Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Has anyone taken pets ashes back to the uk?

Has anyone taken pets ashes back to the uk?

Old Jul 10th 2007, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

gypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to behold
Default Has anyone taken pets ashes back to the uk?

We will be taking our dogs remains (ashes) back with us and Id prefer they travel with us either carry on or at least on the same plane rather than with the furniture.
Has anyone had any expeience of this? Im not sure what the laws are with the planes and entering the Uk with them. I have certificates that it is her remains but dont know if that will be enough.
Thanks for any help.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

Shivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone taken pets ashes back to the uk?

No experience but if it was me I'd probably feel better sending them via Fed Ex.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

fitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by gypsygirl
We will be taking our dogs remains (ashes) back with us and Id prefer they travel with us either carry on or at least on the same plane rather than with the furniture.
Has anyone had any expeience of this? Im not sure what the laws are with the planes and entering the Uk with them. I have certificates that it is her remains but dont know if that will be enough.
Thanks for any help.
hi there,we took both our dogs ashes with us when we moved from scotland to perth,they were included with the household contents in the container,we are planning on moving back to scotland in october this year, where we will include them yet again in the container,we had no problems first time round.
i enquired a few years ago before our move, to australian customs with regards to shipment of dogs ashes and was told that there would be no problem as it's not live food or animal contents.
there should'nt be a problem with the ashes returning with you but i would doubly check with cutoms and excise just to be certain.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

fitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to all

go into the main australian forum and put in a search for {taking ashes to oz}
there's a few replies that may help.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

gypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to behold

Thanks, Ill try the UK customs and see where we go from there I guess! Do you think the USA customs will want to know too?
Old Jul 11th 2007, 3:05 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for any help.
We moved our dog's ashes from the UK to USA. They went in the container and I don't think they were even itemised. I have a feeling they just ended up as 'Kitchen utensils".
But we had no problems.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Shivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Ill try the UK customs and see where we go from there I guess! Do you think the USA customs will want to know too?
I think Customs only really care about things going in not out.

Last edited by Sue; Jul 14th 2007 at 3:39 am. Reason: Quoted from deleted post removed.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 7:59 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for any help.
Tape a copy of the certificate to the box and put them in your suitcase. Then carry the original certificate on your person and only mention anything if they do. It will be fine
Old Jul 12th 2007, 5:54 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for any help.

i've witnessed two peeps over the yrs carrying their husband's ashes inside the cabin however that was prior to 9/11...best to check with your airline.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

I think your best bet is to contact your airport security authority and or airline to see what their guidelines are.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 6:38 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you thought about scattering them somewhere beautiful where you are before you leave? Your pet moved on to another place. I can understand you would want to be respectful in what you did with the ashes, but is it necessary to take them back to England? I am not judging, just asking if you had considered other options. I have no idea where you are located, but services like this are sure to be found worldwide - http://www.geocities.com/sfscattering/pets/our.html

Do not stand at my grave and weep;
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there. I did not die.
- Author Unknown

Thanks for any help.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

Squidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really nice

Thanks for any help.
As & when you find out please let me know as I want to take our dog's ashes back with us when we leave NZ at the end of the year
Old Jul 15th 2007, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Ann & Paul is a jewel in the roughAnn & Paul is a jewel in the roughAnn & Paul is a jewel in the roughAnn & Paul is a jewel in the roughAnn & Paul is a jewel in the rough

We took our cats ashes into Australia with no problem and likewise brought them back to the UK. Both times I carried them in my hand luggage and didn't even mention them coming back into the UK. I had declared them going through Perth Airport and just had to show the box to the custom's lady who I think thought I was a little crazy so just waved me through!!