Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney CBD Thursday Evening Drinks 13/03/08

Sydney CBD Thursday Evening Drinks 13/03/08

Old Mar 10th 2008, 1:29 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sydney CBD Thursday Evening Drinks 13/03/08

I've re-posted this, so that the date in the main screen is now correct. Hopefully you will have found your way here via the link from the last thread.

So after last time's disastrous outing to the Phil Spector ridden Southern whatever pub, I thought that I would post a bit earlier this time, to give more people time to get involved.

Suggestions have been made that we head to The Rocks, and try out a couple of, as yet, undiscovered watering holes. Options include:

The Observer
The Bavarian Beer place
The Glenmore
The Fortune of War
The Century Tavern
The Red Oak

So let's get some debate going, and we could also do with developing a simple, yet foolproof method for newcomers to identify the group with!

S
Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

vix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to all
Default Re: Sydney CBD Thursday Evening Drinks 13/03/08

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I've re-posted this, so that the date in the main screen is now correct. Hopefully you will have found your way here via the link from the last thread.

So after last time's disastrous outing to the Phil Spector ridden Southern whatever pub, I thought that I would post a bit earlier this time, to give more people time to get involved.

Suggestions have been made that we head to The Rocks, and try out a couple of, as yet, undiscovered watering holes. Options include:

The Observer
The Bavarian Beer place
The Glenmore
The Fortune of War
The Century Tavern
The Red Oak

So let's get some debate going, and we could also do with developing a simple, yet foolproof method for newcomers to identify the group with!

S

Well - there is not much going on the thread this week...

As we have already been to the bavarian beer place on york street recently i am going to suggest the red oak - looks a bit different, and a little better quality than the last couple of places we have ventured to....

i will also have a browse round the shops tomorrow to find something to stick on the table that will help newbies to find us... i hope last weeks debarcle didnt put you off...
Old Mar 11th 2008, 11:08 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vix77
Well - there is not much going on the thread this week...

As we have already been to the bavarian beer place on york street recently i am going to suggest the red oak - looks a bit different, and a little better quality than the last couple of places we have ventured to....

i will also have a browse round the shops tomorrow to find something to stick on the table that will help newbies to find us... i hope last weeks debarcle didnt put you off...

The Red Oak is ok, but it is a restaurant with a bar licence not the other way around. If you want to eat anything more than the tiny selection of bar nibbles, then you have to sit down in the restaurant part, and you can only do that if you have a reservation. We have come unstuck there in the past.

S
Old Mar 11th 2008, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

vix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to all

The Red Oak is ok, but it is a restaurant with a bar licence not the other way around. If you want to eat anything more than the tiny selection of bar nibbles, then you have to sit down in the restaurant part, and you can only do that if you have a reservation. We have come unstuck there in the past.

S
boo to restaurants with bars.... maybe we should do the bavaraian beer cafe in the rocks as we have done the york st one? although we will have to have a clear plan as to where we are cos it is a series of tunnels in that place... ok maybe that is a bad idea... century tavern?
Old Mar 12th 2008, 12:01 am
has lost The Game

boo to restaurants with bars.... maybe we should do the bavaraian beer cafe in the rocks as we have done the york st one? although we will have to have a clear plan as to where we are cos it is a series of tunnels in that place... ok maybe that is a bad idea... century tavern?

Argh! So much choice! The Century Tavern has just be refitted apparently, and is now called Bar Century. Apparently it has lost most of its charm and you have to walk through the vast pokie room before you reach the bar.

I like the idea of the Bavarian beer cafe in The Rocks myself. I don't think we have been there as a group yet...

S
Old Mar 12th 2008, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Argh! So much choice! The Century Tavern has just be refitted apparently, and is now called Bar Century. Apparently it has lost most of its charm and you have to walk through the vast pokie room before you reach the bar.

I like the idea of the Bavarian beer cafe in The Rocks myself. I don't think we have been there as a group yet...

S
well as it appears to just be us - lets go there
Old Mar 12th 2008, 12:38 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

well as it appears to just be us - lets go there
Are you the one that likes Indi?

I'm still hunting for Goldfrapp.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz

I am indeed - i almost broke my computer trying to email the songs to you... looks like you are going to have to bite the bullet and get it from cdwow.com
Old Mar 12th 2008, 5:32 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

I am indeed - i almost broke my computer trying to email the songs to you... looks like you are going to have to bite the bullet and get it from cdwow.com
Thanks. soz about the comp, thanks for trying
Old Mar 12th 2008, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Indieboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Right you wouldn't believe the b*stard trouble i have had getting onto this thing, I've tried for yonks and even gave up for a bit. Been reading the thread for a while though and looked like a fun group. Even tried to come to a meet up once but had a half day shift and was so wrecked by seven i went to the wrong pub and joined a bunch of strangers and kept saying expats at them to odd looks.

