Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How many pay gov't school fees?

How many pay gov't school fees?

Old Nov 23rd 2007, 2:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default How many pay gov't school fees?

For government schools you get an annual request for fees of approx $500 above and beyond paying for books and excursions.

My wife has been told that paying them is not compulsory.

Anybody know what % actually pay the fees?

Ian
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 2:15 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: How many pay gov't school fees?

Originally Posted by ebo1608
For government schools you get an annual request for fees of approx $500 above and beyond paying for books and excursions.

Ian
If you can afford to pay it then i would pay. We payed the first year and having 3 kids to pay for (all school accessories and fees) it was a fortune Never knew about it, but i sure do now.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 2:26 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Ian
Why does it matter what % pay? If you can afford to pay then why wouldn't you? If everyone chose not to pay then what state would the public education system be in?
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Ian
I pay for school books and excursions etc -as far as I know those are compulsory.

The constant bombardment of requests for $100 library fund, $200 P&C committee, $50 building fund etc etc per child are not compulsory, yet they try and bully you into it. I'm happy to support some fund raising, and have often paid these fees in the past, but if the schools are so reliant on these parental contributions then they should instead be lobbying their MP to make sure they receive them - by way of the taxes we pay. Australia is pretty highly taxed, and I don't have a problem with that, I would prefer to pay more tax for better health, education etc ... but is the money getting there? If parents continue to subsidise at this level then there is no incentive for the govt to provide them with adequate funding in the first place.

My daughters' school did the dash with me when they were donated $60k recently, which they then spent on a chaplain, despite being a non-religious school. Clearly they can't be that desperate for the money.

Last edited by rabsody; Nov 23rd 2007 at 2:52 am. Reason: punctuation
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 2:58 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

We pay the voluntary contribution at our school. Many do not.

We've been told by someone who works at the school that most of the people who don't pay the voluntary contribution are poms, I don't believe it myself, but it's what I've been told.

I do think its a bloody cheek though seeing as we pay so much tax including a whopping amount of stamp duty on cars and our new house.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 3:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Just had a newsletter from my daughters school saying that there is $6000 in unpaid school fees this year. That equates to 12 people as the fee is $500 (of course it could be that lots of different people have only paid part of the fee)

The school has approx 400 pupils, so the percentage is pretty low there.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

My daughter is only small but reading this, school is not cheap .....
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 3:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Why does it matter what % pay? If you can afford to pay then why wouldn't you? If everyone chose not to pay then what state would the public education system be in?
Are you usually so supercilious?

We do pay the fees but...

Out of curiosity I just wondered what % don't.

Thanks to those that answered, particularly, Wendy.

Ian
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 4:47 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
We pay the voluntary contribution at our school. Many do not.

We've been told by someone who works at the school that most of the people who don't pay the voluntary contribution are poms, I don't believe it myself, but it's what I've been told.

I do think its a bloody cheek though seeing as we pay so much tax including a whopping amount of stamp duty on cars and our new house.

Out of interest, do you get tax relief on those contributions? Does a school count as a charitable organisation for the purposes of financial donations?

S
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 4:53 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Out of interest, do you get tax relief on those contributions? Does a school count as a charitable organisation for the purposes of financial donations?

S
for info goto that well known site....

www.etcudu.gov.edu.au/iou/4kall
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 4:54 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
S
No, not as far as I'm aware.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 4:54 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au

A simple yes or no would have done! I'm really not that interested, as I don't have any kids, but was just curious...

S
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute

Old Nov 23rd 2007, 5:00 am
(It's not my real name)

The penny drops
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 5:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Ian
Plenty of people dont pay, thats why those who do pay have kids sitting at school having to share maths work books, atlas, etc etc or having the teacher spending teaching time asking kids to share, photocopy etc, dont pay great its only the kids that suffer, what a saving

The levies for art /science/ computer etc determine how many lessons the kids will get that year in those subjects, the more who dont pay the less education they get in those subjects.

Mine are both going to state school next year, already been asked for $437 subject fees for high school this inculdes hire of text books would otherwise have to buy, plus about $130 for primary. That includes all the art and science levies etc.

Best teacher we had published a list of those on the class door who had paid good on him, they must get sick of kids scuffling for a friggin pencil/book, dont know why the state education system needs so much money for basics, but it does and those who dont pay are ripping off kids no one else, plus most of them not paying can afford beer etc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.