Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

perth or brisbane?

perth or brisbane?

Old Oct 28th 2007, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default perth or brisbane?

Perth or brisbane?
which one are you going too and why there?
Work?relative/friends already there?been before and liked?etc

I plan on going to one of these and really cant pick one,my work would have more options i think in perth,but then i feel perth is so far away from everywhere else.But brisbanes not a problem if fly in,fly out jobs are available.

Has anyone went to perth and wished they went east coast and anyone from east coast wished they had went w.a.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 11:25 am
Kingscliff NSW/QLD border

the plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to all
Default Re: perth or brisbane?

i'm not even going there......said my bit previously.......
Old Oct 28th 2007, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

try a search, this topic comes up at least a dozen times a month....
Old Oct 28th 2007, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by brian.w
Perth or brisbane?
which one are you going too and why there?
Work?relative/friends already there?been before and liked?etc

I plan on going to one of these and really cant pick one,my work would have more options i think in perth,but then i feel perth is so far away from everywhere else.But brisbanes not a problem if fly in,fly out jobs are available.

Has anyone went to perth and wished they went east coast and anyone from east coast wished they had went w.a.
AHAHAH, love it, been to Bris, not Perth,

I see alot of people doing the opposite. I hope you get constructive posts, usually they end up a mess, and not on the subject.

Brisbane is great by the way, but must admit, my earning and job potential is better in Perth.

Dont let the isolation thing get in the way...thats a no brainer.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 1:28 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bridie
try a search, this topic comes up at least a dozen times a month....
Yes....here we go again

Definitely have a search, I'm sure you'll find lots.

I'm going to guess that jobs will be the biggest determining factor. I belive you're a pipefitter, so I'm really not sure where the best spot is to be honest. If you're still looking into working at the mines then it will still be fly in fly out from Perth unless you can find something more local. So I think you're best bet it to keep checking the job ads (www.seek.com.au) and see which area has the best/most job opportunites for you.

I wish I had some contacts for you in Brisbane, but unfortunatley I don't.

A quick look and here's jobs in Brisbane, Gold Coast and Queensland:
http://www.seek.com.au/jobsearch/ind...=pipe%20fitter
Nine of the jobs were actually advertised as Brisbane positions.

And here's jobs in Perth:
Four of the jobs were advertised as Perth positions.

So at a quick glance it looks as though Brisbane has more opportunites. But who knows how many of those jobs will work for you, or how many jobs are unadvertised.

I think it's great to be able to pick where you live, but unfortunately you need a job to go with it. My husband is a mining engineer so we knew when we moved here we couldn't just pick any town to live in. It had to be someplace where he could find work, which really limited our choices. So when we arrived we travelled around for a month while he did job interviews, with no idea where we'd end up. We were very lucky to end up in Brisbane, we could just as easily been in the middle of nowhere!

Last edited by comet555; Oct 28th 2007 at 1:48 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Originally Posted by comet555
Yes....here we go again

Definitely have a search, I'm sure you'll find lots.

I'm going to guess that jobs will be the biggest determining factor. I belive you're a pipefitter, so I'm really not sure where the best spot is to be honest. If you're still looking into working at the mines then it will still be fly in fly out from Perth unless you can find something more local. So I think you're best bet it to keep checking the job ads (www.seek.com.au) and see which area has the best/most job opportunites for you.

I wish I had some contacts for you in Brisbane, but unfortunatley I don't.

A quick look and here's jobs in Brisbane, Gold Coast and Queensland:
Nine of the jobs were actually advertised as Brisbane positions.

And here's jobs in Perth:
Four of the jobs were advertised as Perth positions.

So at a quick glance it looks as though Brisbane has more opportunites. But who knows how many of those jobs will work for you, or how many jobs are unadvertised.

I think it's great to be able to pick where you live, but unfortunately you need a job to go with it. My husband is a mining engineer so we knew when we moved here we couldn't just pick any town to live in. It had to be someplace where he could find work, which really limited our choices. So when we arrived we travelled around for a month while he did job interviews, with no idea where we'd end up. We were very lucky to end up in Brisbane, we could just as easily been in the middle of nowhere!
Well i been told on another forum if i am a good hand then,location is no worries,as lots of company's will fly you from anywhere.
Its just i am used to working in the oil and gas industry on sites and oil rigs here in the uk and i dont know anything about mines or how good or crap they are compared to what i am used to.
I was told there is plenty of work for my trade in qld,in the mines but i thought it maybe hard to get into these,i suppose if you have the skills then should be no problem.
I would not want to be tied to just mines,cause maybe it was not for me or not what i thought and at least perth has various things going mines,offshore rigs,site work and workshops etc.
I keep thinking about this a lot and its driving me mad knowing what place would be best,i like both in there own way.
I know when the time comes i will need to pick one and hope its the right choice as be a very expensive mistake it i wanted to move to the other.

Yes i suppose there is other places i could consider that also has lots of work in my line,but i just want these places to be it i suppose as one they get more sun and are warmer just one many reasons.

I have been to both,brisbane 3 months this year and when i was traveling in 2004 for one year also 3 months in perth in which i also worked,but as for going to see places there was not much out of perth if you know what i mean,just smaller towns,as was both south and north of perth.

Brisbane has sunshine coast,gold coast and all the way up to cairns and further and also down south sydney and melbourne if wanted,then there is fiji which i went there this year and new zealand which i think is closer to brisbane than perth.

The one thing about perth is i would have an aunt and cousin there so would not feel so lonely at first, but then im sure after a while through work and going out make new friends in any place.

Maybe i should just stay in uk,only joking but i just cant decided as you say maybe i should just check out jobs on these websites and see how much work comes up and how often.
I wish i could talk with others in my line of work thats done all this and have a one to one on why they picked living there and for what reasons and just a feel for what the work situation was like.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 11:39 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Well, I must say it does sound as though you'd prefer to be in the Brisbane area. It looks like you like to travel and see things, so maybe Brisbane is a better fit.

