Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Used to live in California, Now living in Norway!

Used to live in California, Now living in Norway!

Old Jan 12th 2008, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

zarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nice
Default Used to live in California, Now living in Norway!

Hi there, I guess this is my story:

For almost 8 years of my life I lived in California, I grew up there with my family. My father applied the green card lottery and won. We moved to the states shortly after. My sisters were both were born in California and thus automatically having a citizenship.

Unfortunately my parents never applied for a citizenship for me. We moved the year after I could apply (used to be 5 years in order to get citizenship).

I am very uncertain on how to obtain a citizenship of any form.
My first plan is to go back on a vacation next year for a total of 3 weeks. My goal is to take a look around, enjoy myself and see if it is worth it.

If I obtain a visa of some kind, I have really no idea on how long my stay would be, my guess is 1 year for starts.

Please let me know what my options are, the local embassy doesn't seem to want to listen to my story at all.

Regards,
Ian
Old Jan 12th 2008, 10:05 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Used to live in California, Now living in Norway!

Your past is no help from what you say ..
you start at the beginning again

have a read here

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA
Old Jan 12th 2008, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

zarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nice

I've already read that post. As I said my sisters are US citizens but they are not living there. I've heard this might help on my green card application?
Old Jan 12th 2008, 10:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zarya
I've already read that post. As I said my sisters are US citizens but they are not living there. I've heard this might help on my green card application?
Your sisters can apply for your Immigrant Visa to the USA, but it takes around 10 to 12 years to process. I'm not sure if THEY need to be living in the USA at the time. Something you can look into, though.

Rene
Old Jan 13th 2008, 12:35 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, I guess this is my story:

For almost 8 years of my life I lived in California, I grew up there with my family. My father applied the green card lottery and won. We moved to the states shortly after. My sisters were both were born in California and thus automatically having a citizenship.

Unfortunately my parents never applied for a citizenship for me. We moved the year after I could apply (used to be 5 years in order to get citizenship).

I am very uncertain on how to obtain a citizenship of any form.
My first plan is to go back on a vacation next year for a total of 3 weeks. My goal is to take a look around, enjoy myself and see if it is worth it.

If I obtain a visa of some kind, I have really no idea on how long my stay would be, my guess is 1 year for starts.

Please let me know what my options are, the local embassy doesn't seem to want to listen to my story at all.

Regards,
Ian
Hi:

You don't begin to give enough in the way of facts to evaluate if there is an abandonment or not. This is a gray area of the law.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

You don't begin to give enough in the way of facts to evaluate if there is an abandonment or not. This is a gray area of the law.

My family moved back because my parents thought that it would be better for us to grow up in my home country.
There is no exile involved here, at all.

Regarding the immigration, how could it possibly take 10-12 years to process? :O
Really? It's worth a shot if it's possible. My sisters live here in norway and have a dual citizenship.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 9:38 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

There is no exile involved here, at all.
You do not understand. What was your status in the US at the time you left? Were you a US "permanent resident"? Not your parents, not your sisters... *you*. Were *you* a US permanent resident at the time you left the US?

Regarding the immigration, how could it possibly take 10-12 years to process?
It does *not* actually take 10-12 years to "process". However, there is a quota each year on the number of visas that become available (unless you are the spouse of a USC)... and there are a lot of people in line ahead of you... a *lot* of people. It will take 10-12 years before a visa becomes available. Once the visa is available, it will probably process in 6 or 8 months.

Ian
Old Jan 13th 2008, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

I believe I was not a permanent resident. I thought you had to apply for that after living there of a total of 5 years? If I did do that I'd probably have no real reason posting this.
I could live there because my father had a valid green card etc.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 9:50 am
Account Closed

I believe I was not a permanent resident. I thought you had to apply for that after living there of a total of 5 years? If I did do that I'd probably have no real reason posting this.
Hi:

I was under the impression that your father won the "lottery" and your whole family immigrated to the US. The five years is for citizenship, not permanent residence status.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 9:56 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

If you had permanent residency that derived from your father's permanent residency, then the question is whether or not it's been abandoned by your move out of the US.

So -- how long ago did you leave the US? what immigration status did you hold then? did you have an SSN? had you worked/paid taxes?

It is *possible* to apply to regain permanent residency status if you had it before.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

I am not sure about my immigration status, yes I had / still have a SSN.

I am going to check that up.

I'll let you guys know within the day.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 3:24 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I

It is *possible* to apply to regain permanent residency status if you had it before.
Hi:

Badly worded. The regulations and statute says one is an LPR 'such status not having changed.' Until there is a formal determination of loss of LPR or an I-407 is executed, anyone who has EVER been an LPR can claim the status. However, there is CASE law that makes it a grey area. And it is truly a case by case basis.

It is also an area of law not well understood by most immigration lawyers, immigration officers and immigration judges.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

I have a Social Security Number and my immigrant visa right here.
My visa expired in 96 it says ( the year we left California) As far as I know I am liable to renew my visa? (I have not payed any taxes nor worked in the USA).

I was a permanent resident when I lived there (under my fathers green card).
I am not sure on how to do things from here really.

what are my options?

Last edited by zarya; Jan 13th 2008 at 5:26 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 6:19 pm
Account Closed

I have a Social Security Number and my immigrant visa right here.
My visa expired in 96 it says ( the year we left California) As far as I know I am liable to renew my visa? (I have not payed any taxes nor worked in the USA).

I was a permanent resident when I lived there (under my fathers green card).
I am not sure on how to do things from here really.

what are my options?
Hi:

Consult with a lawyer. By the way, you are misusing the term 'visa'.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 6:20 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Consult with a lawyer. By the way, you are misusing the term 'visa'.
Would that be a lawyer experienced in PR abandonment issues?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.