Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Baggage allowance???

Baggage allowance???

Old Feb 10th 2008, 5:19 am

Tan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Baggage allowance???

Desperately trying to avoid going via LAX with Air NZ but baggage allowance great!!!!!!!!!

Air NZ only give excess baggage this way...regardless if emigrating. At least that's what they told me.

Does anyone have experience of getting extra baggage allowance with the other airlines?

Particularly singapore who have a great fare and flight times available for the taking when we're looking to go.

If not...how much did excess set you back?

Thanks
Old Feb 10th 2008, 5:39 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baggage allowance???

Hi
We went to all the airlines before we booked our flight and unfortunatly Air New Zealand were the only one's we found that did double the allowance via L.A.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 5:44 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tan0410
Desperately trying to avoid going via LAX with Air NZ but baggage allowance great!
I agree, LAX is a craptacular airport with a seeming policy of hiring anti-social misfits as ground staff.

Have you considered flying via San Francisco or Vancouver? I believe Air New Zealand fly out of those West Coast airports as well. Perhaps you could get a cheapie flight to SFO or YVR and avoid LAX and still get the baggage allowance.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 6:12 am

Tan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the responses

Did you guys choose to go via LA or go with less baggage?

To go through LAX now you either have to have a biometric passport or a visa!

Tan
Old Feb 10th 2008, 6:18 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tan0410
Thanks for the responses

Did you guys choose to go via LA or go with less baggage?

To go through LAX now you either have to have a biometric passport or a visa!

Tan
I guess then you have to weigh up the cost of excess baggage v. the hassle of transiting through the US. Up to you.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Never again............

I have vowed never to go via LAX/USA ever again.

On my last journey I saw these right wing fascist type ground staff in the guise of security literally doing a strip search in a corridor of an elderly lady in a wheelchair, presumably in their tunnel vision eyes she appeared to be a terrorist or perhaps she was just a soft target!

In the audacity of it all I was welcomed to the USA by a customs clerk with a begrudging 'Welcome to the USA'.

Such a shallow and somewhat pathetic example of a paranoid and deluded security system out of control.

NG
Old Feb 10th 2008, 6:34 am
Banned

pascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nice

I passed through LAX on my way back here last time purely for the extra luggage factor, and the airport itself IS dire.

However, you could possibly do what I did and spend a couple of nights at a flashy hotel near the airport. I actually enjoyed LA, and it was great to break up the journey.

And I also passed through passport control at the airport with Gordon Ramsey and Tim Robbins who I had a nice chat with!
Old Feb 10th 2008, 6:36 am

Gordon Ramsey doesn't impact on my decision... but Tim Robbins might!
Old Feb 10th 2008, 6:40 am
Banned

pascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nice

Well, he was with his lovely wife and family and on good form.

Tim Robbins seemed cool too.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute

We went via LA and yep I agree with all said but it was worth it for the extra luggage. Not so funny however, trying to fit 8 suitcases plus hand luggage, 2 adults, 2 kids into a Rav 4.
We also stayed in LA for a couple of nights at a flashy hotel. The hotel was great but we really didn`t like LA so were glad to leave.

Good luck with your descision
Ash
Old Feb 10th 2008, 6:56 am

Default Re: Never again............

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
In the audacity of it all I was welcomed to the USA by a customs clerk with a begrudging 'Welcome to the USA'.
Last year, about this time actually, I travelled back to the US for a bit of work. I too was welcomed to the States by a grumpy old immigration cow who glanced at my passport and demanded to see my visa. I pointed out that it was a USA passport with my likeness on the inside cover. She glanced again at my passport and muttered, 'oh, it's been a long day.' and handed me back my passport.

Old Feb 10th 2008, 7:02 am

What we do have are friends on the BOP who can store some stuff in garage. Would that have swayed anyone's decision if they had the option to send some stuff in advance?
Old Feb 10th 2008, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

OzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really nice

we flew via LA and AUckland from London Heathrow to Brissie 3 years ago! USed Air NZ,

If u r going "straigt thru" there is bugger all wrong with LAX as all you are doing is walking thru immigration and getting back on a plane. Baggage worth it as we got 2 bags each at 32kg per bag so 64kg PER PERSON and that is standard baggage!

Its as hard as u make it! If u listen to posts like this you will be pissed off before you get there and LAX will seem a hassle because of what you have read! Look for positives not negatives and you will be fine! Id recommend USA way round anytime!
Old Feb 10th 2008, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by OzJo
Its as hard as u make it!
True, that. However, the annoyances can be blown out of proportion and can make for delightful dining room 'war' stories.

Old Feb 10th 2008, 7:16 am

Should add that we flew via LAX in 2005 so have been there already...hence the desire to not do it again :curse:

The theory that you walk off the plane and back on again was sadly certainly not our experience. We queued in a corridor for an hour with no access to facilities and then sat in a transit lounge (with nothing but a coffee machine) for what seemed like an eternity. Not something I can imagine doing again with a 7 month old and a 22 month old in the middle of the night. Should add that the 22 month old is an apaklling sleeper at the best of times

All viewpoints very much appereciated though so keep 'em coming!

Tan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.