Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Relocating in April - Lots of Questions - Help Required!

Relocating in April - Lots of Questions - Help Required!

Old Jan 23rd 2008, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

angelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to all
Default Relocating in April - Lots of Questions - Help Required!

Hi I am relocating to Dubai in April. I am a UK lawyer and an international law firm has offered me a position out there. They will pay £5000 relocation costs and will give me an interest free loan to help towards housing, although I will not get an allowance as such. I will get life and health insurance and 25 days annual leave. They are paying me 500,000 AED per annum. I have a few questions:

1.Is this a decent package?
2.Will I be able to afford a 2 bed apartment in JBR with this kind of money?
3.What other costs are there e.g. i read about municipal tax of 5% of the rent
4.What should I expect to pay in terms of gas electricity water? Are there any other costs I should be aware of?
5. My place of work is Emaar Business Park on Sheik Zayed Road - what is the travelling time in rush hour from JBR to work?
6.As I will most likely need a furnished apartment, will it be easy to find furniture etc?
7.I am finding it difficult to find an apartment from here and have been advised that it is better to start looking closer to the time i move, how quickly could i find an apartment in JBR?
8. I am moving with my husband although he has yet to find a job. He is an architect, is it likely that he will find something at least before we go?
9. We are visiting in February for a week or so, is there anything i should make sure i do when i visit to prepare me for the move?

I know these are a lot of questions, even if i get an answer to only one or two of them I will be grateful.

Many thanks

A
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Relocating in April - Lots of Questions - Help Required!

Two of the best websites for Dubai property below. I am using them for my current search for a place to live:

http://www.dubizzle.com/main

http://www.expatriates.com/classifie...singavailable//DubaiProperty/
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angelynv
Hi I am relocating to Dubai in April. I am a UK lawyer and an international law firm has offered me a position out there. They will pay £5000 relocation costs and will give me an interest free loan to help towards housing, although I will not get an allowance as such. I will get life and health insurance and 25 days annual leave. They are paying me 500,000 AED per annum. I have a few questions:

4.What should I expect to pay in terms of gas electricity water? Are there any other costs I should be aware of?
5. My place of work is Emaar Business Park on Sheik Zayed Road - what is the travelling time in rush hour from JBR to work?
6.As I will most likely need a furnished apartment, will it be easy to find furniture etc?
7.I am finding it difficult to find an apartment from here and have been advised that it is better to start looking closer to the time i move, how quickly could i find an apartment in JBR?
8. I am moving with my husband although he has yet to find a job. He is an architect, is it likely that he will find something at least before we go?
9. We are visiting in February for a week or so, is there anything i should make sure i do when i visit to prepare me for the move?

I know these are a lot of questions, even if i get an answer to only one or two of them I will be grateful.

Many thanks

A
make sure your holidays are working days nor calander days. otherwise they count the weekend during you holidays as part of your allowance.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

angelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to all

yep its working days not calendar days.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

thanks for those sites for property - ill definately have a look. on another site i was told that household expenses look something like this:

rent
utilities 1000 aed per month
5% commission to agents flat fee
5% municipal tax
1000 AED deposit
and then furnishing the place with cheap stuff from ikea will probably be around £1000 ish..

puts things into perspective..
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really nice

I would say so, esp if your husband was to be working also. But, I have no experience of what salaries are in your area of work. Check up on other items in the package; medical/dental/flights home etc

A 2-bed apartment will be around 170k AED per year to rent, so you have plenty for this I would think.

Water & Electricity, you may have air conditioning fees also - not sure about JBR for that though. Not hear of municipality charge?

Not been able to register with DEWA yet as still waiting for our Sales agreement from Nakheel so can't comment on costs (sorry!)

JBR is not far from Emaar Business Park at all - maybe 5 to 10 mins drive depending on traffic I guess?

LOADS of furniture shops. Shopping Festival starts 24 Jan through to end of Feb, so lots of sales on the go.

There is a high turnover of rental properties here (and resale properties) so best to look nearer the time. Have a look on www.bhomes.com for more ideas though

If he gets registered with some agencies he might get something before you arrive; there is a link at the top of this forum with agency websites. Be prepared to chase then though rather than have them provide you with stuff!

You could try and arrange viewings for properties through bhomes for ideas, but other than that, I can't think of anything in particular.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

thanks for those sites for property - ill definately have a look. on another site i was told that household expenses look something like this:

rent
utilities 1000 aed per month
5% commission to agents flat fee
5% municipal tax
1000 AED deposit
and then furnishing the place with cheap stuff from ikea will probably be around £1000 ish..

puts things into perspective..
One thing fairly unique to Dubai is that you may have to pay the whole year's rent in advance. Or else pay more than the quoted rent for the luxury of paying in only 2 or 3 installments, unless the ad says this will be OK.

I think your utility estimate for a flat is a little high, and the deposit maybe more like AED5,000. Also a utility deposit is needed, allow AED1,500

Furnishing: You usually get a kitchen with the 'white' goods. But have you allowed for TV/Stereo/DVD etc in your GBP1,000 estimate? This is a little low.

