Bed sizes

Old Jul 11th 2007, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

jojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant future
Default Bed sizes

Hi,
we're just getting round to packing up the house (fingers crossed for PR in the next month ) and have been trying to decide what to bring. Our beds are very old but the bed linen isn't. Someone said that bed sizes are different in NZ. If I bring duvet covers and sheets, will they fit?

Also what do you all suggest? Bring loads or get rid of all the rubbish before we leave? I am a compulsive hoarder so this could be just the incentive I need to declutter!

Jo
Old Jul 11th 2007, 7:05 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Bed sizes

Bringing your bed linens is a good idea.

Also, yeah, get rid of the clutter. My general rule is if I haven't worn something in a year, out it goes. If I haven't used something in a year, out it goes. Less to pack and less to unpack. Don't let your possessions own you.

Yeah, I know. If you wanted a sermon you'd go to church.

Old Jul 11th 2007, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojobooster
Hi,
we're just getting round to packing up the house (fingers crossed for PR in the next month ) and have been trying to decide what to bring. Our beds are very old but the bed linen isn't. Someone said that bed sizes are different in NZ. If I bring duvet covers and sheets, will they fit?

Also what do you all suggest? Bring loads or get rid of all the rubbish before we leave? I am a compulsive hoarder so this could be just the incentive I need to declutter!

Jo
Bing your bedding. We bought extra duvets. I've never been able to find fitted valanced sheets, either fitted sheets or valanced box under matress sheets.
Bedding comes as queen or king size. Most beds are king size.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

jojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant future

Thanks for the speedy response.
Life laundry here I come
Old Jul 11th 2007, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute

The bed sizes are different:

Single - 3'0" x 6'2"/920 x 1880mm (UK 3'x 6ft 3"/900 X 1900 mm)
Single XL - 3'0" x 6'8" /920 x 2030mm
King Single - 3'6" x 6'8" /1070 x 2030mm
Double - 4'6" x 6'2"/1350 x 1880mm (UK 4 ft 6 in x 6ft 3in/1350x 1900 mm)
Queen - 5'0" x 6'8"/1500 x 2030mm
King - 5'6" x 6'8"/1650 x 2030mm (UK 5'x 6' 6"/1500 x 2000 mm)
Super King - 6'0" x 6'8"/1830 x 2030mm (UK 6' x 6' 6" 1830 x 2000 mm)
Old Jul 11th 2007, 11:16 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Kingsize in UK is Queen here

Double in the UK would be almost a King Single here
Old Jul 12th 2007, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

Kerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to all

Agree with Boopy, bring your bed linen!

I wish we had brought more duvets for people staying over. I bought a couple whilst over here and they are not ideal! Might get my son to bring one back from the UK next year

I think our best investment has to be the electric blanket. It got to a point that I was dreading going to bed on an evening as it was sooo cold under the duvet (good UK duvet too). Took me a while to warm my cold toes up on my partner. Don't need to now though
Old Jul 12th 2007, 11:12 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kerry W

I wish we had brought more duvets for people staying over. I bought a couple whilst over here and they are not ideal! Might get my son to bring one back from the UK next year

I think our best investment has to be the electric blanket. It got to a point that I was dreading going to bed on an evening as it was sooo cold under the duvet (good UK duvet too). Took me a while to warm my cold toes up on my partner. Don't need to now though
I am so cold that I have worn bedsocks as socks all day in the UK. I have carried a hot water bottle under my jacket shopping in Aberdeen. My husband refers to me as the 'thermal vampire' as I leech the heat out of him in bed. Lord knows how I am going to survive the inside of my house in a Kiwi winter!! The weather isn't that bad at all, I just haven't adjusted to sleeping in a cold room yet
Old Jul 12th 2007, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kerry W

I agree bring it all.

As for the electric blanket.... I'd never used one before but now its just the best thing in the world!! lol I just love getting into bed now.... its all toasty and warm.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

The cheaper end of bed linen here is practically see through and would make good net curtains! I've never seen anything like it!

The expensive end of bedlinen is what you'd expect to buy in any medium priced store in the UK.

Bring your bedlinen - even if you don't want it, you'll make a bomb selling it on TradeMe.