Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Family wanting to immigrate to New Zealand

Family wanting to immigrate to New Zealand

Old Jan 5th 2008, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

xander-hp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Family wanting to immigrate to New Zealand

Hi everyone, our family is wanting to immigrate to New Zealand just wondered where we stand;

My dad is 50 years old and is a bricklayer he is fully qualified and has had over 20 years experience. However he left the building trade around 10 years ago, now would he still be able to immigrate as a brick layer now or would he have to return to the building trade for a number of years first then apply to immigrate.

Also if he is successful would he be able to bring his wife and children (the children are aged from 18-24). If anyone could offer us, some help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Old Jan 5th 2008, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

truditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nice
Default Re: Family wanting to immigrate to New Zealand

Hi,
Have you looked at the following website http://www.immigration.govt.nz/ you will find everything there that should help, apart from the personal info of course, every situation is different. And you will find this board a wealth of help and info. Good luck to you all.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 6:09 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by xander-hp
Hi everyone, our family is wanting to immigrate to New Zealand just wondered where we stand;

My dad is 50 years old and is a bricklayer he is fully qualified and has had over 20 years experience. However he left the building trade around 10 years ago, now would he still be able to immigrate as a brick layer now or would he have to return to the building trade for a number of years first then apply to immigrate.

Also if he is successful would he be able to bring his wife and children (the children are aged from 18-24). If anyone could offer us, some help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Sure, dear ol' Dad can immigrate here. He has up to his fifty-sixth birthday. If he has all the qualifications and requisite number of years of experience, a job offer, a clean bill of health and a clear police report, yup, can do.
Dad can bring his wife as well as long as they can provide proof of being in a genuine relationship for the past twelve months. She will be granted permanent residency along with Pops.
As for you kids, that is a bit more tricky. The NZIS website says - If you are aged 17 to 24 years you may be asked to provide evidence that you are dependent on an adult for financial support.

Good luck.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your replys,

yeah pops and my mum have been married for over 20years so no probs there, clear police report, good health, lots of experience and qualifications. No job offer as of yet but dont think that should be too hard for a bricklayer.

However there are 3 children in total aged from 18-24, and it is essential that they be included as our family does not want to split up. I have been on the nz website but find that statement to be a bit vague

"If you are aged 17 to 24 years you may be asked to provide evidence that you are dependent on an adult for financial support"

What exactly does this mean and what, if any, are the ways around this?

Thanks again everyone, the more advice the better. We are considering using an agent if that could help speed things up.

All the best
Old Jan 5th 2008, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

are any of the children working? If so then you are not financially dependant. The children (not really children so young adults) can come on their own visas. There are working holiday visas etc... at 24 I think you would struggle to be classed as a dependant child, but it doesn't mean you can't come you just have to apply for a different visa.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

p.s. using an agent won't speed things up. You still need to meet the criteria set by immigration, there is no way round it.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

Cheers phil, no i guess you cant really call a 24 year old dependant! Im 21 and my sister is 18 we both live at home and are students, do you think this would be sufficient to be classed as dependant? We are working but only part time, so we are mainly relying on our parents for support.

Also my dad hasnt worked full time as a builder for a few years years, does this matter? He is going back into the building trade full time at the moment and were thinking of applying towards the end of the year.

What does everyone think do we stand a good chance?
Old Jan 6th 2008, 11:20 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

...i guess you cant really call a 24 year old dependent! I'm 21 and my sister is 18 we both live at home and are students, do you think this would be sufficient to be classed as dependent? We are working but only part time, so we are mainly relying on our parents for support.
You should contact NZIS directly and ask them for the requirements. Here is what NZIS says:
R2.1.30 Definition of 'dependent child'

Immigration Regulations 1999 reg 20

For the purpose of inclusion in an application and for Dependent Child policy, and despite the definition in section 2 of the Immigration Act 1987, a child is dependent if he or she is:

1. aged 17 to 24, with no child(ren) of his or her own, and
2. single*, and
3. totally or substantially reliant on the principal applicant* and/or the principal applicant's* partner* for financial support, whether living with them or not; or
1. aged 16 or younger, and
2. single*, and
3. totally or substantially reliant on the principal applicant* and/or the principal applicant's* partner* for financial support, whether living with them or not.
3. When determining whether a child of 17 to 24 years of age is totally or substantially reliant on the principal applicant* and/or the principal applicant's* partner* for financial support, visa and immigration officers must consider the whole application, taking into account all relevant factors including:
* whether the child is in paid employment, whether this is full time or part time, and its duration;
* whether the child has any other independent means of financial support;
* whether the child is living with its parents or another family member, and the extent to which other support is provided;
* whether the child is studying, and whether this is full time or part time.

R2.1.35 Evidence of dependence

1. Up to 17 years of age, if a child is unmarried, it is presumed to be dependent unless there is evidence to the contrary.
2. For children aged 17 to 24 years of age, evidence of actual dependence may be required.

Also my dad hasn't worked full time as a builder for a few years years, does this matter? He is going back into the building trade full time at the moment and were thinking of applying towards the end of the year.
He may well have a better chance at securing work if he was here. I would think that getting a job contract for that particular skill would be easier done here than from abroad. Having said that, there seems to be plenty of work available here for a tradesman.

For immigration purposes you will need to look into what qualifications are needed for him to qualify for the skilled migrant scheme.

What does everyone think? Do we stand a good chance?
It is hard to say at this stage. If Pops has the necessary skills and qualifications, can pass the medicals and is of good character, has a job offer, sure, he's in with a reasonable chance.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that "happynz". My dad is going over in a few months to try and find an employer we are thinking of moving to Wellington.

Ideally he would be looking to work for himself, would this be possible does anybody know how long he would have to stay with his original employer for?

He is fully qualified did a City & Guilds in bricklaying back in 1982. We are however having trouble finding any documents to back his workexperience up, pay slips etc. Went to the tax office today but they said its too far back so they have no records of it anymore. Would it be sufficient to get references from old customers, people he has worked for etc. to vouch that he has been working as a bricklayer.

Thanks again everyone finding this forum really helpfull
Old Jan 7th 2008, 7:04 pm

Thanks for that "happynz".
You're welcome
My dad is going over in a few months to try and find an employer we are thinking of moving to Wellington.
Excellent.

Ideally he would be looking to work for himself, would this be possible? Does anybody know how long he would have to stay with his original employer for?
Sure, it's possible to look for work himself. He doesn't need to pay an agent.
How long does he have to stay with his original employer? If he is on a temporary work permit he will be tied to the sponsoring employer. Once he is granted permanent residency he can do whatever he bloody well wants.

He is fully qualified did a City & Guilds in bricklaying back in 1982. We are however having trouble finding any documents to back his work experience up, pay slips etc. Went to the tax office today but they said its too far back so they have no records of it anymore. Would it be sufficient to get references from old customers, people he has worked for etc. to vouch that he has been working as a bricklayer.
You really need to get as much documentation as you can. NZIS won't take your word for anything. They want evidence that can be verified. Good luck and keep trying.

Thanks again everyone finding this forum really helpful
Throw me some karma (that little blue button down towards the left) and buy me a beer when you get here.

Old Jan 8th 2008, 4:46 am

Tan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond repute

Throw me some karma (that little blue button down towards the left) and buy me a beer when you get here.
Now I was wondering how that worked! ...you'd think I'd have noticed the little blue buttion wouldn't you?

Tan