Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Canada Place in Edmonton - our landing experience!

Canada Place in Edmonton - our landing experience!

Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

rabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud of
Default Canada Place in Edmonton - our landing experience!

The rumours....
are out there. Some said it was possible to "land" at Canada Place in Edmonton. Although I had called them and couldn't confirm it, and CIC's agent on the toll-free number told me it wasn't possible, I thought I would give it a shot. The end result? I am now a Permanent Resident and I didn't have to go to a border crossing

I arrived at Canada Place and asked at the information booth where to find Citizenship & Immigration. I was directed to the South elevator and instructed to go to the 2nd floor. Upon arrival at the 2nd floor I followed the appropriate sign and ended up at a reception area. I informed the lady I have a work permit and have now received PR visa and COPR. She asked to see my COPR then told me I could land right away. She took the COPR paperwork and I was asked to take a seat in a waiting area.

The waiting area consisted of 5 or 6 seats. Up ahead of the seats was a cashier type of area. 2 people were working behind the counter and processing the PRs. I knew I was in the right place

After waiting for 4 or 5 people before me my name was called and I was processed. It took just under 8 minutes to go from temporary resident to permanent. I was only asked for my passport, work permit and the COPR (which the clerk already had). When all was said and done I was offered congratulations, told my PR card should arrive within 30 days, then I was sent downstairs to the Service Canada office to collect a new Social Insurance Number

It took about 30 minutes to be seen at the Service Canada office. They took my old SIN card, copy of COPR which had been given to me upstairs, and asked a number of questions to confirm my ID. A new SIN was issued, with the card expected to follow in 2 or 3 weeks.

So I drove home as a PR, grabbed lunch, packed the wife & kids in the car and went straight back. A couple of hours later and we are all PRs.

However, I have learned something about landing in Canada Place. They only process PR for applicants who have applied from within Canada and have been in the Country for at least 1 year. I only discovered this as they completed processing my youngest child. I pointed out that we did not fit that category
"Then you shouldn't have landed here", came the reply. She checked the details on her computer and realised that we had applied for PR prior to coming to Canada. She said the lady on the front desk should have verified our eligibility to land at Canada Place. I'm sure she must have recognised the look of horror on our faces because she then reached out her hand and grabbed mine and said, "Don't worry. You're PR now, nothing will happen. Once you're in, you're in."

The conclusion....
It is possible to land at Canada Place in Edmonton. Our family of 5 has done so today. However we should not have been processed there unless we had been in Canada for at least 1 year before applying for PR. Somehow we slipped through the checks and didn't discover this until the end.

Hopefully this information will bring some clarification for those wishing to land at Canada Place.

Rob
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada Place in Edmonton - our landing experience!

Originally Posted by rabrol
The rumours....
are out there. Some said it was possible to "land" at Canada Place in Edmonton. Although I had called them and couldn't confirm it, and CIC's agent on the toll-free number told me it wasn't possible, I thought I would give it a shot. The end result? I am now a Permanent Resident and I didn't have to go to a border crossing

I arrived at Canada Place and asked at the information booth where to find Citizenship & Immigration. I was directed to the South elevator and instructed to go to the 2nd floor. Upon arrival at the 2nd floor I followed the appropriate sign and ended up at a reception area. I informed the lady I have a work permit and have now received PR visa and COPR. She asked to see my COPR then told me I could land right away. She took the COPR paperwork and I was asked to take a seat in a waiting area.

The waiting area consisted of 5 or 6 seats. Up ahead of the seats was a cashier type of area. 2 people were working behind the counter and processing the PRs. I knew I was in the right place

After waiting for 4 or 5 people before me my name was called and I was processed. It took just under 8 minutes to go from temporary resident to permanent. I was only asked for my passport, work permit and the COPR (which the clerk already had). When all was said and done I was offered congratulations, told my PR card should arrive within 30 days, then I was sent downstairs to the Service Canada office to collect a new Social Insurance Number

It took about 30 minutes to be seen at the Service Canada office. They took my old SIN card, copy of COPR which had been given to me upstairs, and asked a number of questions to confirm my ID. A new SIN was issued, with the card expected to follow in 2 or 3 weeks.

So I drove home as a PR, grabbed lunch, packed the wife & kids in the car and went straight back. A couple of hours later and we are all PRs.

However, I have learned something about landing in Canada Place. They only process PR for applicants who have applied from within Canada and have been in the Country for at least 1 year. I only discovered this as they completed processing my youngest child. I pointed out that we did not fit that category
"Then you shouldn't have landed here", came the reply. She checked the details on her computer and realised that we had applied for PR prior to coming to Canada. She said the lady on the front desk should have verified our eligibility to land at Canada Place. I'm sure she must have recognised the look of horror on our faces because she then reached out her hand and grabbed mine and said, "Don't worry. You're PR now, nothing will happen. Once you're in, you're in."