What about transport? Will you have to find a vehicle from your package?

I think for living, one bedroom JMR plus one vehicle, your package will be OK, but it will be a lot more comfortable, and 2 bedrooms/2 vehicles if your other half is earning too.

Dubai always seems to find a way of charging a little extra here and a little extra there.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy
One thing fairly unique to Dubai is that you may have to pay the whole year's rent in advance. Or else pay more than the quoted rent for the luxury of paying in only 2 or 3 installments, unless the ad says this will be OK.

I think your utility estimate for a flat is a little high, and the deposit maybe more like AED5,000. Also a utility deposit is needed, allow AED1,500

Furnishing: You usually get a kitchen with the 'white' goods. But have you allowed for TV/Stereo/DVD etc in your GBP1,000 estimate? This is a little low.

What about transport? Will you have to find a vehicle from your package?

I think for living, one bedroom JMR plus one vehicle, your package will be OK, but it will be a lot more comfortable, and 2 bedrooms/2 vehicles if your other half is earning too.

Dubai always seems to find a way of charging a little extra here and a little extra there.
JBR apartments don't usually come with white goods in the kitchens.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
JBR apartments don't usually come with white goods in the kitchens.
hi everyone thanks for all the advice - very useful. well i thought it was a great wage i mean its a London wage but tax free but i guess with all the additional expenditure.. no car allowance so we would have to buy one. im checking that dubizzle website - what a great site! thanks Bonny Boy. looks like we could get an apartment for between 140000 and 170000 in JBR or antoher beach district 2 bed and possibly partly furnished so may avoid the need for furniture. the additionals on top of the rent is fairly high so im glad i know about that now.. if anyone knows of any apartments available in april do let me know
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Robbies

I would say so, esp if your husband was to be working also. But, I have no experience of what salaries are in your area of work. Check up on other items in the package; medical/dental/flights home etc

A 2-bed apartment will be around 170k AED per year to rent, so you have plenty for this I would think.

Water & Electricity, you may have air conditioning fees also - not sure about JBR for that though. Not hear of municipality charge?

Not been able to register with DEWA yet as still waiting for our Sales agreement from Nakheel so can't comment on costs (sorry!)

JBR is not far from Emaar Business Park at all - maybe 5 to 10 mins drive depending on traffic I guess?

LOADS of furniture shops. Shopping Festival starts 24 Jan through to end of Feb, so lots of sales on the go.

There is a high turnover of rental properties here (and resale properties) so best to look nearer the time. Have a look on www.bhomes.com for more ideas though

If he gets registered with some agencies he might get something before you arrive; there is a link at the top of this forum with agency websites. Be prepared to chase then though rather than have them provide you with stuff!

You could try and arrange viewings for properties through bhomes for ideas, but other than that, I can't think of anything in particular.
thanks for the response! yep package includes medical etc flights home per year, 100000 aed housing loan interest free and £5000 relocation costs
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really nice

hi everyone thanks for all the advice - very useful. well i thought it was a great wage i mean its a London wage but tax free but i guess with all the additional expenditure.. no car allowance so we would have to buy one. im checking that dubizzle website - what a great site! thanks Bonny Boy. looks like we could get an apartment for between 140000 and 170000 in JBR or antoher beach district 2 bed and possibly partly furnished so may avoid the need for furniture. the additionals on top of the rent is fairly high so im glad i know about that now.. if anyone knows of any apartments available in april do let me know
edwards and towers have a good selection of properties on Palm Jumeirah and you can often pick up a decent place there at a good price.

http://www.edwardsandtowers.com/
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Greens would be another choice for you. Not next to the beach but very close to your office and nice swimming pools.
You wont want to go in the sea in the summer anyway as the sea temperature will be over 30 degrees.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
The Greens would be another choice for you. Not next to the beach but very close to your office and nice swimming pools.
You wont want to go in the sea in the summer anyway as the sea temperature will be over 30 degrees.
someone told me the greens were ridiculously expensive..
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

blokeindubai has a brilliant futureblokeindubai has a brilliant futureblokeindubai has a brilliant futureblokeindubai has a brilliant futureblokeindubai has a brilliant futureblokeindubai has a brilliant futureblokeindubai has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Robbies

Yeah that's not bad

You can get them cheaper than that if you shop around but do you REALLY want to live in Gotham by the Sea ?

It's often not charged or factored into the rent...

DEWA should be less than 500dhs p/m. Cost for cleaner ? 500-600dhs month ? Mobile phone will be approx 1000dhs depending on usage obviously... and then there's getting a car...

Nearer 20 mins I reckon...

Yeah and there's always IKEA

There is a high turnover of rental properties here (and resale properties) so best to look nearer the time. Have a look on www.bhomes.com for more ideas though..

Betterhomes (or worsehomes) are SHITE, ok for pricing purposes but they are TERRIBLE at managing... worse than Steve McClaren !

Try the specialist trade press, but there are quite alot of architects here but if he's REALLY good he should be fine...

Bring a brolly....
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by blokeindubai
Bring a brolly....
still raining then? at least i wont get homesick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.