Building land

Old Nov 30th 2007, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

legs_akimbo is a jewel in the roughlegs_akimbo is a jewel in the roughlegs_akimbo is a jewel in the roughlegs_akimbo is a jewel in the roughlegs_akimbo is a jewel in the rough
Default Building land

Something of a piece of string question here but would appreciate a rough guesstimate on what I may be expected to pay for a site in the region of a half acre out of the cit but commutable (an hour) from Adelaide.
Either with full, outline, or subject to, planning. Have tried a search through the archives but am in rural backwater Ireland and have only an extremely slow dial up connection (no broadband here) which constantly times out on me. Being a building contractor and having previously built houses myself I was looking only for a feel for site (block) prices and views on if they are extortionate or fairly priced, With thanks in advance.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 8:11 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Building land

Originally Posted by legs_akimbo
Something of a piece of string question here but would appreciate a rough guesstimate on what I may be expected to pay for a site in the region of a half acre out of the cit but commutable (an hour) from Adelaide.
Either with full, outline, or subject to, planning. Have tried a search through the archives but am in rural backwater Ireland and have only an extremely slow dial up connection (no broadband here) which constantly times out on me. Being a building contractor and having previously built houses myself I was looking only for a feel for site (block) prices and views on if they are extortionate or fairly priced, With thanks in advance.
just to help, when searching for blocks, :

1 acre = 4000 sqm (approx )
1/2 acre 2000 etc etc etc

Not knowing adelaide, I can comment on Brisbane..

Within 1 hr of cbd... 600 m2 would be about $150-200k ( developers could score a multitude of the lots for 120-150 each, but thats kind of what you would pay up in Brissy.

Actually, just to help... 1 hr out of anywhere, comparably, its cheaper toi buy a house on land, than land alone... then demolish and build new

Just to add, land over here isnt like coca-cola, its not proportional.

Example. 600 m2 could cost more than 5 acres.
1 acre could cost more than 150,000 acres.

The key is , what use is it designated, ie rural res a or b etc etc.. if its subdividable ( 1/4 acre is min i think for sub-division in brissy )
Dont forget, any lot that isnt on mains sewer, cannot be subdivided for less than i think, 1 acre... something to do with bio-cycle proximity.

Something like that, we did enquire few months ago, but i may have my wires crossed.

Last edited by Timber Floor Au; Nov 30th 2007 at 8:15 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2007, 12:32 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au

Within 1 hr of cbd... 600 m2 would be about $150-200k ( developers could score a multitude of the lots for 120-150 each, but thats kind of what you would pay up in Brissy.

Actually, just to help... 1 hr out of anywhere, comparably, its cheaper toi buy a house on land, than land alone... then demolish and build new

The key is , what use is it designated, ie rural res a or b etc etc.. if its subdividable ( 1/4 acre is min i think for sub-division in brissy )
Dont forget, any lot that isnt on mains sewer, cannot be subdivided for less than i think, 1 acre... something to do with bio-cycle proximity.

Something like that, we did enquire few months ago, but i may have my wires crossed.
And the advantage of buying existing house and doing a knock down is services are already there. But watch for where.

As above not even 2 sites side by side are equal - on our investment site we are extremely lucky we are the first house on our side where the pipes go on to the house behind - meaning we have no building restrictions, whereas next door have to keep at least 1 metre away and the pipe is 1 metre already on their property so they have infact lost 2 metres of building area (excluding setbacks.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

legs_akimbo is a jewel in the roughlegs_akimbo is a jewel in the roughlegs_akimbo is a jewel in the roughlegs_akimbo is a jewel in the roughlegs_akimbo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
And the advantage of buying existing house and doing a knock down is services are already there. But watch for where.

As above not even 2 sites side by side are equal - on our investment site we are extremely lucky we are the first house on our side where the pipes go on to the house behind - meaning we have no building restrictions, whereas next door have to keep at least 1 metre away and the pipe is 1 metre already on their property so they have infact lost 2 metres of building area (excluding setbacks.
Thanks for the replies, seems I have a far bit of research to do yet. Every country having its own unique rules, regulations, and clauses etc when buying building land. Will need to do my homework on this one, but again thanks for taking the time to reply guys.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 7:58 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Building land

Good point.