Anyway I digress, been over here since November and loving it. Music scene needs a kick up the arse but the ladies are lovely, more so in the hot weather got to love the beach! I am missing the English sense of humor and drinking habits, what the hell is a schooner anyway?

I don't know where this Beer Cafe in the rocks is so if you can let me know then I shall make it this time for sure. Can't say what i will be wearing yet as it depends on what looks the least crumpled on my bedroom floor, but as my user name suggests i doubt you could miss me and my messy hair. Hopefully meet some of you tomorrow.

Cheers
Old Mar 12th 2008, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Bats1 has a spectacular aura aboutBats1 has a spectacular aura aboutBats1 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz

OK, I'm willing to come and try and find you guys again ... especially as I know where the Bavarian Beer bar is in the Rocks and it's not some scary sh*thole up near Central with aggressive Aussie women who don't like being told they don't speak English ... like what we do! I have an St George flag so maybe I should come in waving it ...at least you'd be able to spot me! Will let you know tomorrow if I'm going to drag myself away from my marvellous job early and partake of a beer.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Indieboy
Right you wouldn't believe the b*stard trouble i have had getting onto this thing, I've tried for yonks and even gave up for a bit. Been reading the thread for a while though and looked like a fun group. Even tried to come to a meet up once but had a half day shift and was so wrecked by seven i went to the wrong pub and joined a bunch of strangers and kept saying expats at them to odd looks.

Anyway I digress, been over here since November and loving it. Music scene needs a kick up the arse but the ladies are lovely, more so in the hot weather got to love the beach! I am missing the English sense of humor and drinking habits, what the hell is a schooner anyway?

I don't know where this Beer Cafe in the rocks is so if you can let me know then I shall make it this time for sure. Can't say what i will be wearing yet as it depends on what looks the least crumpled on my bedroom floor, but as my user name suggests i doubt you could miss me and my messy hair. Hopefully meet some of you tomorrow.

Cheers
Glad to see you are persisting in venturing out with us... and don't give up on the music scene yet, it is out there - you just need to know where to look! sounds like you will benefit from the Britpop night we go to.. the next one is coming up soon.
anyways... the beer cafe is on o'connell street just off pitt street
http://www.whereis.com/whereis/confi...do?nref=getMap

We will hopefully have something to set us aside from the rest of them - other than our wit and charm that is... as soon as we work out what it is we will post it before 5pm.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers for the info, link doesn't work but i'm sure i will sniff it out. I never give up on a good night out where beer is involved. Knowing the strength of some of those beers those trapist monks must have been wasted the whole time drinking for jesus.

I wont give up on the music I just miss the London scene. I thought sh*t dance music and hair metal had gone out of fashion years ago? I have ventured to a few Brit pop events since getting here. There was one somewhere on Oxford street that wasn't bad and i went to one in November by Central which was ok the music just turned cr*p very quickly. So point me in the right direction.

Any clues what people look like as i have another early finish and don't want to join a bunch of Japanesse tourists just because one has a union jack t-shirt on.

Anyway back to some work, if i don't enter these number then, well no one will notice i doubt!
Old Mar 12th 2008, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Indieboy
Cheers for the info, link doesn't work but i'm sure i will sniff it out. I never give up on a good night out where beer is involved. Knowing the strength of some of those beers those trapist monks must have been wasted the whole time drinking for jesus.

I wont give up on the music I just miss the London scene. I thought sh*t dance music and hair metal had gone out of fashion years ago? I have ventured to a few Brit pop events since getting here. There was one somewhere on Oxford street that wasn't bad and i went to one in November by Central which was ok the music just turned cr*p very quickly. So point me in the right direction.

Any clues what people look like as i have another early finish and don't want to join a bunch of Japanesse tourists just because one has a union jack t-shirt on.

Anyway back to some work, if i don't enter these number then, well no one will notice i doubt!

bloody links... if you want a truely useless map then go to http://www.bavarianbiercafe.com.au/ and select the o'connell street venue...

sydney will never come close to the london music scene, i still get jealous of hearing about all the gigs my friends back there are still going to... oh well! at least Ian Brown is here next week...

Not sure who is out tonight yet but i will be there from 6.30pm and am usually the first to arrive so you could look out for a billy no mates with a black dress and distinctive multicoloured stripey shoes...

Go in through the entrance by the people sat outside and we will linger around there if there is space....
Old Mar 12th 2008, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

Now that's a better site, i'm on it. Looks a big old place with toilets decorated like a tarts bedroom, and I like the picture of the girl fake laughing with the two dull people in suits.

I'm bang up for Ian Brown haven't seen the monkey faced chap since the hey day and there seems to be a good run of bands coming over soon so time to max out the credit card.

Well i will be in a pub from 3, so might head there early. I will either be the drunk fella at the bar with a Killers T-shirt on, or the one looking at everyones feet for the techicolour dream shoes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.