Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Recent and closely related work experience-Who decides and how?

Recent and closely related work experience-Who decides and how?

Old Jan 18th 2008, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

TellyStubbies is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recent and closely related work experience-Who decides and how?

Recent Work Experience and Closely Related Skilled Occupation

Can anyone help me answer the following 3 questions?

1) Recent Work Experience

“To meet the recent work experience requirement, you must demonstrate that you have been employed in an occupation on the SOL for 12 of the 24 months immediately before lodging your visa application”

Does this employment have to be in your NOMINATED occupation, or can it be in ANY occupation on the SOL?

2) If the recent work experience can be in ANY occupation on the SOL - who determines whether your recent work experience is in an occupation on the SOL if this work experience is not your NOMINATED occupation? And what criteria are applied to determine this?

3) What are the criteria for “a closely related occupation” for the Specific Work Experience and Occupation in Demand categories of the points test?

My situation is that I am a qualified Electronic Equipment Tradesperson (Radio and Television Repairer) ASCO code 4315-11.

However my career has progressed and I am now at CT (medical imaging equipment) Field Service Engineer. I do not have a diploma or degree in this occupation, but have simply progressed through “on the job” training and employer run internal training courses. It is my understanding this occupation would fall under Electrician Special Class ASCO code 4311-13.

I am therefore concerned whether I meet the basic requirements for Recent Work Experience and additionally whether if I do meet this requirement whether I would qualify for any additional points for Specific Work Experience and Occupation in Demand categories.

I would be really grateful for any clarification or details of personal experience of these issues.

Old Jan 19th 2008, 8:32 am
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recent and closely related work experience-Who decides and how?

Bumping this for you,
Beth x x
Old Jan 19th 2008, 8:44 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

First off I'm not an agent and we applied for our visa in 2006, so things may have changed a bit since then.

We had a similar problem when we applied for our visa. My husband worked as a mining engineer for about 3 years and then the 8 months before the visa he worked as a foreman for a mining crew. So here would be the answer to your questions.

1. Yes, any occupation on the SOL is fine. In our case we determined on our own that the position of a foreman here is closely related to a mine deputy in Australia (as far as we could tell). So we felt a mine foreman/supervisor was closerly related to a mining engineer (which is what we were applying under).

2. To be careful, we looked at the job description and responsibilities for a mine deputy on the SOL. We made sure that the my husbands resume closely matched the wording from the SOL list and included the Australian title. The jobs were very similar so we we had no problem making the wording close. Also, we typed up the employer reference so we made sure it had the Australian title and same points from the SOL. We just explained to the employer that it was the equivalent position in Australia and they were ok with that. So they signed the reference no problem.

We had no problems with our application and was never asked to clarify or provide further evidence.

When we were debating what to do we called DIMA and asked pretty much those two questions you asked, and I'm giving you the answers they gave me.

Now, in your case I'm not sure if they would consider those two professions closely related or not. They appear to be, but without comparing the duties performed it's hard to tell.

If I were you I would consult with an agent, even if you just have to pay for an hour or two of their time. If you can sort out that issue then the rest should be a piece of cake. Or alternatively you could call DIMA and ask them if the two professions are closely related. They might be able to tell you then and there. Just be sure to have the two ASCO codes handy and their job descriptions.

I can't find the link right now but there is a page somewhere that lists all the job descriptions for the different ASCO codes.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 10:33 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TellyStubbies

Recent Work Experience and Closely Related Skilled Occupation

Can anyone help me answer the following 3 questions?

1) Recent Work Experience

“To meet the recent work experience requirement, you must demonstrate that you have been employed in an occupation on the SOL for 12 of the 24 months immediately before lodging your visa application”

Does this employment have to be in your NOMINATED occupation, or can it be in ANY occupation on the SOL?

2) If the recent work experience can be in ANY occupation on the SOL - who determines whether your recent work experience is in an occupation on the SOL if this work experience is not your NOMINATED occupation? And what criteria are applied to determine this?

3) What are the criteria for “a closely related occupation” for the Specific Work Experience and Occupation in Demand categories of the points test?

My situation is that I am a qualified Electronic Equipment Tradesperson (Radio and Television Repairer) ASCO code 4315-11.

However my career has progressed and I am now at CT (medical imaging equipment) Field Service Engineer. I do not have a diploma or degree in this occupation, but have simply progressed through “on the job” training and employer run internal training courses. It is my understanding this occupation would fall under Electrician Special Class ASCO code 4311-13.

I am therefore concerned whether I meet the basic requirements for Recent Work Experience and additionally whether if I do meet this requirement whether I would qualify for any additional points for Specific Work Experience and Occupation in Demand categories.

I would be really grateful for any clarification or details of personal experience of these issues.

Dear TS,

Brief answers to your questions:

1. "Recent work experience" involves showing that you have 12 months work experience in a SOL occupation in the past 24 months. A very strange interpretation now being applied is that the work experience claimed must all be in the same occupation.