Our 6300m2 block cost about 1.5 times 900m2 blocks cost in the same area. To some people a big block is not a benefit, especially if you can only build one house per block.

Buzzy
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 8:31 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

not only that... we have or were always asked, what doya wanna do with the land?

Our reply was always... erm nothing lol

Was chatting to great cpl at a meet yesterday, just bought a 75 acre block in Gympie.. found myself asking.. how cools that, what ya gonna do with it?

Reply: dunno.. just enjoy it !

Priceless !!!
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 9:10 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

not only that... we have or were always asked, what doya wanna do with the land?

Our reply was always... erm nothing lol

Was chatting to great cpl at a meet yesterday, just bought a 75 acre block in Gympie.. found myself asking.. how cools that, what ya gonna do with it?

Reply: dunno.. just enjoy it !

Priceless !!!
Yeh exactly - 1/3 of our block has to be kept as native bush by covenant, suits me fine!!!

Buzzy
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 9:54 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Can see that changing with the land shortage though.

Old Dec 2nd 2007, 10:00 pm

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Where have you seen block for that price, and are we talking 1hr 3am or 1hr in rush our traffic?

Old Dec 2nd 2007, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Great info, cheers!

What's the difference between "Res A" and "Res B"?

How would you work out the size of a block in m2, based on length and width? EG Is 34 long x 20 wide the same as 680m2? (34x20). How do you work it out?

$200k for 600m2 a res a or b block within an hour's peak-time commute sounds like a dream come true. Most I've seen are upwards of $250k
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 2:36 am
Banned

Originally Posted by themerlin
Where have you seen block for that price, and are we talking 1hr 3am or 1hr in rush our traffic?
LOL good point... based on non rush hr and a free run on the rds... 1 hr can get you quite far, there are blocks for and around 150+ albeit small, but they certainly exist.

Originally Posted by tictac
Great info, cheers!

What's the difference between "Res A" and "Res B"?

How would you work out the size of a block in m2, based on length and width? EG Is 34 long x 20 wide the same as 680m2? (34x20). How do you work it out?

$200k for 600m2 a res a or b block within an hour's peak-time commute sounds like a dream come true. Most I've seen are upwards of $250k
I musta missed the peak hr part of the original post, brain fart

Yep to work out your block size, is simple... 200m x 100m = 20000 sqm = about 5 acres = 2 hectares.

House sizes are different, they are measured in squares, which is an old builders measure, of 100 sq ft. So a 35 sq house = 3500 sq ft. ( think divide by 10.77 to convert to sq.m )

Ste
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 2:42 am

What do they count, sometimes the real estate agent measurements don't see accurate, do they count the patio and the drive way? Or is it just the area under the roof.

House sizes are different, they are measured in squares, which is an old builders measure, of 100 sq ft. So a 35 sq house = 3500 sq ft. ( think divide by 10.77 to convert to sq.m )
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 2:52 am
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by themerlin
What do they count, sometimes the real estate agent measurements don't see accurate, do they count the patio and the drive way? Or is it just the area under the roof.
Often they quote "x squares of living" which probably means living space under cover, not including garages, patios etc. It may or may not include Al Fresco, Verandah and Porch areas which are under cover but not inside.

Buzzy
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by legs_akimbo
Think theres some blocks that size around Murray Bridge area (Not murray bridge unless you have 2 heads) for less than 125k, thats an hour from Adelaide.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

Would I be correct in assuming that large tracts of building land become available which are then subdivided into individual sites (blocks) and sold to prospective self builders.? Kind of like a new housing estate, only you buy your block then build, rather than a completed property constructed within a development.?
Am only accustomed to land sales that may have say, full planning permission on them for a four bed house with no clauses at the top end of the scale, or a block with full planning but a five year residency clause, going down to a block of land that would be sold subject to gaining planning upon it. Is this in a rounabout way how the system operates in Oz but more so in rural areas close to towns on individual blocks upwards of half an acre?
As for having a larger block, yeah the idea can be appealing but when it comes to maintaining it, it can certainly be a burden, anything over an acre takes alot of looking after.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.