Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Accreditation of Open University in Canada

Accreditation of Open University in Canada

Old Dec 2nd 2007, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

Richard2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Accreditation of Open University in Canada

Dear all,
does anyone have any experience or information regarding the following, please:
Is a BSc(Hons) degree from the Open University acceptable
(a) for immigration (i.e. when applying to CHC in London)
(b) for accreditation as a teacher in Alberta

I hold a PGCE from Warwick University and have QTS, but i am worried that my subject relevant degree from the Open University might not be acceptable.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Richard
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 9:30 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accreditation of Open University in Canada

Hi Richard,

It is possible to get a university degree by distance learning in Canada. I have a few friends who have graduated from Athabasca University. One of them obtained her degree while she was with her husband on a temporary expat assignment in Qatar.

So the concept of an open university is known in Canada. As far as I know, degrees from open universities are accepted just as readily as degrees from bricks-and-mortar universities.

I believe your university qualifications will be accepted, both for the purposes of immigration and for teacher accreditation in Alberta.

Those are not going to be your challenges. At least those are not the areas in which I perceive your main challenges to be. I'm guessing that your main challenges will be the fact that teaching is not an occupation that could fast-track your immigration application and also the fact that, once you're accredited as a teacher in your destination province, it may take you 3 - 4 years to get a fulltime, permanent job in a school that's conveniently located with respect to your house.

Please read this recent thread entitled teaching jobs. Although the person who started it was heading for BC, the issues that that thread covered are similar to the issues that you face.

But let's back up, Richard, and start at the beginning. If you have not already done so, it would be valuable for you to read the Wiki article entitled Newcomers to the forum.

Hope that helps.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 10:56 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard2
Dear all,
does anyone have any experience or information regarding the following, please:
Is a BSc(Hons) degree from the Open University acceptable
(a) for immigration (i.e. when applying to CHC in London)
(b) for accreditation as a teacher in Alberta

I hold a PGCE from Warwick University and have QTS, but i am worried that my subject relevant degree from the Open University might not be acceptable.
It should be acceptable for general recognition purposes in Canada. The only issue you may encounter is if an organisation has a blanket ban on accrediting distance learning degrees.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

eyad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Hi Richard,

It is possible to get a university degree by distance learning in Canada. I have a few friends who have graduated from Athabasca University. One of them obtained her degree while she was with her husband on a temporary expat assignment in Qatar.

So the concept of an open university is known in Canada. As far as I know, degrees from open universities are accepted just as readily as degrees from bricks-and-mortar universities.

I believe your university qualifications will be accepted, both for the purposes of immigration and for teacher accreditation in Alberta.

Those are not going to be your challenges. At least those are not the areas in which I perceive your main challenges to be. I'm guessing that your main challenges will be the fact that teaching is not an occupation that could fast-track your immigration application and also the fact that, once you're accredited as a teacher in your destination province, it may take you 3 - 4 years to get a fulltime, permanent job in a school that's conveniently located with respect to your house.

Please read this recent thread entitled teaching jobs. Although the person who started it was heading for BC, the issues that that thread covered are similar to the issues that you face.

But let's back up, Richard, and start at the beginning. If you have not already done so, it would be valuable for you to read the Wiki article entitled Newcomers to the forum.

Hope that helps.
so, are the graduates of the " American World University" would be acceptable for immigration (to gain education points)?
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 1:33 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

The American World University isn't accredited by an educational institution or government body, whereas the Open University is an incredibly reputable institution who's degrees have the same authority in the UK as any gained from a physical university. And the Open University aren't just distance learning they have physical campuses you can attend (at least part time). They are the only distance learning in the UK that carry the same weight in their awards as any other official University.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

RubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
The American World University isn't accredited by an educational institution or government body, whereas the Open University is an incredibly reputable institution who's degrees have the same authority in the UK as any gained from a physical university. And the Open University aren't just distance learning they have physical campuses you can attend (at least part time). They are the only distance learning in the UK that carry the same weight in their awards as any other official University.
Absolutely true - I have pursued and completed post garaduate education with the Open university and it was recognised by both British Columbia College of teachers and Manitoba.

Ruby
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

Richard2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you to all who have replied to my question. You have been very helpful.
I was unaware of fast tracking applications. As I am also a Chartered Mechanical Engineer with a BEng(hons) degree, do you think that this would speed up the application as I have been told that they are processed on a first come first serve basis?

Thanks again
Richard
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 5:17 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard2
I was unaware of fast tracking applications.
Please see the BE Wiki article entitled Getting into Canada quickly.

As I am also a Chartered Mechanical Engineer with a BEng(hons) degree, do you think that this would speed up the application
OMG, that would make a huge difference.

as I have been told that they are processed on a first come first serve basis?
I don't know who told you that and in what context they told it to you. I'm not an immigration expert, but have picked up a thing or two from hanging round this forum. The only first-come-first-served working visa of which I am aware is the 12-month working holiday visa for British citizens up to the age of 30.

Richard, before you ask any more questions, I strongly recommend that you read the Newcomers to the forum Wiki that I mentioned earlier. It tells you a whole bunch of stuff about this website, and it also introduces you to the topics of Canadian Immigration, Job Hunting in Canada, and many other practical issues.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Bonsai will become famous soon enough

Richard,

I can't see you having a problem. The Open University is widely regarded for the quality of its teaching programmes and as Europes largest teaching institution its pedigree will be well known overseas.

I am fortunate enough to have have a Masters and was told whilst studying (by the CHC) that a Pg Cert and a degree will be counted as a Degree for the points calculation. So if there was any doubt about the degree the additional PgC element can only work in your favour. Allied to this Warwick is a very well respected University so I would imagine that you should be on solid ground.

Equivalency of qualifications is a tricky business and as stated I believe that there is a section in the WIKI area which should guide you.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 11:31 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
And the Open University aren't just distance learning they have physical campuses you can attend (at least part time). They are the only distance learning in the UK that carry the same weight in their awards as any other official University.
Not quite - the University of London also has an extensive distance learning faculty: http://www.londonexternal.ac.uk

Other universities do offer distance learning courses here and there, but the OU and UofL are the two major players in the United Kingdom.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

Adbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant future

Once again this forum answers a question I hadnt yet asked

(Just about to start my OU )

I noticed though that Canada is not listed as an overseas location where you can still study with the OU....... guess I'll need to use my folks address if we ever get over before I finish it

Good Luck Richard

Adbru