Midwifery concerns in New Zealand

Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Smilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really nice
Default Midwifery concerns in New Zealand

Hi all,

We have been considering moving to either New Zealand or Australia for some time now and have been quite undecided which would be better for the family. My wife is a Midwife so getting a job wouldn't be too much of a problem. We have explored all possibilities and our chosen area would be the Bay of Plenty.

Today whilst surfing on the internet with her preference (this week!!) being New Zealand. She was researching the hospitals,midwifery and houses.

I arrived home from work to find her ranting and raving about an article she found in the Daily Post newspaper about women being given grocery vouchers to leave hospital early after giving birth. See link below.

http://www.dailypost.co.nz/localnews...thesubsection=

She is amazed and saddened to think that her profession is seen to be uncaring and paying women to leave hospital. She feels that it would be difficult to work autonomously if the management is forcibly bribing women out of the care that they should rightfully get.

Is this the case or just press scarmongery even through she also found another newspaper report.

http://www.bayofplentytimes.co.nz/lo...ondsubsection=

Any comments or buckets of cold water appreciated to cool her down!!

Chris
Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

madmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud of
Default Re: Midwifery concerns in New Zealand

Hi Chris,

I am a midwife inthe UK looking to move to NZ too. That story is worrying but I can tell a few horror stories from here where 1st time moms (some young teenagers) are discharged home in the afternoon having delivered early morning because of pressure on beds and funds. Thats without any bribes - almost makes me wish we would give them vouchers to assuage the guilt I feel at letting them down. Our managers come down on us like a tonne of bricks for not meeting targets! I'm sure your wife can make enquiries (email) direct to the hospital in question and get an idea of what exactly is going on.