2. Anyone applying without a recent work experience exemption (only recent Australian graduates and some newly arrived working holiday visa holders are exempt) has to produce evidence that the work experience claimed is in a skilled occupation - obviously it's easier for people whose assessed occupation is also their current occupation - but the onus is on applicants to produce sufficient evidence. Who determines? DIAC determines on the basis of what you tell them.

3. We don't have clear guidance of what's "closely related" yet. Your brief description isn't enough to confirm, unfortunately.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Jan 19th 2008, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

chandugitam has a brilliant futurechandugitam has a brilliant futurechandugitam has a brilliant futurechandugitam has a brilliant futurechandugitam has a brilliant futurechandugitam has a brilliant futurechandugitam has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Dear TS,

Brief answers to your questions:

1. "Recent work experience" involves showing that you have 12 months work experience in a SOL occupation in the past 24 months. A very strange interpretation now being applied is that the work experience claimed must all be in the same occupation.

2. Anyone applying without a recent work experience exemption (only recent Australian graduates and some newly arrived working holiday visa holders are exempt) has to produce evidence that the work experience claimed is in a skilled occupation - obviously it's easier for people whose assessed occupation is also their current occupation - but the onus is on applicants to produce sufficient evidence. Who determines? DIAC determines on the basis of what you tell them.

3. We don't have clear guidance of what's "closely related" yet. Your brief description isn't enough to confirm, unfortunately.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Its becoming more confusing.....
Old Feb 19th 2008, 11:47 pm
Just Joined

20021 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers from Brazil.

I was googling about information anda this topico was very informative. Thank you all.

But i still have a question about this issue.
Is there a need to the recent work experience to be a full time job?

My problem is this. I have to work on my actual profession (and its not on the SOL) to earn enough money to pay the taxes, visa and everything. So as i am a psychologist i can work part time or give counseling services for a year and get my assessment.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 12:49 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 20021
But i still have a question about this issue.
Is there a need to the recent work experience to be a full time job?

My problem is this. I have to work on my actual profession (and its not on the SOL) to earn enough money to pay the taxes, visa and everything. So as i am a psychologist i can work part time or give counseling services for a year and get my assessment.
Work experience must be "paid" in order to count as skilled. And there is a threshold of hours which must be worked each week.

You may struggle to provide acceptable evidence of skilled employment based on what you say, even if it is "skilled" (which it may not be). Get professional assistance.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

nickynush will become famous soon enough

Hi

I am currently working as an accountant (have done for 20 years!!!) but only have AAT qualification which is NVQ level 4 and is not enough for skills assessment as an accountant. With this qualification I could get a positive assessment as on office manager but my recent work experience (20 years) is all in accounting and at a fairly high level. I was employed as a financial controller for a Ltd company from 1988-1998 and then as financial manager for a plc from 1998-2002. Since 2002 I have been self employed and produce and file accounts and tax returns for Ltd Companies and Individuals.

Could I get my skills assessed as office manager but claim recent work experience as an accountant - both are on sol. This wouldn't necessarily be for me as main applicant - thinking more to get extra 5 points on hubbys visa.

Anyone know????

Nicky
Old Mar 4th 2008, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

chandugitam has a brilliant futurechandugitam has a brilliant futurechandugitam has a brilliant futurechandugitam has a brilliant futurechandugitam has a brilliant futurechandugitam has a brilliant futurechandugitam has a brilliant future

I am also in a similar situation.

I have around 4 years of experience in IT(Business Analyst-2 & software Testing-2) while assessed as Accountant(2211-11) by CPAA. Work involves building accounting software.

If i apply as a business analyst there is a risk of Immi asking me to get assessed by ACS. Can't apply as accountant as i am not doing hard core accounting.

I have been advised by an agent to use 'Business and Information Professionals NEC 2299-79' to get the 5 points(any sol for 3 out 4 years). Again Immi might dispute.

Its all very confusing.

Last edited by chandugitam; Mar 4th 2008 at 12:29 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 12:46 pm
where is my gold ticket!!

michell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to all

Hi all
This subject is something we have had a dilemma over, my husband is known as a Fire Alarm Engineer/Technician well this is not on the skills list but was then advised for hubby to go for the skill assesment
Electronic Instrument Tradesperson (Special Class) 4314-13

Job description: Installs, modifies, maintains and repairs complex electronic instruments and control systems which involve a combination of electrical, electronic, mechanical, hydraulic, and pneumatic principles

This a lot of what my husband does, but his title here in the u.k Calls him an Engineer, this he says he feels is the wrong title but that is what was on his job description when he applied and what is on his contract, now can he apply for the above said skills assessment to the TRA if his work agree tothis
he asked one of his previous employers what they would have said he was and he told him an electrical eingineer , you see this is the confusion , my husband does use electric but as he says none of it is high voltage and he has no qualifications in this sector as in a lot of knowledge on the high voltage side of things.

now should we go for the above electronic skill as my husband feels this would be the bet path to take as he has been doing this for 6 yrs and feels he could pass in this skill. would his employers have to put this in any ref he gets from them ?

your advice or answers would be greatly appreciated

kind regards
michell