I've never been to Perth so I can't comment on WA. For us Perth was a last resort because we didn't want to be so isolated. Even though mining is huge there right now and my husband could have made a lot more money, it just isn't what we wanted.

In the end we had to choose between the Hunter Valley where there is mining, or Brisbane. Brisbane one because there are lots of things to do and so many suburbs to chose from (although our budget eliminated lots of those). But we're in the Bayside area and love it. Several of the jobs on the Brisbane list were in Capalaba which is where we live.

My suggestiong is if you think it's Brisbane then just come and try to find a job. If you don't have any luck then head towards Perth (or vice versa). It's obviously a more expensive route, but there's no reason to be stuck there unless you can't afford to leave it.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 11:45 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Go to Brisbane.

I was chatting to a mate on Saturday night, originally from Manchester, he's been here longer than me, maybe 10 years. We both agreed that if we could wind the clock back we'd have gone to the Sunshine Coast.

Don't get me wrong Perth's great but winter just seems to go on for ever these days. Plus there's just so much more to do over east.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by renth
Go to Brisbane.

I was chatting to a mate on Saturday night, originally from Manchester, he's been here longer than me, maybe 10 years. We both agreed that if we could wind the clock back we'd have gone to the Sunshine Coast.

Don't get me wrong Perth's great but winter just seems to go on for ever these days. Plus there's just so much more to do over east.
So i take it this is from someone from perth,i can say i really enjoyed my time in perth and i was there in total 4 months in wa maybe a little more and that was 3 months in perth working and the rest down south and up north where i headed for darwin.
But its different when your traveling,your not really living anywhere as such moving about a lot and seeing things for the first time,but after a while if i was living there what would there be to go and see as its limits like the east cost.
To tell you the truth i have very little to see of australia as i purchased a car and drove 17,500 miles.

I started in a place called geelong just a hour away from melbourne then went all the way up the east coast seeing and stopping along the way,i went up as far as cairns and then after months headed all the way back to geelong,near melborune,i then headed for adelaide,then from there perth,after perth went south of it and then back to perth and then after a while headed north,all the way upto exmouth,then across to darwin,i was there for a while again and then headed down the middle stopping and many places alice springs etc until i got back to adelaide,then back to melbourne.
So You could say i was glad when a dealer purchased my car,little did he know i was this far.
Anyway i have seen places and done things most will never or do or go see,even some of my relatives over there have not been to there nearest state,how crazy.
But then saying that i have not seen much of my own country of scotland,but might make an effort of doing that before i leave it.

To be honest my first thoughts on brisbane i did not like it back in 2004 compared to other places,but then i did not see enough or stay long say a month,i did like gold coast,but then many said they did not,i was back in brisbane this year for 3 months and i seen it in a different way,liked it more and really much more things to do if required.

But to be honest a guy needs to be in work and that plays an important part in moving to oz,so if perth or brisbane i have no idea,i suppose there will be jobs in them both and if not im sure there is fly in/out jobs.

My relatives from mebourne area said if they moved to a state in australia it would be qld,and a few guys i worked with in perth who lived in perth and was from there said they would love to stay in qld,why dont they?
I dont know what it is about qld,but then as i said perth is good also,nothing i hate about it,just work seems to be plenty there for me.

As someone said to me toss a cion and thats it,maybe i will need to when it comes.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by brian.w
So i take it this is from someone from perth,i can say i really enjoyed my time in perth and i was there in total 4 months in wa maybe a little more and that was 3 months in perth working and the rest down south and up north where i headed for darwin.
But its different when your traveling,your not really living anywhere as such moving about a lot and seeing things for the first time,but after a while if i was living there what would there be to go and see as its limits like the east cost.
To tell you the truth i have very little to see of australia as i purchased a car and drove 17,500 miles.

I started in a place called geelong just a hour away from melbourne then went all the way up the east coast seeing and stopping along the way,i went up as far as cairns and then after months headed all the way back to geelong,near melborune,i then headed for adelaide,then from there perth,after perth went south of it and then back to perth and then after a while headed north,all the way upto exmouth,then across to darwin,i was there for a while again and then headed down the middle stopping and many places alice springs etc until i got back to adelaide,then back to melbourne.
So You could say i was glad when a dealer purchased my car,little did he know i was this far.
Anyway i have seen places and done things most will never or do or go see,even some of my relatives over there have not been to there nearest state,how crazy.
But then saying that i have not seen much of my own country of scotland,but might make an effort of doing that before i leave it.

To be honest my first thoughts on brisbane i did not like it back in 2004 compared to other places,but then i did not see enough or stay long say a month,i did like gold coast,but then many said they did not,i was back in brisbane this year for 3 months and i seen it in a different way,liked it more and really much more things to do if required.

But to be honest a guy needs to be in work and that plays an important part in moving to oz,so if perth or brisbane i have no idea,i suppose there will be jobs in them both and if not im sure there is fly in/out jobs.

My relatives from mebourne area said if they moved to a state in australia it would be qld,and a few guys i worked with in perth who lived in perth and was from there said they would love to stay in qld,why dont they?
I dont know what it is about qld,but then as i said perth is good also,nothing i hate about it,just work seems to be plenty there for me.

As someone said to me toss a cion and thats it,maybe i will need to when it comes.

Maybe you should look at it from a slightly different angle? There's probably no right and wrong, neither place is perfect, so toss that coin and go for it!Don't keep wondering "what if?" just make the best of the place you choose.

Personally, we chose Brisbane so that we could travel to Sydney, Melbourne and NZ easier. (Which by they way, we do frequently).

Gill