NYC in December

Old Nov 23rd 2007, 7:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Question NYC in December

Hi all,

So I have this crazy idea that OH and I should use up 2 of the vacation days that we have to burn before the holidays by going to NYC for a long weekend in December. Neither of us have ever been, and the idea of doing this and walking around the city to see it dolled up for the holidays seems like a lot of fun.

I've found an airfare RT for $120 - hard to beat that. Hotels of course appear to be a fortune ... but I was looking in Manhattan, and that's likely the reason.

I'm curious - since some of you live near the area or have been - where would you recommend staying, etc? If we were to do this, it would have to be kept under $1,000 for everything - including airfare. I've managed to go to Europe for a week for that price before (granted when the dollar was stronger) so I just can't justify spending more than that.

Good idea? Crazy idea? Any thoughts on a reasonable home base that wouldn't be too far from everything, would be safe, etc?

Cheers in advance!

Kathy
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 7:37 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NYC in December

Originally Posted by KJ2007
Hi all,

So I have this crazy idea that OH and I should use up 2 of the vacation days that we have to burn before the holidays by going to NYC for a long weekend in December. Neither of us have ever been, and the idea of doing this and walking around the city to see it dolled up for the holidays seems like a lot of fun.

I've found an airfare RT for $120 - hard to beat that. Hotels of course appear to be a fortune ... but I was looking in Manhattan, and that's likely the reason.

I'm curious - since some of you live near the area or have been - where would you recommend staying, etc? If we were to do this, it would have to be kept under $1,000 for everything - including airfare. I've managed to go to Europe for a week for that price before (granted when the dollar was stronger) so I just can't justify spending more than that.

Good idea? Crazy idea? Any thoughts on a reasonable home base that wouldn't be too far from everything, would be safe, etc?

Cheers in advance!

Kathy
Check Sidestep for special hotel rates. Venere sometimes has some good deals too. If you're prepared to rough it (e.g. no private bathroom), you may be able to get a reasonable rate.

Or you could stay at one of the airport hotels near EWR, take the shuttle to the airport each day and the train from Newark Liberty to Penn Station - takes about half an hour.

So much to do in NYC!!
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Check Sidestep for special hotel rates. Venere sometimes has some good deals too. If you're prepared to rough it (e.g. no private bathroom), you may be able to get a reasonable rate.

Or you could stay at one of the airport hotels near EWR, take the shuttle to the airport each day and the train from Newark Liberty to Penn Station - takes about half an hour.

So much to do in NYC!!
Thanks Elvira - I was looking at vrbo.com but haven't heard of the other sites. Priceline is an option too.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I have stayed at this funky joint on a couple of occasions: http://www.thepodhotel.com/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html

Not recently, I might add, I stayed there when it was the Pickwick Arms. Looks like they've revamped it and made it cool n trendy - much needed improvements by the look of it, it was getting a bit tired, but always good value.

The location is absolutely top notch, and the prices still seem to be very reasonable. The downside is that it has tiny, tiny rooms - but all things considered if you want to be in Manhattan - in the area its in, you'd be hard pressed to beat it.

Last edited by Dan725; Nov 23rd 2007 at 8:08 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 7:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dan725
I have stayed at this funky joint on a couple of occasions: http://www.thepodhotel.com/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html

Not recently, I might add, I stayed there when it was the Pickwick Arms. Looks like they've revamped it and made it cool n trendy - much needed improvements I might add, it was getting a bit tired, but always good value.

The location is absolutely top notch, and the prices still seem to be very reasonable. The downside is that it has tiny, tiny rooms - but all things considered if you want to be in Manhattan - in the area its in, you'd be hard pressed to beat it.
Thanks Dan - don't plan to be in the room much - so small rooms are no problem. I'm more concerned with safety and location, and not breaking the bank.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Dan - don't plan to be in the room much - so small rooms are no problem. I'm more concerned with safety and location, and not breaking the bank.
Well in that case you can't go far wrong - the Police Precinct HQ is across the street!!!
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 7:59 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Elvira - I was looking at vrbo.com but haven't heard of the other sites. Priceline is an option too.
One of the easiest ways of saving $$$ in NYC - without compromising what you do - is to take public transport instead of taxis, and get food from delis instead of eating at restaurants.

Subway and buses in NYC can be a bit confusing if you're not familiar with the city, but it really pays to do your homework, i.e. familiarise yourself with the map and routes beforehand.

