what with me being a red-headed female and about as far away from being Hispanic looking as you can be), but the Border Officers told me that this wouldn't be possible and that it must have just been a data entry error. They advised me to go back to USCIS and get them to look at the right screen this time (went once before; was told everything was hunky-dory) and have them change it there and then.

So, I phoned up USCIS this afternoon and was told they'd never heard of this happening before. After being "escalated to the next level, ma'am" I spoke to a rep who read my file and told me... to go back to the Milwaukee Field Office. Where I went before. Where I was told all was well.

I flipped.

I fumed. I yelled. I used *minor* swear words. I seethed down the phone at the poor rep and after several seconds of them apologising profusely I now have an appointment "at my earliest convenience" at the DHS next week and I am going to once again go mad at the officer there because: 1. This is their fault. 2. I have been to see them once before and was assured my card was correct when CLEARLY it wasn't. 3. My life is STILL on hold as a result of a string of failures in the system, and no-one seems to give a crap.

I will keep you posted. :curse:
Old Mar 13th 2008, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, you do need a SSN *or* a letter saying you're not eligible for one in PA to get a state ID or driver's license. I have the printout with my number on it from SSA (waiting for the actual card in the mail) and that is not sufficient for them... doh.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

Many states are tightening the process or making it more difficult without a SSN (but not impossible - and may need some escalation to supervisor level). In MA then a SSN is the usual requirement (of a number of documents - see below) for a driving license - but a passport is a suitable alternative (see (1) below). To quote from the driver's manual:
You must produce at least four documents to apply for a permit, license, or ID. These documents will be used to confirm your identity, date of birth, Massachusetts residence, and signature.
The required documents include:
(1) Your Social Security Card or a current US or non-US Passport
(2) A document proving your date of birth
(3) A document proving you are a resident of Massachusetts
(4) A pre-existing document containing your signature

However (also from the manual):
Massachusetts law does not authorize driver's licenses to be issued for the convenience of business persons or tourists from other countries.
To obtain a license, you must meet all the requirements for a driver's license under the law, including the requirement that you be a resident of Massachusetts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.