The conclusion....
It is possible to land at Canada Place in Edmonton. Our family of 5 has done so today. However we should not have been processed there unless we had been in Canada for at least 1 year before applying for PR. Somehow we slipped through the checks and didn't discover this until the end.

Hopefully this information will bring some clarification for those wishing to land at Canada Place.

Rob
Oh Rob

Congratuations to all of you - party time !!!

Gaynor
x
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

The rumours....

The conclusion....

Rob
Rob, thanks for that very informative and conclusive post.
Also, many congratulations to you all on "landing" and getting your PR status.

Rob.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

However, I have learned something about landing in Canada Place. They only process PR for applicants who have applied from within Canada and have been in the Country for at least 1 year.

The conclusion....
It is possible to land at Canada Place in Edmonton. Our family of 5 has done so today. However we should not have been processed there unless we had been in Canada for at least 1 year before applying for PR.

Rob
Hi Rob,

Thanks for that! Do you happen to know whether having a work permit was one of the criteria? It's just that I fit the being in Canada for 1 year before applying for PR, applying through the "within Canada" route, etc., but I was/am on an extended visitor's visa, not a WP.

Thanks,
Alex
Old Jul 20th 2007, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

The rumours....

The conclusion....

Rob
You don't know if you didn't try.
Congratulations to you all for the successful landing
at Canada Place in Edmonton
Yoong
Old Jul 20th 2007, 8:48 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on your landing!

Typical Government employees though - no idea what they are doing!!!

Flossie
Old Jul 20th 2007, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

budda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant future

What a result Rob,

Well done mate. Good luck
Old Jul 20th 2007, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

rabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
Hi Rob,

Thanks for that! Do you happen to know whether having a work permit was one of the criteria? It's just that I fit the being in Canada for 1 year before applying for PR, applying through the "within Canada" route, etc., but I was/am on an extended visitor's visa, not a WP.

Thanks,
Alex
Thanks for the good wishes everyone.

Alex, I'm not sure if the work permit itself is part of the criteria. If it was, they didn't mention it. Theres definitely no harm in giving it a shot though!

Rob
Old Jul 20th 2007, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the good wishes everyone.

Alex, I'm not sure if the work permit itself is part of the criteria. If it was, they didn't mention it. Theres definitely no harm in giving it a shot though!

Rob
Congrats!!!!! (Forgot to say it on my last post, sorry!)

I will give it a try when the time comes. The problem is that it's >5 hrs drive from here to Edmonton, which is why I wanted to feel confident that it wouldn't be a wasted trip, but it's a lot more convenient than having to cross the border, so worth the risk I guess!
Old Jul 20th 2007, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

ladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to behold

Hurray Rob - congratulations on the PR and inadvertantly beating the system

Thanks so much for posting the info - looks like we won't have to cross the border after all - we fit all the criteria - now if only the PPR letter would come .. tick.... tock.... tick .....tock....
Old Jul 20th 2007, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Great news.....congratulations!!!!!!

Our turn now.....we have just received our paperwork today.

We are now off to Canada Place after lunch......

Linda
Old Jul 20th 2007, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Ok.....you can all have a laugh....

We arrived at Canada Place all excited at 3.14pm unfortunately it closes at 3pm and of course it had to be Friday !!!

We will now be landing on Monday

Linda
Old Jul 20th 2007, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Linda P
Ok.....you can all have a laugh....

We arrived at Canada Place all excited at 3.14pm unfortunately it closes at 3pm and of course it had to be Friday !!!

We will now be landing on Monday

Linda
First of all great news that your passports & papers came back!!
Secondly, an apology. I specifically checked the opening hours with them yesterday. I had meant to post the details of them being open 9am-3pm MDT each day, but I completely forgot. Sorry about that Linda

Hopefully all will go well for you on Monday. I guess it won't be the usual Monday feeling when you wake up
Old Jul 21st 2007, 3:43 am
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

congratulations rabrol! welcome to canada!

alex, that's the information i have about landing without border crossing for people that are already in canada:

R74(2) of the IRPA
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/showdoc...27///en?page=1
General
Obtaining status
74. (1) Subject to subsection (2), a skilled worker who meets the requirements of sections 76 and 77 must, in order to become a permanent resident, present their permanent resident visa to an officer at a port of entry.

Exception
(2) A skilled worker who meets the requirements of this Division may also become a permanent resident if they present their permanent resident visa to an officer at an office of the Department in Canada and provide evidence that they
(a) have an arranged employment under section 82; and
(b) hold a work permit, are working in Canada and have done so for at least one year preceding the date of their application for a permanent resident visa.
i guess in-canada-landing doesn't work if you have goods to follow though... (i'm going to find that out as soon as i get my copr - i meet the requirements for the exeption but have still stuff waiting for shipping...)

Last edited by lof; Jul 21st 2007 at 4:03 am.
Old Jul 21st 2007, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.