(NB: If you're flying into JFK, you can take the bus to Midtown Manhattan (Grand Central); or take the Air Train plus Rhode Island train to Penn Station. If you fly into EWR, there's a train train that goes straight to Penn Station.)
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

One of the easiest ways of saving $$$ in NYC - without compromising what you do - is to take public transport instead of taxis, and get food from delis instead of eating at restaurants.

Subway and buses in NYC can be a bit confusing if you're not familiar with the city, but it really pays to do your homework, i.e. familiarise yourself with the map and routes beforehand.

(NB: If you're flying into JFK, you can take the bus to Midtown Manhattan (Grand Central); or take the Air Train plus Rhode Island train to Penn Station. If you fly into EWR, there's a train train that goes straight to Penn Station.)
Thanks Elvira - that sounds like what I do when I'm in Europe to save money. (Always been a fan of stopping at a local market and buying a picnic lunch to enjoy, etc.) In France for instance: give me some fruit, a baguette, cheese and wine and I'm a happy girl.

Plus - I'd imagine that one wouldn't be compromising on taste in a NY deli!

We'd definitely do public transport in lieu of taxis - unless the public transport seemed dangerous for some reason.

Trying to work out a budget so I can convince OH.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 8:05 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: NYC in December

So much to do in NYC!!
Tip: If you go to Priceline or Hotwire you can choose their 'name your own price' option. There are a couple of websites which help you choose how much to 'bid' on Priceline and Hotwire if you want to name your own price by listing recent successful bids and what the person paid for the room. My friend was able to book an amazing price at the Country Inn & Suites just 5 mins with a free shuttle from Newark airport - Glimcher Realty Way, Elizabeth ($50 per night inc. breakfast when their own internet price on their website was $119) at Newark airport.

See here:

http://www.biddingfortravel.com

http://www.betterbidding.com

Hotels in Jersey City & Newport, NJ are other options as you take the PATH subway trains directly into lower and mid-town Manhatten (they run all night, although it is a late night reduced service). The hotels are near the PATH stations and areas are safe. We did once try and bid for the wonderful Hyatt at Jersey City but got the Doubletree instead, albeit at a good price....

Also....are you in the AAA? You can usually get AAA discounts of approx 10% in most (chain) hotels. I've just used mine to book a room next week.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 8:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Tip: If you go to Priceline or Hotwire you can choose their 'name your own price' option. There are a couple of websites which help you choose how much to 'bid' on Priceline and Hotwire if you want to name your own price by listing recent successful bids and what the person paid for the room. My friend was able to book an amazing price at the Country Inn & Suites just 5 mins with a free shuttle from Newark airport - Glimcher Realty Way, Elizabeth ($50 per night inc. breakfast when their own internet price on their website was $119) at Newark airport.

See here:

http://www.biddingfortravel.com

http://www.betterbidding.com

Hotels in Jersey City & Newport, NJ are other options as you take the PATH subway trains directly into lower and mid-town Manhatten (they run all night, although it is a late night reduced service). The hotels are near the PATH stations and areas are safe. We did once try and bid for the wonderful Hyatt at Jersey City but got the Doubletree instead, albeit at a good price....

Also....are you in the AAA? You can usually get AAA discounts of approx 10% in most (chain) hotels. I've just used mine to book a room next week.
Thanks! Yes - I'm on AAA. Good to hear that there are some reasonable options that don't mean that one has to stay in a nasty hotel. I did Priceline for Portland, Oregon and also got Doubletree.

Thanks for the bidding sites!
Old Nov 24th 2007, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Cheers in advance!

Kathy
The New Yorker hotel ... listed as 'Ramada inn and plaza' corner of 8th and 34th st .... right opposite Maddison square gardens.
Old Nov 24th 2007, 1:26 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
The New Yorker hotel ... listed as 'Ramada inn and plaza' corner of 8th and 34th st .... right opposite Maddison square gardens.
I said there once...you get well looked after.
Old Nov 24th 2007, 1:27 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rushman
I said there once...you get well looked after.
The cockroaches took the bags up to our room.
Old Nov 24th 2007, 4:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Rushman
The cockroaches took the bags up to our room.
Ah - that one's out then. I don't need a bellman, prefer no fuss.
Old Nov 24th 2007, 4:27 am
Account Closed

Ah - that one's out then. I don't need a bellman, prefer no fuss.
Never been there in my life. If Pats says its nice it probably is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.