Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Caught on the hop!

Caught on the hop!

Old Mar 8th 2008, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Caught on the hop!

I decided to be bold and sent an email to Otago DHB with my CV attached making a general enquiry re a job. I explained that we are the early stages of the process and that I had sent off my stuff to the Nursing Council in NZ. This was about 1430hrs. That night I received a call at 1900hrs from their manager in adult mental health saying they had been passed my email by the vacancies team!!! I chatted to him for about 10 mins and he said that the charge nurse for a unit he thought I would be best suited for would be in touch. Bu***r me did she not call 45mins later. We had a great chat and 30 minutes later I came off the phone feeling like I had been I'd been hit with the train of reality setting in that this was all starting to become real. I sent an email thanking them for being in touch,that we were going for PR via SMC and asked that once I had received my stuff from the Nursing Council could I get in touch again re a job and asking for info on how to apply,what the interview procedure would be,how long they would hold a job for etc. That was 3 days ago and I have had no reply Do you think that they are not willing to wait for the SMC leading to PR to go through? Or are they waiting until I get back to them? Don't know what to think. Any advice or anyone been in the same position?

Phyllis
Old Mar 8th 2008, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

dave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud of
Default Re: Caught on the hop!

My friend was interviewed for a midwifery job via the phone for Welly june 07, and have kept open her post. She was suppose to go after house sale, finally sold and she thought would be out for April but house fallen through.

She rang them to say not sure when I will be coming again they said dont worry.

I think with some jobs in the health service in NZ they need experienced staff and have a lot of vacant post so when experienced staff show up they don't waste time securing them. They are covering her first weeks accommodation on arrival and a few other little perks... So would'nt worry bet they will wait!! Good Luck lisa x
Old Mar 9th 2008, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

This really does show the state of the NZ healthcare system and the huge shortages of nurses and midwives. Wellington has had particular issues with recruiting midwives, and every DHB has nurse vacancies. As a UK trained RMN, you will have no problems finding a job in NZ. Take your time and take you pick.

Cheers and good luck with the move.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 7:39 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Take your time and take your pick is indeed good advice. My oh is a RMN and we had the choice of literally *any* area. This meant we could avoid the usual suspects and go for somewhere cheaper and less populated. We choose Hawkes Bay and got the awesome climate and deserted beaches too
Old Mar 9th 2008, 9:09 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Take your time and take your pick is indeed good advice.
However, if as I think, you are keen on Dunedin, then your choice of employers is well....one. And that employer is obvious keen, so thats good then....
Old Mar 9th 2008, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
However, if as I think, you are keen on Dunedin, then your choice of employers is well....one. And that employer is obvious keen, so thats good then....
Hi Southerner

My choice is indeed Dunedin area as have friends there

All who replied

Thanks for the advice,encouraging to hear that they are likely to wait.

Phyllis
Old Mar 9th 2008, 8:02 pm
AKA New Nurse

nearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant future

hey, just pm'd you back
Old Mar 9th 2008, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

welshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to all

Mrs Welsh Wales was offered a job at Tauranga hospital in Feb, We got a message from them last week saying if she is not there to start work on the 5th of May she looses her job. We made some more enquiries through another midwife we know and the answer was that hospitals can now start to be choosey because of the number of british nurses and midwives going over to nz to work. We know that Tauranga hospital is turning british nurses and midwives away now as there are no vacancies,It wont be long before all hospitals in nz are like this so get in while you can...
Old Mar 18th 2008, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Quick update

Had an email from the Charge Nurse I spoke to saying that after our phone call she spoke to her manager ( whom I also spoke to ) and if I filled in the application form that was attached they would do an interview over the phone. They are prepared to wait for my paperwork from the Nursing Council and once they have checked references

" we can get the ball rolling for you once
we get them back. This helps secure you a job & the immigration stuff
once your references check out so it saves you wondering if you've
secured a position or not."

it appears that I have a job waiting for me! What do you think?

Phyllis
Old Mar 18th 2008, 8:02 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

I would say if you are confident in your ability (and why wouldn't you be with your background) then you should have yourself a job offer fairly soon.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 9:02 pm
AKA New Nurse

nearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant futurenearly nurse has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by weejie
Quick update

Had an email from the Charge Nurse I spoke to saying that after our phone call she spoke to her manager ( whom I also spoke to ) and if I filled in the application form that was attached they would do an interview over the phone. They are prepared to wait for my paperwork from the Nursing Council and once they have checked references

" we can get the ball rolling for you once
we get them back. This helps secure you a job & the immigration stuff
once your references check out so it saves you wondering if you've
secured a position or not."

it appears that I have a job waiting for me! What do you think?

Phyllis
Oh well done you!
Have you said yes yet??

Old Mar 19th 2008, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just received this from a friend who worked there!!!

If you apply to the under 65's, you get a relocation package. If you apply to the over 65's, you don't!!! That's why XXXX is so keen. They are nurse managers,& control their own budget! She is short staffed & under pressure! If you are dealing with XXXX, MAKE SURE you stipulate the hours you want. The rostas in that ward are shocking & cos a lot of ill feeling. There are also rest homes you would get work in for a slightly lower hourly rate, so don't worry re. getting work!!!

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
This really does show the state of the NZ healthcare system and the huge shortages of nurses and midwives. Wellington has had particular issues with recruiting midwives, and every DHB has nurse vacancies. As a UK trained RMN, you will have no problems finding a job in NZ. Take your time and take you pick.

Cheers and good luck with the move.
Looks like the above advice is spot on. Looks like I will need to do some more work on finding a job.

Phyllis