Want to apply for Dual Citizenship US/UK

Old Jan 13th 2008, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

CJBERG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Want to apply for Dual Citizenship US/UK

Hi all,

I was born in the US in 1980 to a British Mother and I want to apply for dual citizenship to the UK. The application seems straight forward but does anyone know what the rules are behind my US citizenship? Could I lose it if apply to the UK?

Chris
Old Jan 13th 2008, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to apply for Dual Citizenship US/UK

No. You can hold both without any problems.

Good luck.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 6:21 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CJBERG
Could I lose it if apply to the UK?
No, not unless you specifically renounce your US citizenship. Many people in this forum are dual citizens - including me. I have both a US and UK passport.

Ian
Old Jan 13th 2008, 7:58 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CJBERG
Hi all,

I was born in the US in 1980 to a British Mother and I want to apply for dual citizenship to the UK. The application seems straight forward but does anyone know what the rules are behind my US citizenship? Could I lose it if apply to the UK?
http://www.richw.org/dualcit/

As you may already be aware, as you were born before 1983 you need to be registered first as a British citizen (by the Home Office) and then you can apply for a British passport. Presumably your mother was born in the U.K., if not there are additional requirements to meet.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 9:30 am
Just Joined

RWelham is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't believe Registration would apply unless you were still a minor. There is also a max. six year time limit after birth to do this I believe. (If you WERE registered previously, there is an easier process, otherwise see below).

Since your father is not a British Citizen (BC), your mother status is relevant. You fall into an exception where you can derive Citizenship "by descent" from your mother. Hopefully she is a BC "otherwise than by descent" (usually born in UK).

IF this is the case...you can APPLY for BC. You don't have automatic entitlement, but you don't have to naturalize either. You just have to meet the stated criteria in (Nationality Instructions, Chapter 7):

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/sit...ns/nichapter7/

So the process would be:

1. Apply using Form UKM (include relevant documents).

2. Attend Oath Ceremony (fly to UK).

3. Return to US. (You have to be resident in the country you apply from until the new passport arrives).

4. Apply for UK Passport using FORM C1 (include new citizenship documents).

I don't know of a way to apply for the passport directly. Hope this helps (and good luck).
Old Jan 15th 2008, 11:28 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RWelham
I don't believe Registration would apply unless you were still a minor. There is also a max. six year time limit after birth to do this I believe. (If you WERE registered previously, there is an easier process, otherwise see below).

Since your father is not a British Citizen (BC), your mother status is relevant. You fall into an exception where you can derive Citizenship "by descent" from your mother. Hopefully she is a BC "otherwise than by descent" (usually born in UK).

IF this is the case...you can APPLY for BC. You don't have automatic entitlement, but you don't have to naturalize either. You just have to meet the stated criteria in (Nationality Instructions, Chapter 7):

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/sit...ns/nichapter7/

So the process would be:

1. Apply using Form UKM (include relevant documents).

2. Attend Oath Ceremony (fly to UK).

3. Return to US. (You have to be resident in the country you apply from until the new passport arrives).

4. Apply for UK Passport using FORM C1 (include new citizenship documents).

I don't know of a way to apply for the passport directly. Hope this helps (and good luck).

The "UKM" process is an application for British citizenship by registration.

Oath ceremony can be done at a British diplomatic mission in the United States.