Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Too good to be true?

Too good to be true?

Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to behold
Default Too good to be true?

I have just received a call from an Internation Recruitment Co. in Adelaide, she has got DH's CV from a job he applied for on Seek.

She was saying normally they would have sponsored him and paid for our relocation, but we are too far on for that now :curse: as we are awaiting CO. Anyway she has a job for Dh to walk into, has offered help with rental, schools, will arrange meet and greet etc when we get there yadda yadda yadda .....which all sounds great!! She said she lived near us in Essex for 10 years so was excited to take us on.

So why do I feel cautious? you know that saying if it seems to good to be true it probably is....??
Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:15 pm
Handsome Internet Guy

Icarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Too good to be true?

Originally Posted by Gonnago
I have just received a call from an Internation Recruitment Co. in Adelaide, she has got DH's CV from a job he applied for on Seek.

She was saying normally they would have sponsored him and paid for our relocation, but we are too far on for that now :curse: as we are awaiting CO. Anyway she has a job for Dh to walk into, has offered help with rental, schools, will arrange meet and greet etc when we get there yadda yadda yadda .....which all sounds great!! She said she lived near us in Essex for 10 years so was excited to take us on.

So why do I feel cautious? you know that saying if it seems to good to be true it probably is....??
I think i'd feel the same Hayley , its normal to . Agents are agents be it EA or Recruitment ... they talk the talk .

Its good tho , positive step
Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Sometimes it can be straight up. I got a call out of the blue offering me a job in Sydney, relocation etc and we've now been in Australia almost two years. If they're prepared to put it on paper then it's probably ok.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

Take comfort in the positive!!!

My OH used an agency and they helped with job & offered to help with rentals, schools etc if we had needed it and they were genuine.

As brits you find it difficult to believe that some people are willing to help simply because they are nice people but the aussies are really that genuine

IMHO.

I thought they were being a bit false at first but they arent. Its us brits that are so used to being taken for a ride we take a while to get used to 'the aussie way!!!'
Old Feb 25th 2008, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to behold

Great thanks. Just what I wanted to hear...dont get me wrong she sounded really genuine and was really friendly, she has lived here in Essex for a long while and lives in the area of Adelaide where we are looking to go and our kids are same age so it is nice to have some roots if you like...her words not me being presumptious.

I hate being suspicious of people but at the same time I like to be on the ball.

Should put a smile on Dhs face knowing there is work there for him, one less thing to worry about.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 11:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Great thanks. Just what I wanted to hear...dont get me wrong she sounded really genuine and was really friendly, she has lived here in Essex for a long while and lives in the area of Adelaide where we are looking to go and our kids are same age so it is nice to have some roots if you like...her words not me being presumptious.

I hate being suspicious of people but at the same time I like to be on the ball.

Should put a smile on Dhs face knowing there is work there for him, one less thing to worry about.
Sounds fantastic! You are right to be cautious, as others say, get the job offer and contract and offer of help in writing. That way, you know it's for real. BethandAndrew have just got a similar deal to Cairns - so it can happen.

Good luck Hayles - fingers crossed it works for you!!!
Old Feb 25th 2008, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fly Away
Sounds fantastic! You are right to be cautious, as others say, get the job offer and contract and offer of help in writing. That way, you know it's for real. BethandAndrew have just got a similar deal to Cairns - so it can happen.

Good luck Hayles - fingers crossed it works for you!!!
When we went for our reccie to Adelaide OH was offered a job on the spot, but we were there only for 3 weeks & had to be back & sell the house, came back after 6 months, the job was gone, OH was unable to secure job for 6 months, we had to do interstate move, so lets hope your OH employers are willing to wait for you guys.
Think about it in positive way rather than in negative way, good luck, keeping my finger cross for you guys.

P.S. Nicole your smilie looks dead cool, how is your house selling going on hun.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 12:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
When we went for our reccie to Adelaide OH was offered a job on the spot, but we were there only for 3 weeks & had to be back & sell the house, came back after 6 months, the job was gone, OH was unable to secure job for 6 months, we had to do interstate move, so lets hope your OH employers are willing to wait for you guys.
Think about it in positive way rather than in negative way, good luck, keeping my finger cross for you guys.

P.S. Nicole your smilie looks dead cool, how is your house selling going on hun.
Will send you a PM Farideh - rather than hijack Hayles thread!
Old Feb 26th 2008, 12:10 am
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a great opportunity to me & yes, I can completely understand that old British Reserve kicking in. But you know, I've travelled all over the place & there are some great, genuine people out there who do sincerely just want to offer a helping hand

And of course, if they can get you over there & settled, you're more likely to stay & they'll get a bit of commission from whoever employs your OH - so it's all good.

Get it down in writing though, that's only sensible, coz you do have your own interests & maybe kids to think of.

Very best of luck
Old Feb 26th 2008, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

Scarlett1 is just really niceScarlett1 is just really niceScarlett1 is just really niceScarlett1 is just really niceScarlett1 is just really niceScarlett1 is just really niceScarlett1 is just really niceScarlett1 is just really nice

Fingers crossed gonnago that you get something out of it, can I ask what agency it is as im re-doing my cv and want to pimp myself out after (pm will do if you dont want to put it on here)
Old Feb 26th 2008, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

cant remember name of it, she is sending me an email so will let you know when I know

Where are you in Essex scarlett? I have prob asked you that already but dont remember.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 7:18 am
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by justsarah
Take comfort in the positive!!!

My OH used an agency and they helped with job & offered to help with rentals, schools etc if we had needed it and they were genuine.

As brits you find it difficult to believe that some people are willing to help simply because they are nice people but the aussies are really that genuine

IMHO.

I thought they were being a bit false at first but they arent. Its us brits that are so used to being taken for a ride we take a while to get used to 'the aussie way!!!'